4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen transmission resistor is A MUST DO

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 AM
MrL
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Thanks 97SE for the MAF link. I wrote a few post back about the trans speed shifter. I have seen some have like a large gear type end on one side and I also see others that don't. Which one is for my 2001 Maxima the one with or without the gear thing at the end. The one I'm replacing is behind the drivers side front wheel.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MrL
Thanks 97SE for the MAF link. I wrote a few post back about the trans speed shifter. I have seen some have like a large gear type end on one side and I also see others that don't. Which one is for my 2001 Maxima the one with or without the gear thing at the end. The one I'm replacing is behind the drivers side front wheel.
well it depends if its a gxe, gle, or SE. Based off which one of these three is your car only then you will be able to find the right car.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 PM

Did this last month and it made no difference for me. Oh well.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 AM

I have a 98 maxima SE, has about 100k on it. Just got it about a month ago. Trans seems to shift smooth, but I feel like it shifts a little to early. It's like I really need to put the pedal to the floor to wind out the motor before it shifts, otherwise it upshifts to the next gear and need to floor it again to get it to downshift. Basically I'd prefer if it shifted a little later if I'm accelerating moderatly hard (but not floored). Could the resistor mentioned in this thread have an affect on this? Fairly certain it's still the original.

Also, is anyone aware if these auto transmissions have what's known as a "torque lock"? (A device that mechanically engages the torque converter so it's mechanically locked once you are in overdrive and cruising with steady or light acceleration. You can notice when it kicks in, kind of like a "5th" gear. It disengages as soon as you accelerate a bit, and you can see the rpm's kick up slight when it does)

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:54 AM
Black Lion

Do you know if your AT has an upgraded Valve body? Mine does and it shifts earlier with a noticeable kick/pull when it changes gear.

What you're describing seems to be like using the over drive. That's exactly how my car behaves when using that option.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Do you know if your AT has an upgraded Valve body? Mine does and it shifts earlier with a noticeable kick/pull when it changes gear.

What you're describing seems to be like using the over drive. That's exactly how my car behaves when using that option.
I doubt my car has an upgraded valve body. Guy I bought the car from had less than zero mechanical knowledge and does not know what a transmission is (he only know's that he had car, and the key turned it on). Lucky for me he had the sense to bring it to the dealer for service for the life of the car so it was very well maintained)

Regarding the second part of my question: Figured this out. It's what's known as "Lock Up Control". It's not the car actually shifting into 4th (overdrive) but It's normal and it only occurs if the car is in overdrive. Basically, if conditions are correct (As explained in the image below taken from the FSM) once you are in overdrive (4th gear) "Lock Up Control" will then engage. This locks the torque converter mechanically, thus eliminating slip and allowing direct mechanical connection from the engine when conditions allow. Some people may notice when this occurs, although it's subtle. It kind of feels like the car is shifting into a 5th gear, even though it's only a 4speed. See image below:

Last edited by wdornbach; 05-30-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Man, Im having the exact same issues with my 2000 maxima, as i accelerate out of a stop sign turning the car delays the 1st to 2nd. did the resistor solve your issue or did you also have to change the vehicle speed sensor as well? thank you
Old 04-20-2020, 05:58 PM

I wanna say it could be the tcc solenoid or the actual
tc cant say maybe the clutch bands and discs are starting to slip. Don't know what to say without proper explanation of your problems to help address the issues.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnie nemonic
Hey Man, Im having the exact same issues with my 2000 maxima, as i accelerate out of a stop sign turning the car delays the 1st to 2nd. did the resistor solve your issue or did you also have to change the vehicle speed sensor as well? thank you
Change your solenoid pack....
Old 04-21-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Change your solenoid pack....
See thread below:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...solenoids.html

It seems this member changed his solenoids and still had the 1-2 gear shift problem. I've had the same issue a few years since i bought the car, nice pull from a full stop, but delay 1-2 gear from a rolling stop. Chased it for a while, but pretty much gave up.
Just came across this thread now. I think i may try the resistor its cheap and easy compared to dropping the tranny pan for the solonoid pack.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxBK
See thread below:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...solenoids.html

It seems this member changed his solenoids and still had the 1-2 gear shift problem. I've had the same issue a few years since i bought the car, nice pull from a full stop, but delay 1-2 gear from a rolling stop. Chased it for a while, but pretty much gave up.
Just came across this thread now. I think i may try the resistor its cheap and easy compared to dropping the tranny pan for the solonoid pack.
A defective solenoid pack will have extremely hard shift at all times most gears. I had this problem as well and the check engine light also illuminated giving me a p0745 code which is for the line pressure solenoid valve. So if you car does not shift extremely hard to the point where you feel it will break something and does not have a check engine light then it's most likely not your solenoids. Try the resistor.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:49 AM

Good info, thanks. Part ordered. I will update after install.

