4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please help loss of power and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help loss of power and hesitation

Ok so yesterday my car was driving fine all of a sudden when accelerating it began to buck and jump like skip,,please bare with me im trying to explain the best i know how lol pulled into my sisters driveway my nephew checked trans, oil and even drove it himself. He then decided to check my spark plugs. Well while removing the screws for the coil packs the one closet to the drivers side i believe number 6 (i have been trying to research things all night) was broken when he pulled it out the long part to the connector he pushed it back on but could that be a problem. Please someone help this is my only vehicle for work and its causing a major headacje because i have no clue as what it could be. A friend of mine told me to try this forum,,said i may get great info from you guys!!! Thank u in advance
...damsel in distress
Old 06-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Sounds like a misfire or maybe a bad MAF.

You need to scan for codes.
Local auto stores should do it free if you don't have one, but there are cheap ones online and such around $20.

Takes some of the guess work out.

Link to FSM is in my sig. <~very helpful.

Please report back with what your codes say and we can help from there.

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 06-15-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok thank you. So a misfire could come from a coil pack? And is the maf a sensor and can you tell me where that is located? My nephew has a reader but i was able to get my car home last night so hopefully he will be able to come over and check for me
Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Maxmax10
Ok thank you. So a misfire could come from a coil pack? And is the maf a sensor and can you tell me where that is located? My nephew has a reader but i was able to get my car home last night so hopefully he will be able to come over and check for me
Yes a misfire could come from a bad coilpack.

The arrow is pointing to the MAF. It's right next to your airbox.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:59 PM

The maf sensor if right near the battery, connected to the air filter cover.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:08 PM

Yes, a coil pack could cause a misfire. If that is happening the OBD code reader will show a P030X code, where the X is the cylinder number that has the misfire.

The MAF is in the big air tube between the air filter and the engine on the driver's side. Click on the link below and look on page 11 for a locator diagram.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1997/EC.pdf

The way Nissan numbers the cylinders is passenger side to driver's side.
by firewall: 1 3 5
by radiator: 2 4 6

So cylinders 1 and 2 are on the passenger side and cylinders 5 and 6 are on the driver's side.

Last edited by DennisMik; 06-15-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot to put in link - duhh
Old 06-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so loss of power is consisdered misfire lol again im sorry wish i knew more about cars. I watched a vid on youtube and it said that i can disconnect the maf sensor and if it cuts off its not bad? &amp; also if i were to do that and if it doesnt cut off could i take it around the block with it unplugged to see how it drives? Thank u guys so much for all the help this far
Old 06-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Ok so loss of power is consisdered misfire lol again im sorry wish i knew more about cars. I watched a vid on youtube and it said that i can disconnect the maf sensor and if it cuts off its not bad? &amp; also if i were to do that and if it doesnt cut off could i take it around the block with it unplugged to see how it drives? Thank u guys so much for all the help this far
You can idle without a MAF plugged in, but you can't drive around the block w/o it plugged in. It will stall.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
You can idle without a MAF plugged in, but you can't drive around the block w/o it plugged in. It will stall.
Awe ok thank u very much wizard so if it cuts off its something else and that coild be the coil pack. What is a throttle body sensor?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Loss of power cont.

Ok so yesterday i started my vehicle which started fine as always i noticed it was idle high eventually it dropped down. I tried taking it around the block and right when i got to about 20mph it started to buck and jump and then it cut off. It started righy back up i drove again and then it was like i pushed on the acellerator and it was nothing that happened vehicle wouldnt go let foot off pedal and it kinda i guess came back to life. Once again guys i have no idea about cars i just wanted to see if i gave more info if you guys still think the same thing coils or maf or something else. Thanks again

Damsel in distress
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Dear Damsel in distress,

Is the check engine light on?
It sounds almost like the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor failed.
You can check for error codes manually, there's a sticky thread above that will explain it to you.

Regards,
Help from a member.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Why the need for two threads? It's best to keep your all your info and questions in one thread. Threads merged.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Low Voltage after installing OBX Underdrive pulley

I recently installed a new OBX underdrive pulley on my 97 Max because the old stock one failed and after installing it I almost immediately started having issues with the car missfiring and accelerating roughly threw the RPMs. I checked the voltage coming from the battery and its not even 12 volts. More around 11.75 which means my alternator is not putting out the correct volts now Has anyone else had this issue because everything I read before I even bought the thing was that wouldn't be an issue. Please advise for a solution besides going back to a stock crank pulley.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 97Max0001234
I recently installed a new OBX underdrive pulley on my 97 Max because the old stock one failed and after installing it I almost immediately started having issues with the car missfiring and accelerating roughly threw the RPMs. I checked the voltage coming from the battery and its not even 12 volts. More around 11.75 which means my alternator is not putting out the correct volts now Has anyone else had this issue because everything I read before I even bought the thing was that wouldn't be an issue. Please advise for a solution besides going back to a stock crank pulley. Thanks!
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html
Do you have the correct belt?
Does it have a rough start issue also?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html
Do you have the correct belt?
Does it have a rough start issue also?

Yes i have the correct belt size after doing some research and going threw a couple different sizes but yes i have the right belt and there is plenty of tension on it so i don't believe that to be the problem.

And no I haven't up until I installed the pulley but its because the battery is low from being undercharged I'm guessing from the pulley because I can jump it right off with a jump box but my voltage is still low with the car running.

Again i had no issues what so ever until i put this part on. And even one of my mechanic friends said that USUALLY this isn't a problem with the underdrive pulleys...He's put them on several vehicles before with no problems so were both stumped besides going back to stock...
Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I had intermitant acceleration, and it was a bad coil pack. It was original so it lasted a long time.