4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I overfilled my transmission by 3 quarts, this is what happened:

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 PM

I overfilled my transmission by 3 quarts, this is what happened:

So...I broke my transmission pan-drop cherry, basically did the whole drain/flush and filter screen replacement for the first time on my Max with 318,000+ miles. Also cleaned the magnets. The screen was fine, however there were some metallic particles in one section, and the magnets were coated with metallic gunk that seemed to make the magnets appear 'alive'...though the fluid after probably 100,000 miles was fairly okay...but I think it was losing its additive package and causing the trans to act weird a couple times. So, decided to do a bit of preventative maintenance.

Well, I've done the flush on a previous Toyota. But, I hadn't full understand on this one. I didn't know trans would flow out of radiator spout, not the hose I pulled from the radiator. Needless to say, I turned the car on and fluid sprayed everywhere (which is why I lay a large tarp on floor whenever working on fluids).

Long story short, besides what I caught in the pan, I couldn't tell how much to add or how much I lost. Filled with 2 gallon jugs plus 2.5 quart jugs...thinking the flush got all the fluid.

I knew from the dipstick it was over full. Way over full. But I didn't feel like draining it so said F it. Car drove fine. But, I went thru a drive thru last night and while idling, my temp gauge started going up. Car was beginning to overheat. It got very hot, so turned the heater on so I wouldn't blow a gasket.

Next morning, tried to syphon from dipstick. No luck. So just did the return line drain from radiator and in less than a minute I was able to get almost a gallon out. I only put back about 3/4 quarts before it was to the full on hot line. The jug had over 2 quarts left...that I put in excess.

So yeah, moral of story don't overfill transmission lol. I got it to the right level and it's shifting beautifully now. Don't think I ****ed anything up, but that was a close one. That said, the whole procedure could have been easier, but it's a pain and I can't get the smell of transmission fluid out of my apartment.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:33 AM

why would the smell be in your apartment? is your garage in your apartment or where you huffing tranny fluid? i would check the level again today to be on the safe side, you know how tranny fluid gets sucked in to trans and all. be careful with that, could force a leak somewhere.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Hey, I think it's because just from different siphoning tubes lying around and the containers for Vavolne MaxLife (or likely all transmission fluids) seem to allow the smell of the fluid to seep out. I cleaned everything up good so the smell is fading.

I rechecked the fluid today after driving and warming up and it's within the same grated section of the dipstick. No leaks...I had to pretty much jack up the car again and go under it to pull the hose. but it was overfilled for only a few miles before I caught the overheating.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:37 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Amount of trans fluid has nothing to do with the car over heating.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
Hey, I think it's because just from different siphoning tubes lying around and the containers for Vavolne MaxLife (or likely all transmission fluids) seem to allow the smell of the fluid to seep out. I cleaned everything up good so the smell is fading.

I rechecked the fluid today after driving and warming up and it's within the same grated section of the dipstick. No leaks...I had to pretty much jack up the car again and go under it to pull the hose. but it was overfilled for only a few miles before I caught the overfilling.
Fixed that for ya?

Otherwise good write up.