4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just bought my first Maxima! (w/question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Just bought my first Maxima! (w/question)

Well, after lusting after Maximas for almost 20 years, I finally got myself one. It's a Forest Green '99 SE 5 speed with 60,000 miles and almost no rust, but fortunately there are enough small issues with it that I still have something to tinker with

I have found the answer to many of my questions by searching, but perhaps someone can answer one for me real quick- did all '99 Maximas come with keyless entry? And if not, how can I tell if mine has it? I think my car is a relatively stripped down version, I don't have leather, auto climate control, ABS, Bose, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Hello and

Remote keyless entry was optional on both the GXE and SE. Came standard on the GLE.

Do you have a Homelink in your visor? illuminated visor vanity mirrors? variable intermittent wipers? Because if you do, then you have the optional remote keyless entry which was part of the SE Security and Convenience Package. All you'll need then is a keyfob which can be bought here in the classifieds or on Ebay for $10 to $40 (depending on condition). Programming the keyfob is easy and only takes a few minutes.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 PM

Darn it!

Thank you for the quick response. I have none of those things- my visor mirrors are dark, my intermittent wipers do not vary... it looks like I will be stuck fumbling around for my keys... this is still a step up though, my last car must have been one of the last ones to come with crank windows!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:04 PM

While seeing if other options are present on the car, I think the best way to determine if the car has the keyless entry is to look in the trunk for the receiver unit.

It would be located on the right side of the car, in front of the power antenna. You need to remove the trim panel on the right side and it will be bolted onto the vertical structural panel on the fender side.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Dennis, can the receiver unit be added after the fact? Is the harness there and therefore PnP?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM

I've never done it but I know it can be done. More parts are needed besides the receiver unit. I know you need a different BCM, a solenoid for trunk opening and a Y-splitter from the rear window antenna to the receiver box. There may be more parts needed, but I don't know. I think the wire harnesses are there.

A person who has done this is Amerikaner83, but he doesn't seem to be very active anymore. He asked lots of questions as he added the feature and would talk about various details from time to time, but I don't think he ever did a how-to.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:37 PM

talks about it in his thread..I think all the information is there.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Here you go. About $60 or so in used parts to make it happen. Details in this thread.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ess-entry.html

Cliffnotes:
Parts needed
1) correct BCM
2) receiver module with antennae wire
3) relay (for trunk pop function)
4) keyfob
Old 10-08-2014, 10:46 AM
nap

Hi and welcome.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Welcome Sir and happy stay
Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 AM

ahhhh, time to relax and call another new max owner a ROOKIE please use the search function as often as possible, and enjoy!!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the links for the wireless entry stuff, it looks very doable and will be added to the list!

Meanwhile I am just sorting out the little things- broken antenna mast, missing lugnut, duplicate keys, etc- and my next big layout will be tires- to begin with, somehow my SE (yes it definitely is it has the "V" code on the firewall tag) ended up with 15" GLE wheels. And to add insult to injury, it has four completely different tires on it, which makes for some squirrelly handling dynamics.

In any case I have been on one car forum or another for the last 15 years, have learned tons, and look forward to learning more here!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Welcome. Nice score with that '99. 60K on the odo, sweeeeet. Looks like she's had a rough 60k but she's worth the TLC.

Last edited by progrocker; 10-10-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:29 AM

Welcome to the .Org, and congrats on the pristine purchase!

The searchbar is your best source for useful information, and users like Aviator and George_ are your worst sources for information.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by LocalMaxima
Well, after lusting after Maximas for almost 20 years, I finally got myself one. It's a Forest Green '99 SE 5 speed with 60,000 miles and almost no rust, but fortunately there are enough small issues with it that I still have something to tinker with

I have found the answer to many of my questions by searching, but perhaps someone can answer one for me real quick- did all '99 Maximas come with keyless entry? And if not, how can I tell if mine has it? I think my car is a relatively stripped down version, I don't have leather, auto climate control, ABS, Bose, etc.

Thanks!
WHERES the PICS????
man 60k sounds allmost to good to be true...good luck with the ride

Last edited by max-nutcase; 10-10-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:22 AM

According to the carfax the car lived its life in the Bronx, so it has its fair share of dings and scratches on the exterior, along with some peeling clearcoat, but drives really tight and solid and I have no reason to doubt the mileage...

Funnily the dealer still has it advertised (incorrectly as a GLE), as you can see in the link, even though it is currently paid for and in my driveway!

My new car on ebay
Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by LocalMaxima
According to the carfax the car lived its life in the Bronx, so it has its fair share of dings and scratches on the exterior, along with some peeling clearcoat, but drives really tight and solid and I have no reason to doubt the mileage...

Funnily the dealer still has it advertised (incorrectly as a GLE), as you can see in the link, even though it is currently paid for and in my driveway!

My new car on ebay
Hows ur lower radiator support?
lookin at those pics, is that the swirl valve that is right below the throttle body ...i dont have a cali spec max,and im not lookin at mine right now but it kinda looks like u have somting mine doesnt...could be wrong tho

Last edited by max-nutcase; 10-10-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:25 AM

The radiator support seems solid, but does show some rust (thanks to this forum I knew to check it before I bought it!). I am hoping I can grind off the rust that is there and coat it in Rustoleum and avoid any bigger hassle (watch me hold my breath)

I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time under the hood yet, so I am not quite sure what the thing you are talking about in the picture is.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Welcome to the ORG.

I have a black 99 SE 5-speed with ~75,000 miles on the engine and over ~180,000 miles on the body) and a 99 I30 with ~275,000 miles. Some people like to double their fun and/or trouble. Ha!

One item to keep in the back of your mind on a 99 model is that it has a NATS immobilizer system that will keep the car from starting if the correct key is not used for starting.
Once the car has been immobilized (e.g. when the security light stays on all of the time), it takes special software to reset the system. It can cost from $100 to $200 at a dealer for a NATS reset.

This may not happen to you. However, I have learned by reading and first hand costly experiences that the NATS immobilizer can be accidentally tripped. I've had cases when the car would not start (either by failure or for a compression test) when the drivers door was left open and an attempt to start the car more than 3 times resulted in accidental immobilization. Since I started keeping the driver's door closed when I know the car may not start for whatever reason, and I know I will be hitting the starter multiple times, I've been able to avoid accidental NATS immobilization.

Had someone told me this earlier in my 99 ownership experience, I may have avoided at least one or two accidental immobilizations.

Just search the 4th gen forum for keyword NATS to read up on the immobilizer and how to avoid trouble.

Last edited by CS_AR; 10-11-2014 at 06:50 AM.