4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Major auto Transmission Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Major auto Transmission Problem!

Today I started up my car and went to take off only to find out that now I have no 1st 2nd or 4th gear. The car takes off in 3rd gear only, I have reverse too. I've tried to shift it manually nothing No blinking O/D light or anything Please help!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 96vqi30de
Today I started up my car and went to take off only to find out that now I have no 1st 2nd or 4th gear. The car takes off in 3rd gear only, I have reverse too. I've tried to shift it manually nothing No blinking O/D light or anything Please help!
did you warm the car up first? alot of the time the transmission fluid is cold and turns to slush
Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Yes the car warmed up for about 10 mins before I moved it
Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Yes the car warmed up for about 10 mins before I moved it
Do you have enough fluid in the transmission??
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by rexrodriguez
did you warm the car up first? alot of the time the transmission fluid is cold and turns to slush
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on any automotive forum!!
Please step away from your car and buy a horse. A bicycle might be to much for you to understand.

To the OP:
Check the fluid level, other then that it sounds like its toast.
Did this happen suddenly?

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 01-28-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Please step away from your car and buy a horse. A bicycle might be to much for you to understand.

To the OP:
Maybe He didnt put prestone in yet fro the winter!
how many miles on the tranny?

Last edited by 98maxaholic; 01-28-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

That sounds like the ECU has gone into SAFE mode for some reason. Figure out a way to scan for codes thru the OBD2 port - maybe a local auto parts chain store and there might be a clue there.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Only time I experienced safe mode was when the fronts wheels would spin and I hit the brake right away. Then next thing you know. 3rd gear only.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Scan it.. Look at trans data. Although limited it is there.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
That sounds like the ECU has gone into SAFE mode for some reason.
I think grey99 is onto something here. Does the car move in D,1&2 but only does so in what feels like 3rd gear?

If so, grey is right - It's in safe mode. That's probably do to an electronics failure then hardware. Your trans might be OK. Have to figure out why it's in safe mode. Have it scanned by an auto tech that has good equipment. AutoZone cannot read trans codes with their hand held junk.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I think grey99 is onto something here. Does the car move in D,1&2 but only does so in what feels like 3rd gear?

If so, grey is right - It's in safe mode. That's probably do to an electronics failure then hardware. Your trans might be OK. Have to figure out why it's in safe mode. Have it scanned by an auto tech that has good equipment. AutoZone cannot read trans codes with their hand held junk.
I've probably broken everything possible in my drive train over the last few years, but I do remember the car dropping into Safe mode occasionally, with no apparent reason, and I used my code reader (which lives under the front seat) to clear all codes, then shut the car off and re-started it and the problem was gone. Maybe you will be that lucky. Find a local auto parts store, or Sears, or Harbor Freight, and buy one for yourself ( maybe $50 -$60 bucks). A good investment for the future....
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM

It is likely your inhibitor switch, it is the cause of sooooo many problems in this transmission. You can test it to find out. Being that the issue happens when you are stationary really helps to narrow down the possible culprits. I would also check to ensure all of you lines, especially the lines to the cooler are connected and not torn. It might be beneficial to do a line pressure test as well. The re4fo4a is fairly easy to diagnose especially when you have taken it apart as many times as I have.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 AM

Well I found out that my GF got stuck in the ice yesterday morning. I looked into it the fluid level was just a bit off the full mark. I let it sit over night and this morning went out started it up let it warm up and it shifted fine???? I think it may have been in safe mode
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Riduculous

To the OP:
Ridiculous? You must not know anything about cars. The purpose of warming up a car is to get it up to operating temp including the fluids. If you have old tranny fluid all the old **** and cold tranny fluid stops up the filter
Which keeps the car from shifting correctly
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM

it takes longer to warm up tranny fluid, cant really "warm it up" without driving it around and shifting. Not like the coolant
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
it takes longer to warm up tranny fluid, cant really "warm it up" without driving it around and shifting. Not like the coolant
put a transmission temp gauge on and tell me it doesnt warm up significantly
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Banned

put a transmission temp gauge on and tell me it doesnt warm up significantly
Well if you start the car in cold weather and let it run for a while, i would have to say that as the coolant warms and goes through the radiator it has to warm the tranny fluid some what...but i doubt no matter how long you let it idle , the tranny fluid doesnt get as hot as it does while driving!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
Well if you start the car in cold weather and let it run for a while, i would have to say that as the coolant warms and goes through the radiator it has to warm the tranny fluid some what...but i doubt no matter how long you let it idle , the tranny fluid doesnt get as hot as it does while driving!
I agree that it wont get as warm from driving but letting the car warm up definitely raises the tranny fluid temp also u never want your tranny fluid hot
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Ridiculous? You must not know anything about cars. The purpose of warming up a car is to get it up to operating temp including the fluids. If you have old tranny fluid all the old **** and cold tranny fluid stops up the filter Which keeps the car from shifting correctly
You need some education my friend.
ATF or otherwise referred to as Hydraulic Fluid has a typical operational temperature range of about -75F up to just over 300F. At ZERO the fluid is perfectly capable of flowing adequately for proper transmission operation.

Cold ATF stops up the filter? Do you make this $hit up as you go along??

Just ask those peeps up in Alaska how they drive to and from work in -25 to oh lets say -40F Hell I have buddies up on Burlington VT who start and drive their auto transmission equipped vehicles, without a warm up in crazy cold with no issues.

