4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

alternator problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM

alternator problem ?

99 maxima ok my son left the lights on and drain my battery which is 3 months old no problem so i jump it dead battery hookup was to positive and negative was grounded to the strut ,started up fine drove it to charge .....next day the battery light and brake light on started fine so i been reading here it could be the alternator going which has 121,000 on it original ..So i am old school and started it and pulled the neg cable off and it died right away ..... So which is a good place to get one ? I here not autozone or advance but just do not need any more problems with it ..should i get it online what brand Well i did replace my neg cable awhile back and car starts on dime any suggestion on the way to go with it price wise ....Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM

I got a new Bosch 125a from Amazon for about $120 last year.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 PM

So bosch is a good one ?I know the stock ome puts out 110amps so 125 would be a better choice then put in a 110?
Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Bosch is a good brand. The original alternator was made by Hitachi and that is a good brand.

You can have problems with rebuilt alternators regardless of the brand because the original manufacturer did not rebuild it. Some of these independent rebuilders do a poor job.

Unless you have added a lot of electrical things to the car, a 125 amp alternator will not make any difference. Newer cars need the extra amperes, but your car does not, unless you have added things.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:20 PM

thanks dennis for input ,i was looking at a bosch al2389x but it a remand or should i go new ? Since i am not doing the job i do not need the trouble to replace again ,so any suggestion and thanks for all the help...
Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM

I'd just go new.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Just watch on youtube when a guy replaced his alternator on a 2000 maxima is it they same way to do it ? He drop the alternator right from the bottom of the car and just unbolted the ac unit.... mine is a 99 se
Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Yes, it would be the same procedure. It's not that bad of a job to do yourself if your somewhat good around cars.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you have time and a second car to use . I suggest you watch jahanzeb channel on youtube he shows how to rebuild alternators. If you are looking for a decent prize get one from rockauto.com.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by nissan99
99 maxima ok my son left the lights on and drain my battery which is 3 months old no problem so i jump it dead battery hookup was to positive and negative was grounded to the strut ,started up fine drove it to charge .....next day the battery light and brake light on started fine so i been reading here it could be the alternator going which has 121,000 on it original ..So i am old school and started it and pulled the neg cable off and it died right away ..... So which is a good place to get one ? I here not autozone or advance but just do not need any more problems with it ..should i get it online what brand Well i did replace my neg cable awhile back and car starts on dime any suggestion on the way to go with it price wise ....Thanks
So you disconnecting the negative terminal proves what? This isn't 1975 with non computerized, carburated cars....Your car needs it's ground to run...espicially with driver circuits...Time for an Update....Measure you battery voltage, start the vehicle measure the voltage again should about 14.0 v, turn on everything you can a/c Max, full speed blower, high beams on, hazards on, foot on brake (or some else's) cabin lights on, heated seats on.....you should have 12.5 V or greater most Maxima that are working fine will still be putting out 13.5V....
Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 AM

I changed one on a 2000 and I unbolted the ac compressor from the engine block and let it rest on a jack stand while I worked on the alternator removing it. This way I didn't have to remove anything else or discharge/recharge the a/c. Familiarize yourself with the procedure on changing the belt because a lot of people ruin their tensioner because they don't loosen the nut on the pulley or keep cranking on the tension nut and bend the bracket.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys for all the tips ,Yea i am old school lol....Were things are not as complicated with todays cars ..going to check it out Thanks again
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
So you disconnecting the negative terminal proves what? This isn't 1975 with non computerized, carburated cars....Your car needs it's ground to run...espicially with driver circuits...Time for an Update....Measure you battery voltage, start the vehicle measure the voltage again should about 14.0 v, turn on everything you can a/c Max, full speed blower, high beams on, hazards on, foot on brake (or some else's) cabin lights on, heated seats on.....you should have 12.5 V or greater most Maxima that are working fine will still be putting out 13.5V....
Agreed ... may not be your alternator at all. But, you certainly should do a little bit of rudimentary testing before you start throwing money, time and parts at it.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
I changed one on a 2000 and I unbolted the ac compressor from the engine block and let it rest on a jack stand while I worked on the alternator removing it. This way I didn't have to remove anything else or discharge/recharge the a/c. Familiarize yourself with the procedure on changing the belt because a lot of people ruin their tensioner because they don't loosen the nut on the pulley or keep cranking on the tension nut and bend the bracket.
and Some!!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 PM

got one from oreilly. 125 volt. no problems and a lifetime warranty. definately stay away from autozone electrical parts. batteries are the only good thing they sell there. duralast gold batteries have never let me down.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:47 AM

Well going to order one off ebay brand new 125 amp which comes with a two year warranty and roadside asst.. If it fails they pay the tow ., so is it ok to with a higher amp because mine is 110 amp?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 AM

Well going to order one off ebay brand new 125 amp which comes with a two year warranty and roadside asst.. If it fails they pay the tow ., so is it ok to with a higher amp because mine is 110 amp?
A new alternator isn't going to do anything for a bad battery ...

