4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need help badly!! 4th GEN MAX

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need help badly!! 4th GEN MAX

So, I own a maxima 96 and I have had it for almost 2 years. I fixed everything up on it and now I have came across 3 problems that are driving me absolutely insane.

The first problem is really bad rattling. It sounds like it can be loose plastic jumping up and down, but when go to look underneath the car (where the noise is coming from), there are no loose parts. So I am currently completely clueless on what this problem could be. The rattling was always there since I purchased the car.

The second problem is some sort of leak inside of the engine. I recently cleaned the engine up (somewhat) and later on that day, I looked in my hood and i saw some sort of dried liquid all over my right side of the engine. It looks like the fan in the front splattered it all back, it only splatters while I'm driving too so i can't see where its actually coming from.

The third problem is my turn signal. Everytime I put on my right turn signal, it flickers like its on crack. Now, I understand that when that happens, it means I have to change a bulb, which I did, and it didn't fix anything. Another thing is when I use my hazard lights, all four flashers should be blinking, but the front right turn signal wasn't flashing at all. In addition to all this, all 3 of my dome lights are out. I changed all the bulbs for them and it's still nothing. My ignition light is out aswell so I do not have a green glowing ring around it. My door panel lights went out too, so i basically have no lighting on the inside of my car. I checked ALL of my fuses and all of them are fine. I also checked all of the holders in the fuse panel and found out that one specific holder is only getting 6 volts instead of a constant 12 volts.

I don't know what I did wrong and I need helppp!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM

What color liquid, one of the turn signal bulb is out or the wire itself is shorted, just last night I notice my wiper bottle was rattling when I drive over bumps
Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Administrator

1. Check the inner wheel well plastic that wraps around the bottom. If loose, it will rattle like crazy.

2. Your radiator is shot. Look closely and I bet you'll see coolant fluid right where the metal meets the plastic top.

3. ?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LuminousX
What color liquid, one of the turn signal bulb is out or the wire itself is shorted, just last night I notice my wiper bottle was rattling when I drive over bumps
it looks like it could be anti-freeze
Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
1. Check the inner wheel well plastic that wraps around the bottom. If loose, it will rattle like crazy.

2. Your radiator is shot. Look closely and I bet you'll see coolant fluid right where the metal meets the plastic top.

3. ?
1)and i just noticed today actually that its both sides that have the rattling. if i drive on smooth road, rarely hear anything but when i go onto a bumpy road, its an annoying noise and it just wont stop
2)thats what i was thinking the problem was but i just wanted to be sure. theres fluid all over my engine its ridiculous
3)its a hard problem to explain, im basically not getting enough power into the switch that turns the signal on. the connector is getting 6Volts instead of 12V. my mind is set on that it is a short somewhere but i have no clue where it could possibly be in the car
Old 07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Administrator

You're playing with fire by driving with a bad radiator. Inspect and replace it NOW before it's too late. In the meantime, I hope you're keeping your eyes glued to your coolant temp gauge as you drive...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:31 PM

You're playing with fire by driving with a bad radiator. Inspect and replace it NOW before it's too late. In the meantime, I hope you're keeping your eyes glued to your coolant temp gauge as you drive...
i would'nt even drive it until you replace the rad. i knew a local org guy who blew his motor cause he wasn't putting enough anti-freeze in there, mostly water and that max is history.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i would'nt even drive it until you replace the rad. i knew a local org guy who blew his motor cause he wasn't putting enough anti-freeze in there, mostly water and that max is history.
what can happen if i wait too long for the radiator?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 AM

The radiator will no longer contain the coolant. Then your engine will over heat and you can ruin it. Apparently its leaking now and as mentioned above, even by putting more fluid back in there you can still ruin the motor if the mix isnt right.

And the radiator could just decide to blow and leave you stranded on the side of the road. I have had to replace a radiator on the side of a major interstate. Do yourself a favor and replace it now instead of chancing it because its not a question of whether it will or wont, its a question of when and where.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by matts95max
The radiator will no longer contain the coolant. Then your engine will over heat and you can ruin it. Apparently its leaking now and as mentioned above, even by putting more fluid back in there you can still ruin the motor if the mix isnt right.

And the radiator could just decide to blow and leave you stranded on the side of the road. I have had to replace a radiator on the side of a major interstate. Do yourself a favor and replace it now instead of chancing it because its not a question of whether it will or wont, its a question of when and where.
i just talked to my father about it and he said he is going to take me to a strictly radiator guy, so he will take it apart, drop it in water and pump air through it to see where the leak is coming from. from there he is just gonna patch the holes with whatever he has and just place it back in. so im getting that checked on tuesday, when i come back from vacation.
thanks for the response, glad everyone is willing to help me out (:
Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by minipudd5
i just talked to my father about it and he said he is going to take me to a strictly radiator guy, so he will take it apart, drop it in water and pump air through it to see where the leak is coming from. from there he is just gonna patch the holes with whatever he has and just place it back in. so im getting that checked on tuesday, when i come back from vacation.
thanks for the response, glad everyone is willing to help me out (:
IMO, you're just wasting your time and effort repairing a radiator.
You want to repair such a crucial item as the radiator and take your chances? I'd want the piece of mind knowing I have a new trustworthy radiator. Let's say the radiator guy does fix it, it's just a ticking time bomb before a new leak starts somewhere else weeks or months from now.

99% of the time our radiators leak where the metal meets the plastic top. For the time and effort the radiator guy is going to charge...let's say $60 to $75 for sake of argument, you can have a new radiator for just a little more, $120 from Autozone, Pepboys etc. Even if the radiator guy is a friend and does it for free, I still wouldn't put a repaired radiator in my car when a new one is affordable.

FWIW, you can get a brand new radiator shipped to your door for $51.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R2-NEW-Radia...0b8857&vxp=mtr
Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM

I would not cut corners with a cooling system component.

Take a look at this thread to get a feel for the financial loss and hardship that can occur from driving with a bad radiator.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ine-blown.html

:
Old 07-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just replaced my radiator a few days ago. There are a lot of choices out there including the group priced Japanese made radiator here on this site. I bought a Denso brand (made in Taiwan) radiator from RockAuto for $61.78. I can confirm that it is an exact replacement with no problems.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM

this looks nice....http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-COR...a9d14f&vxp=mtr.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by max ride 41
Mine is cheaper by 35cents.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:31 AM

Mine is cheaper by 35cents.
mine is a racing rad and stays cooler by 20%, so ha!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Look at this story where a busted radiator led to a blown motor on an otherwise great, reliable car;

Instead of maybe $400(in your case $150) to replace the radiator, they now have to come up with $thousands$ to replace the car.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Look at this story where a busted radiator led to a blown motor on an otherwise great, reliable car;

Instead of maybe $400(in your case $150) to replace the radiator, they now have to come up with $thousands$ to replace the car.

Although a good point, you just echoed post #12...
Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Although a good point, you just echoed post #12...
Doh! Although I think my intro was better.