4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1997 Maxima Airbag light flashing (no error codes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 PM

1997 Maxima Airbag light flashing (no error codes)

i have a 1997 maxima (cloth seats, automatic)..airbag light flashes.. It is hard to reset using the door trick..works after like 10 attempts. However, the light comes on shortly after. A friend of mine scanned (while light was flashing) and it showed no error codes. I'm stumped...where do I begin if there are no error codes. I tried two modules same far with the same result (one is from a 97 with 40k miles)

Last edited by QueensMAX; 07-01-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:49 PM

does the horn work? you can rule out the clockspring if it does i guess
Old 07-01-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
does the horn work? you can rule out the clockspring if it does i guess
yup horn works
Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 PM

mine went on cause my friend decided to put my passenger seat all the way back and down touching the rear seats... when I was at the gas station getting something, and shortly 2 days later after that my airbag went on and I am quite positive he stretched the wire underneath the seat for the airbags, Its been like this for 2 years and don't even bother with it. and my maxi has 131k miles on it.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 PM

I think there is a system of pushing the door close actuator in some sequence to reset it.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alaskus
I think there is a system of pushing the door close actuator in some sequence to reset it.
OP already stated they have done this.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM

I'm dumb.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JoshG
mine went on cause my friend decided to put my passenger seat all the way back and down touching the rear seats... when I was at the gas station getting something, and shortly 2 days later after that my airbag went on and I am quite positive he stretched the wire underneath the seat for the airbags, Its been like this for 2 years and don't even bother with it. and my maxi has 131k miles on it.
You have a 99 with side airbags, right? Easy fix.

UNPLUG THE BATTERY and wait 15 minutes or your airbags might DEPLOY!!!!
The side airbag has 2 connectors that are bright yellow. One is behind the seatback cover of the front seat, and the other is under the front seat...if you sit down and reach down under the seat, there it is.

Unplug and clean those connectors. Electrical parts cleaner etc. Plug them back in and done.

The flashing airbag light is trying to tell you which one is bad. You could figure it out by downloading the FSM, or just clean them both (driver and pass) and be done with it.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by QueensMAX
i have a 1997 maxima (cloth seats, automatic)..airbag light flashes.. It is hard to reset using the door trick..works after like 10 attempts. However, the light comes on shortly after. A friend of mine scanned (while light was flashing) and it showed no error codes. I'm stumped...where do I begin if there are no error codes. I tried two modules same far with the same result (one is from a 97 with 40k miles)
If it's anything like the 99s with side airbags, then maybe your steering and glovebox airbag have a corroded connection. The FSM will tell you how to read the flashing airbag code code that tells you which airbag is problematic, and it will also show you how to unplug and replug the connectors. Goto the RS (Restraint System) section for the airbags. If I were you I would just clean both connections, cause if one goes the other one must be soon to follow.

Download the FSM here;
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

Last edited by dwapenyi; 07-02-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 AM

what did he use to scan it? different but I had a 99 that had a flashing air bag light, but there was a code. and a tsb to fix

Classification:
RS00-001
Reference:
NTB00-043
Date:
1998-1999 MAXIMA SRS LIGHT FLASHING,
SIDE MODULE LH / RH [OPEN] OR CODE DA / 7A
This bulletin supersedes NTB98-070. Please discard previous paper copies of NTB98-070.

APPLIED VEHICLES:
1998-1999 Maxima (A32)
SERVICE INFORMATION

If a 1998 or 1999 Maxima has the SRS light flashing, and self-diagnosis indicates either Side Module LH [OPEN] (code DA) or Side Module RH [OPEN] (code 7A), install a SRS side air bag module of the type indicated in the Parts Information to resolve this incident. This new side air bag module (with long harness) replaces both the air bag module and the seat sub-harness.

CAUTION : DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR, SPLICE OR MODIFY ANY AIR BAG COMPONENTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Record all pre-set radio stations.
2. Use CONSULT to check SRS SELF DIAGNOSIS. Print SELF DIAGNOSIS results.
3. Depending on which seat the SRS SELF DIAGNOSIS references, position that seat's back in a upright position. Move the seat assembly into a middle position on the seat tracks. This is to allow access to both front and back seat track bolts.
4. Disconnect both battery cables.
WARNING : Before servicing the SRS, turn the ignition switch off, disconnect both battery cables and wait for at least three (3) minutes. Always work from the side of or underneath the air bag module, not in front of it.

5. Remove the seat back cover. There are four retaining clips (two middle and two bottom) and two "L" shaped brackets (at the top) securing the cover to the seat back. Refer to Figure 1. Start from the bottom and work upward. Take care not to damage the seat back cover or the retaining clips.
6. Disconnect the front seat harness connector going to the side airbag module. Unclip the one exposed front seat sub-harness mounting clip from the seat back assembly.
CAUTION : Using a felt tip marking pen, mark the location of this clip and all the locations of the harness mounting clips. Mark all the harness clips in the seat back area that will be removed. This is for reference during reassembly. Also note the harness routing and position.

7. Remove the # E10 TORX nuts from the air bag module as shown in Figure 2. Then remove the air bag module.
8. Install the appropriate SRS side air bag module from the Parts Information section of this bulletin. Torque the nuts to 43 - 87 in-lb.
NOTE : Use the new nuts that come with the air bag module. Do not reuse the old hardware.

CAUTION : Route the new SRS side air bag harness exactly in the same path as the original sub-harness, especially through the lower seat back/hinge area (see Figure 3). This will prevent any chaffing against any exposed sheet metal.
9. Remove the two rear, then the two front seat track bolts that secure the seat to the floor.
10. Tilt the seat assembly backward, exposing the bottom of the seat.
CAUTION : Do not pull or stress the seat to body harnesses.
11. Again note the routing of the front seat sub-harness. Using a felt tip marker, mark the mounting clip positions on the seat frame.
12. Disconnect the remaining connector and mounting clips, then remove the harness.
13. Continue routing the new harness and secure it in the same path as the original.
CAUTION : Be sure the new front seat harness is routed away from the any sharp sheet metal, and is not pulled or stressed.
14. Reattach the seat assembly onto the floor and torque retaining bolts to specification. Torque: 32-41 ft-lb
NOTE : For vehicles with manual seats, check the seat track operation. Ensure both left and right seat tracks latch at the same time.
15. Reinstall the seat back cover.
16. Reconnect the battery.
17. Reset the radio presets.
18. Confirm the SRS light goes out after turning on the ignition.
WARNING : Always work from the side of or underneath the air bag module, not in front of it.
19. Move the seat to the front, then the rear, then to the front again. Turn the ignition key off. Confirm the SRS light still goes out after turning the ignition on again.

PARTS INFORMATION

CLAIMS INFORMATION

Submit a Primary Failed Part (PP) line using the claims coding as shown.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by NSMO240
... a tsb to fix...

That's pretty much the encyclopedia britannica version of what I just said in post #8 LOL
Old 07-02-2014, 08:27 AM

and no I have a 96 white pearl gle, so I do not have side airbags.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
and no I have a 96 white pearl gle, so I do not have side airbags.
right, just saying, mine was flashing and had a code, im sure yours does too. how was it looked up?