4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is $500 enough to change from 96 to 97 style?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Is $500 enough to change from 96 to 97 style?

i know i should search but i want to hear yalls opinion.
well i got $500, and i felt that spending $500+ on 15 inch rims was a bit too much, they are Drag DR- 33 black gloss rims so im making up my mind before i regret the spending, i wanna spend the $ and feel like it was worth it. the car only has 129k miles

so i was thinking of going to the junkyard with my 500$ and changing my 96 GLE into the 97 SE model, it already has limo tint, basic stock look. the paint is great, but with a quite decent damage to the rear quarter panel. (only dent on the car)

but main goal here is, is $500 enough for a 97 bumper(wanting spoiler)/trunk/ possibly 97 SE rims 5 spoke?

would i have to find the same color as my maxi or find whatever color from the junkyard as long they had trunk and front bumper and have a body shop paint it and install?

im very smart at being careful what i spend my money on, and hearing opinions help me out, i mean $500 is alot of money and dont want to spend it on somthin silly just to spend it. the front bumper for 96 just seems cheap to me, and with no spoiler it makes maxima not a maxima, I feel if i change to the 97 i will feel like i truly love the look. and wont feel like i just spent my money just cause.

Last edited by JoshG; 12-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Leave the car as it is, it's looks nice and clean.
Put the money in the bank for something that's worth investing in later.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Leave the car as it is, it's looks nice and clean.
Put the money in the bank for something that's worth investing in later.
yeah, i was getting all hyped about getting new rims, but heck i took a second thought, $500 going away like that, and I dont want to get into the habit of spending $ just because, this was a big habit when i was in middle school (ages 12-16) and also I dont know what would be worth investing. im in a time where i learn an importance of money and spend it on somthing that makes me happy, I don't want to fall into what happend to my dad who was into cars all the time, he had nice muscle cars throughout his life, and it was cool, i loved the style and all but when i got older, thats when it becomes real and I start to think about things like that.

I love cars, dont get me wrong on that, ive watched fast and furious since the first once came out, i was in love with it and kept on watching the next fast and furious movies. it was my childhood thing

but when the time came to when i got a car, I learn somthing after i put some stuff into the car like limo tint, new stereo, it kinda was growing out on me. and i dont know if putting $ into a car feels worth it especially on a 17 year old that I truly love and runs really good. at the same time i think "what else am i going to spend my $ on?" i might save $ to repair the rear quarter panel damage, and leave it alone and just maintain it. to keep it looking good, but same time i dont know if its worth it. the paint is just great.

Last edited by JoshG; 12-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoshG
...at the same time i think "what else am i going to spend my $ on?"...
You seemed obsessed with spending this $500, like it's burning a hole in your pocket. In your case, I say do nothing, at least for now.

If getting new rims consumes your thoughts day in day out for weeks on end, then get them. Likewise, if converting to the 97 style consumes your thoughts day in day out, then do it. Chance are you'll be happy in the long run. If after several weeks you start thinking of other stuff, then it was wise not to purchase anything.

Case in point. You're thinking of the conversion more so than the wheels now it seems...

Last edited by The Wizard; 12-30-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:42 PM

I get like that too. Want to modify. But then I remember the massive oil leak I have. I like to put my money into productive things
Old 12-30-2013, 03:32 PM

lol somtimes im just weird cause I do remember buying a wii just for one game and i beat the game in 1 day and never played the wii again(goodbye $300) dumbest mistake ive done but like i said i was in middle school, I get afraid of having too much $ but yet dont want to spend it, well now that im older im more careful
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM

lol somtimes im just weird cause I do remember buying a wii just for one game and i beat the game in 1 day and never played the wii again(goodbye $300) dumbest mistake ive done but like i said i was in middle school, I get afraid of having too much $ but yet dont want to spend it, well now that im older im more careful
so, your like 18 now?? save ur mula man, you'll need later for when $hit comes up. me, i just bought a nexus 7 32 gig, did i need it? nope
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM

lol yeah pretty much 18 yr old and in college, and when i was spending things when i was younger, i have bought all the things that i bought when i saved up.. like xbox 360, wii bought 5-6 yrs ago, which i have not played in over 4 years, it just sits in a closed box, bought a laptop 4years ago and still use it daily and i knew i needed one for college. I dont kno wat else i would really need lol, just a place to live, school, car, regular laptop, internet, some money and im good.
i just dont want the bad habit i had when i was younger.

i need to make up my dam mind lol. i love cars, but dam im weird, want to do it.. but dunno.

-.-
Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM

lol yeah pretty much 18 yr old and in college, and when i was spending things when i was younger, i have bought all the things that i bought when i saved up.. like xbox 360, wii bought 5-6 yrs ago, which i have not played in over 4 years, it just sits in a closed box, bought a laptop 4years ago and still use it daily and i knew i needed one for college. I dont kno wat else i would really need lol, just a place to live, school, car, regular laptop, internet, some money and im good.
i just dont want the bad habit i had when i was younger.

i need to make up my dam mind lol. i love cars, but dam im weird, want to do it.. but dunno.

