4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alternator issues

My daughters car got the battery and brake light on the other day. I check the batt voltage and it was at 12v, turned the car on and check batt voltage again and it was less than before 11.5 or so plus the alternator was making a whining sound. Replaced the alternator and the batt voltage was a little over 14 with the car running. The warning lights were still on and the new alternator was making a strange noise then I double checked the voltage on the battery again and it was reading below 12 like before I replaced it. Could I have gotten a bad alternator from auto parts store? I also tried tightening and loosening the belt to see if that made a difference. It's a 99 maxima. Could I have possibly fried the alternator somehow. That would really suck if I got a bad one. It was remanufactured. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 PM

Take the alternator back and have them test it 3 times because it might test good with their machine but it isn't going to produce amount of power needed to run without the battery. I had this experience with Pepboys Reman alts and the first one went bad after a week.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Welcome to the org!

Auto stores have a terrible failure rate.

I got lucky with my Napa, but I hear about this all the time.

Not a fun job to keep doing..might see if you can return it and get a better brand or go to better store.
Or just exchange it and try and try again..up to you. Wasn't Autozone by chance, was it?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by HU25Falcon
My daughters car got the battery and brake light on the other day. I check the batt voltage and it was at 12v, turned the car on and check batt voltage again and it was less than before 11.5 or so plus the alternator was making a whining sound. Replaced the alternator and the batt voltage was a little over 14 with the car running. The warning lights were still on and the new alternator was making a strange noise then I double checked the voltage on the battery again and it was reading below 12 like before I replaced it. Could I have gotten a bad alternator from auto parts store? I also tried tightening and loosening the belt to see if that made a difference. It's a 99 maxima. Could I have possibly fried the alternator somehow. That would really suck if I got a bad one. It was remanufactured. Any help would be appreciated.
Remove and inspect your cables and their connection....fuses, and fusible links
Old 03-23-2014, 01:15 AM

Make sure the 2 wire plug on the alternator is in securely.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The original alternator did fail the test at autozone. I originally did buy one from autozone but before I installed it I looked at it and it did not look like it was going to fit properly. The location of where the long mounting bolt goes was too wide so I returned it. I then went to a place called auto parts international. I did doubly check the two wire plug and I heard it click when I pushed it back in. Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 AM

got mine from oreilly cant remember if it was brand new or reman, probably new though. check the prices on both because the new isn't much more in most cases and you usualy dont have to fool with pulling a bad reman back off. hadn't had a problem with mine. if it's making noise then its probably bad but check all conections first just in case.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok did some more checks. Fuses checked good, I was not able to remove the 120 A under the hood but it looked good from the little window on top to see if it's burned out. Completely removed the ground cable from battery and there was some oxidation, cleaned really good with a wire brush and 160grit sandpaper. Disconnected the wire from the alternator and checked continuity going to the battery, checked good. Put everything back together. Battery volts were at 12.4 before connecting anything to it. Checked the volts at the alternator once battery was re-connected and was reading about 12.2 (a little less than the battery). Started the car and read the battery voltage and it was like 11.8 Checked the volts at the alternator ( B+ Connection) while car was running and it was reading 11.5 or so. While I checked the voltages with the car running I did use a couple of different grounds with the same results. While the car was running I also put my hand on the alternator and it was vibrating like something that was not balanced. The mounting bolts were tight as I cannot move the alternator with the car off. Looks like I will need another alternator
Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM

I think you've found the culprit. You needed the exercise, right?