4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

alternator going out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 PM

alternator going out?

been having an issue with it. sometimes at first start up the battery light comes on but if I rev it real quick, kinda burp the throttle, it goes off. I have checked the voltage at the battery and power wire on the alt when the light is on and its at 12... volts. after light goes off it does read the 14+ its supposed to read. and of course headlights etc aren't as bright when the battery light is on.
question I have is is the alt going out or maybe the belt going bad. I've checked for oil etc on the belt before start' nada. checked the tension on the belt, seems good. any ideas? no noticable noise coming from it. gonna have it bench tested this weekend at oreilly but if it's hit or miss on when it's working I don't want to waste my time taking it off. I would think it would either work or not work. Ive even cleaned the contact where the power wire hooks up and the battery connections.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Thats odd. It sounds like it would be the alternator. But if you're going to go through the trouble to take it out, why not just put a new one in, even if yours tests ok? It isn't the easiest job in the world, and if it tests ok, then goes out a week later, you'd have to do it all over again.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 01-09-2014, 04:14 PM

The little voltage regulator printed circuit board in the alternator is leaving the world. It may be a temperature problem, but it has a problem.

I can't sum it up any better than Afilion said.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Aflion
Thats odd. It sounds like it would be the alternator. But if you're going to go through the trouble to take it out, why not just put a new one in, even if yours tests ok? It isn't the easiest job in the world, and if it tests ok, then goes out a week later, you'd have to do it all over again.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Doesnt sound like a bad idea if your going through the trouble then you could also get that one rebuilt if need be and keep it for a spare. I also had that happen on one of my cars but it wound up being sticky or bad bearings causing the altenator pully to not spin as freely as it should.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM

well it's 150 bucks lol. that's why I would hate to do it for nothing...but will probably do just that anyway.

Last edited by ADROX; 01-09-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 PM

is it just the battery light coming on, or do you see the battery light and parking brake light at the same time? I had a problem with my alternator and saw this on my dash. tested good at the shop but one day it just went out. but if you are going to take it out, I would definitely replace it right then and there too. trust me, don't want to get caught on the road when it does decide to finally go out. had it happen to me with the family in the car, really sucked lol
Old 01-24-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The little voltage regulator printed circuit board in the alternator is leaving the world. It may be a temperature problem, but it has a problem.

I can't sum it up any better than Afilion said.

new alternator installed and no issues now. definately a chore to do but far from impossible, just need a lil patience.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Thank you for taking the time to post how you fixed your issue.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=tosheto;8906349]Thank you for taking the time to post how you fixed your issue.[/QUOTE/] put multimeter on battery terminals if voltage drops u consecutivly u need alternator dont take it out if u arent going to change it
Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Why does it seem like these cars chew up alts?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is definitely the alternator thats going bad. Before you go out buying an expensive one. I suggest you buy a used one from junk yard and do watch this video for servicing it. The youtube channel jahanzeb he really explains it well on how to do a basic alternator repair. For tbe removql of the alternator watch the youtube channel carsandtoys. I hope it helps other people on the forum with electrical problems related to alternators. One last suggestions check the battery fluid level in your car after the alternator install, and if low top it up with some battery fluid acid which is quite expensive. An alternative to battery fluid acid is a mixture of distilled water and epsom salt.