4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rust on frame area

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 PM
I support for what?

Rust on frame area

Hey guys. Been a while since I have been on here. So many new things happening. Looks like the rust is finally catching up to the car from being in Indiana from previous owner. I enjoy this car all the time so trying to take care of it. She at 356k and still running strong with very little maintenance. I have noticed this rust in the frame area. Dont guess it really the frame but I am sure it is structural. This area of rust is on the front left near the lifting area. As you can see the rubber undercoating is coming off and I pulled back on it and I can stick my finger through it in one area but the rest of it just feels mushy. I just looking to see how much I should be concerned.

Name:  2014-03-12182044.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  2014-03-12182051.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  44.8 KB

Last edited by Mxrider52; 03-13-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Well that's not the frame. You should see my car! Damn Canadian snowy, salty roads. I think its your rocker panel. So simple fix, cut out and replace rocker. Or cut out and weld in new metal.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:41 PM

If im viewing this pic. properly it looks to be behind the sub frame so no worries there but it appears to be on the floor pan. Is it on the drivers or passengers side? If you say you can poke your finger through you could try taking out you seats and center console and take out the carpet and see where it's gone through then remove as much rust as possible and weld a new piece of metal in and coat it and have it undercoated after the repair. This is ofcoarse if your wanting to keep your car long term but if it's the white one you have pics. of there it looks pretty clean otherwise. P.s after re reading your post it sounds like it's obviously the drivers side floor pan.

Last edited by ac max 92; 03-13-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 PM

This is why when you do an oil change you should take a can of wd-40 and spray EVERYTHING rusty while the oil is draining. But then cars would last forever.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 PM

damn 356k miles man... thats hella alot, u should be proud that u have that many miles. I like ur front end, Black and white look. Sick.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:30 AM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by 6cyl-97maxima
Well that's not the frame. You should see my car! Damn Canadian snowy, salty roads. I think its your rocker panel. So simple fix, cut out and replace rocker. Or cut out and weld in new metal.
Haha yea I know the salt destroys cars. I hate it. And there not a whole lot you can do to prevent it without lots of time.

Originally Posted by ac max 92
If im viewing this pic. properly it looks to be behind the sub frame so no worries there but it appears to be on the floor pan. Is it on the drivers or passengers side? If you say you can poke your finger through you could try taking out you seats and center console and take out the carpet and see where it's gone through then remove as much rust as possible and weld a new piece of metal in and coat it and have it undercoated after the repair. This is ofcoarse if your wanting to keep your car long term but if it's the white one you have pics. of there it looks pretty clean otherwise. P.s after re reading your post it sounds like it's obviously the drivers side floor pan.
Yea I couldnt think of the stupid word last night when I was trying to make this post. I couldnt get past frame lol I was looking for undercarriage but it never came to mind. But yes it is the drivers side. It would basically be the area right where the fuel door lever is. I dont have no intentions of getting rid of it. You just dont find cars as nice and stylish as these anymore and this motor is a beast compared to what out there today and gets the same fuel mileage as all this new crap out here. The electronics on these new cars are ruining things.

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
This is why when you do an oil change you should take a can of wd-40 and spray EVERYTHING rusty while the oil is draining. But then cars would last forever.
Yea that is true. But it is hard to attend to every single thing.

Originally Posted by JoshG
damn 356k miles man... thats hella alot, u should be proud that u have that many miles. I like ur front end, Black and white look. Sick.
Yea she has been good to me. Bought it at 210k Hardly any maintenance done. Still original alternator, waterpump, suspension has 320k (but that is on it last legs) rear shock blew out this winter, and still the original famous rusty radiator support(needs replaced though). Yea I actually took off the black turn signals and put the original back in and took off the d2 coilovers. But other then that she is still as shiny as when I bought her. Just likes to burn about a quart of oil every 3k.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:50 AM

Yea, you are right. But since you are addressing the issue buy one of those 3 pack wd40 because one can won't be enough. Spray everything, saturate that rust. The front rad support is easy to do just takes a little while, it's a good weekend project so you can take your sweet time. Also don't buy ebay rad support if you plan on keeping the car for a while because the metal is really thin and cheap. The oem piece is actually pretty cheap and worth it. There's a lot of documentation here including pictures and info about the whole process.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That's not the frame, the car is a unibody. That's nothing more then sheet metal. If you really want to fix it, all you need to do is cut out the rust and weld in a section of new metal. You can even rivet a section in, use a liquid weld or seam sealer to make it water proof.