Also, checked the resistance on my original one: 12.2 ohms. Yes, this is within spec., but i agree with you, I also have had experiences with sensors and such that measure within spec., but still mis-behave.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:14 AM

New resistor tested at 12.4 ohms. Installed new resistor a few days ago, no change. Again the issue is only noticeable if I nail the gas from a rolling stop, like it doesn't downshift from 2 to 1 fast enough, then when it does its a little harsh. If i come to a full stop, it will properly downshift then pull like a mother when I nail it like it should.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:17 PM

It sounds like a slipping clutch band or a drum banging real hard because of the clutch bands loose. Trans might be the issue or the issue might be a short in the tcm. I have this same issue what your having but when i am coming down to stop real fast from a 60mph gradually stopping. The issue for what i have is a p0720 rev sensor shorted. Do a scan for codes in the ecu and tcm stored codes. If you have no codes it's like what i said it's the trans reverse drum banging real hard going or stopping.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
It sounds like a slipping clutch band or a drum banging real hard because of the clutch bands loose. Trans might be the issue or the issue might be a short in the tcm. I have this same issue what your having but when i am coming down to stop real fast from a 60mph gradually stopping. The issue for what i have is a p0720 rev sensor shorted. Do a scan for codes in the ecu and tcm stored codes. If you have no codes it's like what i said it's the trans reverse drum banging real hard going or stopping.
Thx for info, no codes here showing or stored. Problem has been there since I bought the car, about 4 years and roughly 60k miles. Hasn’t gotten any worse. Definitely not at the point of rebuilding/ replacing the trans. Like I said before, I gave up chasing this rabbit, just kinda came across this thread one day and said hmm.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a Million! Saved me from much headaches!

Hi,

I'm a newbie here but I just had to thank all the knowledgeable people in this thread, you guys saved me time, money and headaches!! I have a 97 maxima SE, AT Trans with 330000 original miles that I've owned for over 17yrs and the car runs like a dream!! That's was until in I was having problems with my tranny shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. I was thinking great now the trans is finally going and I wasn't looking forward to having to swap one out from the junkyard. I thought to myself, I really don't want to buy another car especially since this one drives perfect until now, so I started searching the Internet to see what I could find on this problem oh, just a side note, I have never changed the transmission fluid and it still shifts perfect. I know I know I should have done it but just been lazy, lol. I was like damn I hope I don't have to junk this car it's been one solid and very reliable car for me all these years, never had engine or trans problems. It is a little rusty on the quarter panels but everything works perfect in the car! Well, to make a long story short after reading different posts I decided to try and swap out the solenoids, but nothing! The same problem. I Was a little down and disappointed because I really love this car it has a lot of sentimental value but I did not want to invest in a transmission so I decided to give it one more shot and kept reading and came across where someone said they had a similar problem but they changed the drop resistor. I didn't even know what that was, never even heard of it! Lol, but after some researching I went to the junkyard today and the guy at the counter gave it to me for free! I put it in my car and BAM!! now my car runs like a dream again!! Woo-hoo!! I'm so happy!! thank you everyone if it wasn't for this thread I probably would have said good bye to old faithful...😆 but not today!! Hopefully it makes it to another 300k!!
Old 01-09-2021, 03:41 PM
Black Lion

Running like a dream

Originally Posted by danny1025
Hi,

I'm a newbie here but I just had to thank all the knowledgeable people in this thread, you guys saved me time, money and headaches!! I have a 97 maxima SE, AT Trans with 330000 original miles that I've owned for over 17yrs and the car runs like a dream!! That's was until in I was having problems with my tranny shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. I was thinking great now the trans is finally going and I wasn't looking forward to having to swap one out from the junkyard. I thought to myself, I really don't want to buy another car especially since this one drives perfect until now, so I started searching the Internet to see what I could find on this problem oh, just a side note, I have never changed the transmission fluid and it still shifts perfect. I know I know I should have done it but just been lazy, lol. I was like damn I hope I don't have to junk this car it's been one solid and very reliable car for me all these years, never had engine or trans problems. It is a little rusty on the quarter panels but everything works perfect in the car! Well, to make a long story short after reading different posts I decided to try and swap out the solenoids, but nothing! The same problem. I Was a little down and disappointed because I really love this car it has a lot of sentimental value but I did not want to invest in a transmission so I decided to give it one more shot and kept reading and came across where someone said they had a similar problem but they changed the drop resistor. I didn't even know what that was, never even heard of it! Lol, but after some researching I went to the junkyard today and the guy at the counter gave it to me for free! I put it in my car and BAM!! now my car runs like a dream again!! Woo-hoo!! I'm so happy!! thank you everyone if it wasn't for this thread I probably would have said good bye to old faithful...😆 but not today!! Hopefully it makes it to another 300k!!
that’s really awesome. I’m happy to hear your story and I’m glad there’s guys around who still love their Maxima dearly like me. I’ve owned mine since 1997 so cheers to you and keep enjoying it.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, will do, you do the same, they don't make em like they used too!! Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-17-2022, 09:53 AM

My problem finally fixed. Changed all motor mounts. No more delay downshifting to take off when I hit the gas, she pulls right away. I think possibly had something to do with the front electronic mount, because I initially did an in-place poly fill/ paired with granny driving as a temporary fix and unplugged the harness. At that point it did not seem to hesitate as much.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:31 PM

Depin transmission resistor connector

I noticed on my 1998 infiniti i30 that a wire was hanging from the connector to the transmission drop resistor and I can’t figure out how to depin this connector. If anyone knows how I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and God bless.