4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch pedal returns half way

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM

Clutch pedal returns half way

Hello, I'm having issues with our notorious clutch pedals on my 99 maxima. A couple months ago I replaced my clutch with a spec stage 3 clutch and pressure plate. The flywheel I had purchased from a member here on the forum(oem flywheel) After completing the clutch I started the car up and immediately the car began misfiring. Turned out the tone plate was bent. So I had to do a second clutch job. 2nd time around it went smoothly. I rechecked everything like the fork and throw out bearing. Everything was cool Except for the part where going into gear (especially first was extremely difficult) it became more difficult with my ralco rz short shifter. The clutch pedal would have pressure about half way and stick. I replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and replaced the lines with the ss lines.(oe slave and master) I bled with someone pressing the pedal. I bled with a vacuum pump on the slave. I bled it with a pressure bleeder at the shop I worked at. And now it feels a little better but is still crap. Adjusted the rod on the master and still nothing. So I watched my pedal engage and disengage. I noticed the yellow rubber stopper is not lining up with the sensor that tells when the clutch is pushed in. It seems to come down lower and barely makes contact with the sensor. The spring is in tact but hits the chassis as it twists. The rod on the master comes All the way out of the master when not pushed in(not sure if that's normal) and the rod only gets depressed about half way into the master cylinder. Some advice on this problem would be awesome. I love my 4th gen but such a simple task is being such a pia. My next step is to go to the scrap yard and get another clutch assembly. Let me know what you guys think before I kick a dent in the door. I've done plenty of research along with researching other vehicles other than nissans that have the same problem.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Sorry I accidentally posted twice. I'm on my phone. Can mods take this one down?