You did read these, right?

Originally Posted by CMax03
Originally Posted by Turbobink
Agreed ... may not be your alternator at all. But, you certainly should do a little bit of rudimentary testing before you start throwing money, time and parts at it.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 AM

Look at he negative battery cable. It goes from the negative battery terminal to a ground which is screwed to the frame behind the battery and the it runs right to the engine. At the engine by the radiator it is grounded to the engine. Instead of being bolted directly to the engine block it uses a bracket. The cable bolts to the bracket and the bracket to the block. This caused my car to start interupting cranking and then not cranking at all. Took that bracket off and sanded and wire brushed everything clean and it fixed everything. Try that because you mentioned your battery cable was replaced so perhaps you have a ground isssue.

Just re-read your orignial post, your alternator needs to be replaced. Both those lights on in this car means your alternator needs to be replaced.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 AM

Thanks guys i got a meter to read what going on taking advice...Also i replaced my neg cable which solve my starting problems ,also the alternator i have is factory stock one 15 years is pretty good here in chicago the winters here been a ***** ...Going to test today then make my move Thanks again
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM

well tested today test battery not started 12.26 test at started at alternator 14.24 and when i turn everything on it drop to 11.27 time for a new alternator...also was watching my crankshaft pulley it is wobbling i got one on order while i am at it..

Last edited by nissan99; 03-15-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Well i found out my positive cable was loose clean the cables and post and both lights on he dash were off ...I am like yea ! So for ****s and giggles i went to autozone to have it checked out well battery good and alternator has a bad diode So why don't my brake and battery light do not come on ? It is off oh well alternator is on the way...
Old 03-16-2014, 09:25 PM

Well i found out my positive cable was loose clean the cables and post and both lights on he dash were off ...I am like yea ! So for ****s and giggles i went to autozone to have it checked out well battery good and alternator has a bad diode So why don't my brake and battery light do not come on ? It is off oh well alternator is on the way...
That's among one of the first things you're suppose to do.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 AM

I am not the best mechanic in the world but i while search for the answer.. So i think with that positive cable being lose might had sent a spike and messed my alternator or when i jumped it not knowing it was loose ..also got to get a battery hold down steel one
Old 03-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Well got my knew alternator and harmonic balancer was going to replace it my self but temps are still cold here to do outside ...So i took to a mechanic friend from my old neighbor hood .. Well he called me and said the belts have cracks in and you should replace your crank seal too ...Well when it was all done i asked him was a ***** to get the ac compressor out of the way? He said no ,ok would did you do ? just remove the radiator and fan assembly and got out from the top , i like really ! nope thats how its done ...So why is everybody pulling there ac unit and risk sheering the bolts holding it on for so many years? man if would know that easy would done it my self ,but have everything replace all orginal belts and harmonic balancer do to some wobble.Oh well learn something knew every day
Old 03-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Well got my knew alternator and harmonic balancer was going to replace it my self but temps are still cold here to do outside ...So i took to a mechanic friend from my old neighbor hood .. Well he called me and said the belts have cracks in and you should replace your crank seal too ...Well when it was all done i asked him was a ***** to get the ac compressor out of the way? He said no ,ok would did you do ? just remove the radiator and fan assembly and got out from the top , i like really ! nope thats how its done ...So why is everybody pulling there ac unit and risk sheering the bolts holding it on for so many years? man if would know that easy would done it my self ,but have everything replace all orginal belts and harmonic balancer do to some wobble.Oh well learn something knew every day
Because working from below is easier, IMO. Sheering the compressor bolts? LOL I've done this 3 times on 3 different Maximas and never had any issues with the compressor bolts. Not to mention I don't have to deal with draining coolant, then putting it back and burping the system. To each their own I guess. Glad you got 'er done!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 PM

My mechanic does the same method on my car as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:59 PM

Yea I think of it a better way of doing it without taken down the ac compressor ok .. So at the same time get radiator fluid change too ..
Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 AM

I'll teach you something as well! It's new not knew....
Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Excuse me English teacher ! How is that better..
Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Excuse me English teacher ! How is that better..
Funny thing is....That I am an instructor!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Excuse me English teacher ! How is that better...
Now
?

Last edited by The Wizard; 03-23-2014 at 05:18 PM.