4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Buying Guide? Possible Performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buying Guide? Possible Performance mods?

Okay so I am new here and if I posted this incorrectly in anyway I am sorry. But basically I need a new daily driver in a few months and I think I want to get a 4th Generation Maxima not only for looks but for the bang for your buck mods. I don't make a ton of money so I don't plan on supercharging this car or anything that drastic. I don't have much experience with modding so I hope the maxima would be able to help me out.

So is there anything particular I should look for when buying a Maxima? Or is there already a buying guide? I couldn't find one in the search.

And would these performance mods suffice to being somewhat quick? I will most likely install these after I am done with basic maintenance and a little suspension work. Because my last car was a Pontiac Grand Am with an extended Rev Limiter and it felt quick but was slow as ****.

Y-Pipe
3" Catback Exhaust
New ECU
OOVI
Headers

Any other suggestions performance wise?

Edit: Also forgot to ask if I should get the 5-Speed Manual or the Automatic? I learned stick recently by test driving several cars for hours at a time. Is there problems with either or? I noticed there is more automatics in my area.

Thank you guys for reading my thread I appreciate it.

Last edited by EpiK; 01-19-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:17 PM

I would go with a manual if you can find one. I like he mod list. Those mods should give you decent power for a daily driver. My question is why do you want new ECU? Can't you just put the mods on and then tune the car.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't necessarily need to get an ECU I am just looking for feedback.

Last edited by EpiK; 01-19-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The stickies have a very informative string of posts regarding this, its right up your alley.

Go with a 5 speed, youll regret it later if you get an auto. But thats just my opinion.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hread-yet.html

Last edited by Slamrod; 01-19-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Slamrod
The stickies have a very informative string of posts regarding this, its right up your alley.

Go with a 5 speed, youll regret it later if you get an auto. But thats just my opinion.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hread-yet.html
Thanks a lot I'll check it out.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 PM

Looks like you're off to a good start and have done a bit of research.

Things to look for when buying the car, the radiator core support likes to rust out. I'd avoid a 99 as it has NATS and coil pack issues. My favorite is 97-98 for the updated look and chassis reinforcements over the 95-96. 95-96 are said to be a bit less strict when it comes to throwing codes for the emissions system.

It looks like you are looking to do most bolt ons without breaking the bank. Here's what I'd do in order of importance:

-warpspeed y pipe with 2.5" outlet
-00vi and an eBay short ram intake at the same time
-Emanage ultimate w/ wideband
-2.5" catback (and a test pipe if you want)

A proper set of headers (OBX 3.5L or Cattman) will make more top end power over a y pipe, but they cost more and are more difficult/time consuming to install. The emanage will really compliment the 00vi when you extend the rev limiter. In the 1/4 mile my ET dropped .6 sec and trap increased 2-3mph just by advancing ignition timing with the EU, I also dropped another ~.2sec and gained 1-2mph by extending the rev limiter to 7200rpm with the 00vi. With full bolt ons, tune, and a healthy engine, I'd estimate about 200whp give or take.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Banned

Welcome!

I would def go for 5-Speed, be patient and find a nice one. 5mt are getting more and more harder to come by these days but well worth it if you can find one IMO.

Performance wise:
-Y-Pipe (Easier, less headaches to install), unless installing headers is not that big of a deal for you than by all means GET HEADERS (The right ones tho Cattman, OBX V2, Altima 3.5 [but you need custom y-pipe fabricated, any exhaust shop can do]).
-00VI (Best Bang for your buck after Y-pipe/Headers [Does take some work/time to install correctly but well worth it])
-Exhaust (2.5" would do you justice unless your really gonna go all out than 3")
-Intake (Short Ram or True CAI w/ Filter in Fender) Its really up to you/your preference

I would go in that order too, again IMO.

Additional performance:
-TUNE
-Lightweight Flywheel (If 5MT)
-NWP Spacers
-Bigger TB
-Upgrade Cams
-3" Exhaust

GL... Have Fun, Be Patient & RESEARCH-READ, RESEARCH-READ, RESEARCH-READ & THAN RESEARCH-READ somemore
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Administrator

I'll add that if you go for headers, you don't need a y-pipe as proper headers will come with it.

oh, and definitely 5spd. Harder to find, but worth it in the end IMO.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I'll add that if you go for headers, you don't need a y-pipe as proper headers will come with it.

oh, and definitely 5spd. Harder to find, but worth it in the end IMO.

Wizard his statement was regarding the Altima VQ35 headers....which needs a customized Ypipe!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replies guys, it is helping me out a lot.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CMax03
Wizard his statement was regarding the Altima VQ35 headers....which needs a customized Ypipe!
I was speaking in general terms, not adding on to vq4thgen4life.

I would never recommend something crazy like Altima VQ35 headers when there is a suitable alternative out there that installs easily and yields the same/similar gains...
Old 01-20-2014, 03:12 PM

I would never recommend something crazy like Altima VQ35 headers when there is a suitable alternative out there that installs easily and yields the same/similar gains...
+1 I don't recommend those headers, especially now that they have nearly doubled in price.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Looks like you're off to a good start and have done a bit of research.

Things to look for when buying the car, the radiator core support likes to rust out. I'd avoid a 99 as it has NATS and coil pack issues.
Ok so i have to put my two cents in here...

The core support is definitely CRAP. Mine's rusted to utter ****e, so indeed watch out for that one.

As far as the coil pack issues, I've owned my 99 se-l for 4 years now and I've never ran into a problem with them once. True, maybe someone before me had them already, but I'd argue that this may be an overblown issue and is more generalized than completely true for the 99's. I've been lucky to put almost 80k trouble free miles on mine and, short of the usual wear and tear maintenance, can say that it's a phenomenal car, even after 15 years. I'm also blessed to have a near mint condition exterior that I regularly detail at least twice a year (including the interior).

Point being, it's a solid machine. You can't go wrong and if you're willing to do some maintenance, it'll provide hundreds of k's of trouble free mileage, all while not breaking the bank.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Why is it crazy? Just giving an alternative, other than the typical cattman, obx options which are hard to come by nowadays (Backorder, Not in Business, Need 10+ orders, etc, etc). Install is no different besides the Y-Pipe which any REPUTABLE exhaust shop can fabricate. Non-equal (I am sure is very easy to do) or Equal length (this can be tricky but not rocket science just need the right fabricator for the job). Plus this way its custom, original, one of a kind to the buyers liking. Clearance is awesome. And FWIW, only cost me $250 TOTAL minus the extra exhaust components I added for my preference. It also pays to shop around and get bargain prices, as oppose to paying retail prices unless your pockets are deep go ahead.

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
+1 I don't recommend those headers, especially now that they have nearly doubled in price.
Well, it helps to shop around. Found me a set for $120 brand new on the forums. I know its not for everyone but its definitely an option.