And to further the "warm up the car before you drive" myth even more, if you allow only the engine to warm up, then think it's OK to drive off, think again. You are putting further strain on every other operational system in that vehicle by doing that. OH you ask WHY? Because their ICE COLD!

The best way to warm up an ice cold car is to start it, wait a minute or 2 if you want and drive it slowly so EVERY operational system in it, bearings, tires, brakes, exhaust, suspension, drive line etc. warms/loosens up at the same time.

Here's an ATF viscosity chart, things at -20 (0F) are null, at -30 and down is when there's some increase in viscosity.
And at -40C which is also -40F - I ain't leaving the house!!

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 01-29-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM

To the OP:
So now we go around insulting people.
there a reason why this forum was invented, everyone can drop their two cents regardless of how ignorant their statement is. you obviously had a rough week and now you sit behind your computer talking smack.
you must be the transaxle guru or some... looking up google pictures in a minute flat and now you consider yourself a master tech.

you sir have the mentality of a gulf ball and think with a mentality of a gulf ball.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM

One or more of your tranny solenoids may have some blockage due to debris. Small stuff that can pass through what Nissan calls a tranny filter but still get caught up in the solenoid passages impeding flow.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:04 PM

You were in fact in limp mode. This usually is a sign that your transmission is on its way out. So if after hard driving or spinning you wheels this may happen repeatedly until the transmission gives. It will reset each time after the transmission has had enough time to cool before restarting the car and driving again. In the end, it will go in to limp mode and it will not reset. That will mean the end of your transmission. THis has happened to me several times.

Ferhan
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM

96vqi30de : I can see it now. She hits the gas realized its not going anywhere then hits the brakes to quickly. When you started the car the "code" was still in there so there for it was in safe mode. Then when you started driving your tcu was checking the electronics then realized well the temp is fine, spedd sensor is fine, range sensor us fine, shift solenoids are fine, t/c solenoid is fine. Then once you resterted the car again it went back into normal mode. Your trans is fine. Trust me you wouldve actually been on here with a different issue

And as foe the tranny warming up. My car has a external trans cooler and i let my car warm up for at least 10-15 minutes amd the tranny fluid isn't fully warm (t/c doesn't lock up till tranny temp within spec).

Glsd you figured it out.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM

You need some education my friend.
ATF or otherwise referred to as Hydraulic Fluid has a typical operational temperature range of about -75F up to just over 300F. At ZERO the fluid is perfectly capable of flowing adequately for proper transmission operation.

Cold ATF stops up the filter? Do you make this $hit up as you go along??

Just ask those peeps up in Alaska how they drive to and from work in -25 to oh lets say -40F Hell I have buddies up on Burlington VT who start and drive their auto transmission equipped vehicles, without a warm up in crazy cold with no issues.

And to further the "warm up the car before you drive" myth even more, if you allow only the engine to warm up, then think it's OK to drive off, think again. You are putting further strain on every other operational system in that vehicle by doing that. OH you ask WHY? Because their ICE COLD!

The best way to warm up an ice cold car is to start it, wait a minute or 2 if you want and drive it slowly so EVERY operational system in it, bearings, tires, brakes, exhaust, suspension, drive line etc. warms/loosens up at the same time.

Here's an ATF viscosity chart, things at -20 (0F) are null, at -30 and down is when there's some increase in viscosity.
And at -40C which is also -40F - I ain't leaving the house!!
So you can safely heat the tranny up to 300 degrees??? HAHAHA please get YOUR tranny up to 250 degrees everyday for a a couple minutes and see how healthy your tranny is in a month. Viscosity changes with temperature buddy please educate yourself and the transmission is not going to have 100 % fluid in it there will be other debris etc causing trouble plus your chart only has cold temps why dont u find a chart comparing the viscosity of tranny fluid at 50 degrees Fahrenheit and 0 degrees fahrenheit and lastly im pretty sure -40c and -40f is not the same temp

Last edited by rexrodriguez; 01-29-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 PM

lastly im pretty sure -40c and -40f is not the same temp
They are the same temp at that one and only time on their respective scales. They call it a crossing point on the temperature graphs.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
They are the same temp at that one and only time on their respective scales. They call it a crossing point on the temperature graphs.
Yes indeed they are the same temp. He just buried himself yet again showing his inability to read the chart and his lack of education regarding the F & C scales. You would think he'd have the common sense to at least google that fact, but nope!

He also didn't understand my comment regarding the operational range of ATF or hydraulic fluid, not the transmission itself. What are they teaching in schools these days???

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 01-30-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM

That's a failed mode like limp home mode!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Yes indeed they are the same temp. He just buried himself yet again showing his inability to read the chart and his lack of education regarding thelack of education regarding the F & C scales. You would think he'd have the common sense to at least google that fact, but nope!

He also didn't understand my comment regarding the operational range of ATF or hydraulic fluid, not the transmission itself. What are they teaching in schools these days???
Okay so you are saying that the tranny fluid will be hot but the transmission wont? and ohhhh right sorry for not googling stuff i bet u must have a PH.D in "F & C scales" from GOOGLE lol and you said lack of education twice at least proofread your comments before insulting my reading skills lol how long did it take u to come up with that response lmao theres no need for me to waste anymore time dealing with you morons
Later

Last edited by rexrodriguez; 01-30-2014 at 06:15 PM.