-.-
bi-polar much?? SAVE YOUR MONEY YOUNG BLOOD. trust me, you'll thank me later when that trans starts slippin, or you need some dental work or tires or a sensor. always comes back to maxy, weird hunh?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM

The only thing i replaced the past year and a half was the battery but thats only cause they used a used battery just to get it out and it was crapping out on me, dieing every other day. only 129k miles.. car still young yo
Old 12-30-2013, 05:01 PM

ironically, i bought my max with 129,000 back in 05 and did'nt do $hit to it for the first 2 years except brakes and a water coolant sensor. could'nt afford to, paid 4,300.00 for maxy and took awhile to build up my bank roll, yo
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Banned

i know i should search but i want to hear yalls opinion.
well i got $500, and i felt that spending $500+ on 15 inch rims was a bit too much, they are Drag DR- 33 black gloss rims so im making up my mind before i regret the spending, i wanna spend the $ and feel like it was worth it. the car only has 129k miles

but main goal here is, is $500 enough for a 97 bumper(wanting spoiler)/trunk/ possibly 97 SE rims 5 spoke?
Im kinda the same as you with the cash situation, but i have a 98 gle 110k(bought it with 101k) when i got it , it had the horrible sawblade crappy granny rims on it(well i bought it from a granny so)...so i went on craigs and found someone with a totaled 2000 se with new tires (only 10k miles on tires) i got the rims and tires for $200.00! i know they are run of the mill se rims, but it really made a huge difference in appearance over the blades! not only that but it added a 30 Horsepower increase too!(hehehe) the point im trying to make i guess, is look around, you CAN find decent deals if you take your time! and another benefit in taking your time looking, is it gives you time to contemplate actually deciding if you really wanna spend the cake! my original tires were shot, so i needed tires anyway, and if i bought new tires it would've cost more than the rims and tires i bought off craigs..it was a win win situation for me!.so next i wanna put a new aftermarket Y pipe and cat etc. but im gonna do the same thing, and wait til my exhaust is toast , then im gonna drop the cash !.....really tho,even regular stock SE rims do make a nice appearance upgrade!
Good luck on making the right financial decision for yourself!

Last edited by 98maxaholic; 12-30-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
bi-polar much?? SAVE YOUR MONEY YOUNG BLOOD. trust me, you'll thank me later when that trans starts slippin, or you need some dental work or tires or a sensor. always comes back to maxy, weird hunh?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
Im kinda the same as you with the cash situation, but i have a 98 gle 110k(bought it with 101k) when i got it , it had the horrible sawblade crappy granny rims on it(well i bought it from a granny so)...so i went on craigs and found someone with a totaled 2000 se with new tires (only 10k miles on tires) i got the rims and tires for $200.00! i know they are run of the mill se rims, but it really made a huge difference in appearance over the blades! not only that but it added a 30 Horsepower increase too!(hehehe) the point im trying to make i guess, is look around, you CAN find decent deals if you take your time! and another benefit in taking your time looking, is it gives you time to contemplate actually deciding if you really wanna spend the cake! my original tires were shot, so i needed tires anyway, and if i bought new tires it would've cost more than the rims and tires i bought off craigs..it was a win win situation for me!.so next i wanna put a new aftermarket Y pipe and cat etc. but im gonna do the same thing, and wait til my exhaust is toast , then im gonna drop the cash !.....really tho,even regular stock SE rims do make a nice appearance upgrade!
Good luck on making the right financial decision for yourself!

lol are u talking about the 7 spoke rims? those are not too bad i would love those right now, or the ugly Gxe rims? i find those the ugliest, and honeycomb rims (mine) the 2nd ugliest stock rims

yeh If i took my time and look, but somtimes i just like to get things done and overwith lol, i also dont want to spend too much $ on the maxi, i just want it look nicer than it is now(like a little tune up, may take $1,000-2,500$ to make it look the way i want it), like repairing the small rear quarter panel to make the car brand new again, better looking rims, 96 to 99 swap, clear signals, if i do the 97 swap i would get red clears for taillights, (I LOVEEE THE LOOK
) it looks so clean and aggressive at the same time, thats why i wanna do the swap. especially on white pearl, I dig that color so much, it looks soo nice!!! but expensive paint at the same time, which may cost up my rear quarter panel a little more cause the paint is not cheap. big difference between white pearl and regular basic white.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM

If you want some wheels come to NYC I have a set of g35 coupe wheels for sale.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Max139617
If you want some wheels come to NYC I have a set of g35 coupe wheels for sale.
ok im on my way there right now, i'll be there in 130 hours
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 PM

Where are you located? I have a set of 2000 SE wheels for sale.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM

Save that money buddy!

I wanted the Ionic Dynamics lip kit when I was 17 but I could not part ways with my hard earned money. So I waited and waited and waited, to make sure it was something I REALLY wanted, 5 years later I finally got it.

I decided, hey I am going to put away 20 or so dollars from every pay check until I have enough to buy the lip kit painted. So for years I looked at my car and thought, damn, it would look so cool with that lip kit. And that was when I knew I must make this purchase in order to complete my life, so I did. Lol