4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

water pump weep hole location

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 AM

water pump weep hole location

I read numerous threads about coolant leaks and such... I am getting a small puddle which seems to be dripping from off the bottom of the A/C compressor. Is the W/P weep hole in that area? Is it possible to see the weep hole without removing anything? I tried in vain to spot any source for the leak, but at 188K miles with the original water pump, it may be finally leaking...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:48 AM

It's the pump. I dont think you can see it without removing stuff, but it leaks out between the oil pan and A/C compressor.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 AM

The weep hole is located between inner and outer O ring seals, you cannot see it without removing the water pump. When you have a coolant leak at water pump, it indicates the O ring seal is bad and you need either replace the O rings or replace the entire water pump. I went through this few months ago and the job is a PITA mainly due to space restriction in the water pump and timing chain tensioner areas.

Last edited by theWalkinator; 01-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks, I reviewed a nice writeup on this job and will get to it soon. Do you have to drain the radiator for this?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 AM

I did. I just did all of this 2 days ago. Might as well flush the system out, too.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Thanks, just ordered the pump, I'll drain and fill also... Hopefully she will stay as a small leak till this weekend... I have had this car from new, first water pump replacement...
Old 01-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Ordered oem, right? It's not fun to do it a second time. Trust me. I bought a Bosch pump, and installed it. Next thing i know, a month later, coolant is flooding out from the weep hole onto the ground. I put in an Oem one and havent had any trouble from it so far. And that's pretty good. You might as well replace the thermostat while the coolant is out, too.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 AM

I ordered from Advance Auto, it seems to be good quality.. I appreciate the advice though.. I am leery about relieving the tension on the chain.. Do I just push in the piston on the tensioner and stick a pin in the hole when it lines up?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 AM

I hope yours turns out ok. The pump itself can look good, but the seals are what you need to worry about. Turn the engine counter clockwise by wrench, they you push the piston in and use a pin. I used a thumb tack and it worked great.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Thanks, I'll see how the seals look compared to what I pull out, worst case I can pick up a set of seals at the dealer if they look suspect...
Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 AM

The smaller seal on the Bosch i got was already flat when i took it out. Im thinking it also would expand and contract, because it wouldn't leak when the car was warm, but would flood out when it was cold.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go find pmohr's video. I think it is on you tube under bordmder
Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
Go find pmohr's video. I think it is on you tube under bordmder
Ah, so pmohr is boredmder? I'm subscribed to his vids. BTW don't forget the "e" (as in, "boredmder"!)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Herald
Ah, so pmohr is boredmder? I'm subscribed to his vids. BTW don't forget the "e" (as in, "boredmder"!)
Indeed.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr

Indeed.
I'll be watching your video on replacing the radiator before doing the same with my '95 Maxima Friday. BTW how has that Spectra Premium treated you (or was that somebody else's car)?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aflion
The smaller seal on the Bosch i got was already flat when i took it out. Im thinking it also would expand and contract, because it wouldn't leak when the car was warm, but would flood out when it was cold. Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
I just replaced my o-rings this last weekend... I used the superseded OEM o-rings. Needless to say, they didn't hold up either. The brand I used when I did the engine rebuild and bored 20over was Evergreen... Evergreen lasted longer than the OEM replacement.

my curiosity is sparked by the running question of the diameter of the gullies on the pump for the o-rings... are they larger diameters on the OEM pump!

my OEM leak as the motor cools... total PITA because my motor is SPOTLESS and everything is painted!! I'm almost ready to purchase a custom o-ring, ugh! oh, and everything is always torqued to higher end of spec range!

subscribed!!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Yikes, this is making me nervous. I am going to monitor my current leak based on how much coolant I have to add to top off the system, and try and put this off for a while until things warm up outside. Sorry to those following this thread to see my experience. Rest assured I will post on the results when I do it. Another question, what is a good sealant to use on the 2 access panels I will have to remove on the TC cover?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by slfalco
Another question, what is a good sealant to use on the 2 access panels I will have to remove on the TC cover?
Any regular RTV will be fine, I prefer the ultra grey.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Any regular RTV will be fine, I prefer the ultra grey.
I use RTV black BC it's the highest oil resistance from RTV... Ultra Grey is for high torque applications... and I think the bolts are something like 61-86 in/lbs... too low for Ultra Grey. Not to mention the black releases easier if you need to EVER get into it again