4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

regular unleaded to premium

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

regular unleaded to premium

Hey guys, so I have a 97 max file and my parents have been filling it up with regular unleaded since I could remember BC of the gas prices in Cali.I was wondering what would happen if I wanted to fill the gas with premium now? Would it be better to the engine or not? Thank you
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Yes.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Starbuck or regular brew?
Just drink and findout yourselves.

Watchout prem is 25c up from silver in most gas stations in my state
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just want to make sure man.since the engine and pings are always getting regular I don't want it to be in shock and breakdown on me bro.thanks again.here its about 20 cents more for premium so its not much more fo r a full tank.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Id only use it if I had a bad ks. Or a sports car, I have neither and 87 works just fine for me.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:46 AM

if you ping on 87, then yes get premium. And use TC-W3 as well, find the sticky in the fluids/lubricants section
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM

I use midgrade. The owners manual recommends premium, but what a lot of people forget/don't know, is that premium was 91 octane when these cars first came out. I used to use regular, then always developed some sort of fuel issue, so I at least use midgrade now, which is a night and day difference from regular. I tried premium after midgrade and didn't notice a difference, so im not spending an extra 20 cents a gallon for nothing. Haha.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Switching fuels or oil will make the engine blow up.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM

switching fuels or oil will make the engine blow up.
+1
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Have you proven that mith on your dreams or just paper.?
That is only an opinion, depending on how broke some people are and ignorant going from synthetic oil to regular walmart brand is like giving your 200k engine life back.
Same goes for low octane to per say 89-91 it is only a safety feature.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 PM
JvG

This topic has been discussed endlessly. Do a search.

Nissan itself says to use premium for maximum performance. It says so on a label next to your gas cap.

If your knock sensor is dead, you might as well run regular. The computer retards the timing whenever a knock sensor is dead or if regular is used. They do that to protect the engine form knock. Knock is bad for the bearings.

The trade off is like this: if you use premium like Nissan recommends, the computer will advance the timing. You will feel more power and your engine will run better. The gas mileage will increase. Yes, the gas costs a little more. But you get more miles per gallon. So you might as well.

If you insist on putting regular in your car, you might think you are saving money. But your computer will retard the timing and you will burn more of that cheap gas. The knocking will make your knock sensor die an early death. They are not fun to replace.

To those who will insist that I am wrong, first tell me if your knock sensor works.

Bottom line..... The Maxima was not built to be an economy car. It is intended to be a powerful car for its engine size. It wants to be fed premium gas for premium performance.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Agreed use premium, also agreed that changing the knock sensor is a pita. Anyway yeah it is night and day the difference between regular and premium, I will never go regular again in my Maxima
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by JvG

If your knock sensor is dead, you might as well run regular.
Yes
The computer retards the timing whenever a knock sensor is dead or if regular is used.

Not quite, the ECU will run a default "safe" timing map to avoid any chance of knock and ping if the KS is dead.

The ECU cannot detect the octane rating of fuel, therefore doesn't know if your using 89 or 105. It listenes for knock and or ping detected from the KS and adjusts timing as needed.

It's very possible to run regular fuel (most people use regular) and not have any knock and or ping detected, therefore running a standard timing map.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well guys, i filled it up with premium on thursday.it seems to be running smoother and gets faster quicker than before.the best thing is that the tachometer before when i would start up the engine would sometimes go up and rapidly go down seeming like the batter was bad or something but would still start up, now it starts up regularly.idk much about cars, but would it be alright if i continue fueling it up with the premium or midgrade or would it blow up like njmaxseltd said.thanks for the help guys
Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Your car will not blow up
Old 10-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by kyochang
...but would it be alright if i continue fueling it up with the premium or midgrade or would it blow up like njmaxseltd said.thanks for the help guys
It may not blow up, but it may implode. It really depends on what state your fuel is refined in.

Originally Posted by LTXMitch
Your car will not blow up
How do you know? I knew this kid once...

Last edited by TexasTex; 10-05-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I remember these gas threads from many years back.....I see they still pop up.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
It's pretty funny.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTex
It's pretty funny.
Agreed
Old 10-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Forget premium, run diesel

But do so at your own risk...
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 PM

it's only funny UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO YOU!!! it's no joke, i watched a kid in a v-tech honda switch gas from 87 to 91 and blammo!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by deloa84
Forget premium, run diesel

But do so at your own risk...
Hahaha, I had a vision of my wife putting premium in my 3/4 ton turbo diesel.

Her - "Thanks for letting my friend Amy and I use your truck to move her new couch. I filled it up with premium, just like you put in your Camaro. I think there's something wrong though, white smoke is coming from it and it's louder than usual."

Me- "Yea, no problem babe....WAIT, YOU DID WHAT?"

Took a weekend to drop the tank and clean the system out. No glow plug damage, thank God.

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i watched a kid in a v-tech honda switch gas from 87 to 91 and blammo!!!
You're clearly hanging around the wrong crowd.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 AM

In my old I30, my gf put in diesel once. I got a call from her saying "Babe, I'm at the gas station and just filled up a FULL TANK and then the car started weird, and it died and now it wont run! What do I do?"

At this point I have no idea what the problem is, so we continue talking about it, until she comes out with "the pump was weird and didn't fit in the hole like it usually does" so now light goes off in my head and I'm thinking holy **** she put in diesel, not only that but she did it despite the fact the pump is green and didn't fit right!! How can you really make such a mistake, I don't know, and then she even kept going when the pump wouldn't fit and was determined to do it! Needless to say, she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and "things didn't work out" with her.

My opinion on gas has always been that it's very important, and if the car calls for premium you should use premium, instead of saving a dollar or two on a full tank. Your engine will thank you for it in the long run, and you get way better performance. To me it's the same as drinking malt liquor vs. expensive bottle of something nice, you can even feel the difference the morning after when you have no hangover vs. terrible hangover from cheap drinks.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
In my old I30, my gf put in diesel once. I got a call from her saying "Babe, I'm at the gas station and just filled up a FULL TANK and then the car started weird, and it died and now it wont run! What do I do?"

At this point I have no idea what the problem is, so we continue talking about it, until she comes out with "the pump was weird and didn't fit in the hole like it usually does" so now light goes off in my head and I'm thinking holy **** she put in diesel, not only that but she did it despite the fact the pump is green and didn't fit right!! How can you really make such a mistake, I don't know, and then she even kept going when the pump wouldn't fit and was determined to do it! Needless to say, she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and "things didn't work out" with her.

My opinion on gas has always been that it's very important, and if the car calls for premium you should use premium, instead of saving a dollar or two on a full tank. Your engine will thank you for it in the long run, and you get way better performance. To me it's the same as drinking malt liquor vs. expensive bottle of something nice, you can even feel the difference the morning after when you have no hangover vs. terrible hangover from cheap drinks.
HAHAHAHA. I know that one! Our gas station was like 10 miles from the house. My chic ignored the knocking, sputtering and smoke for like 10 minutes. Good for her. Dam women, but you gotta love em'.

And yes, I agree fuel wise.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Aflion
what a lot of people forget/don't know, is that premium was 91 octane when these cars first came out.
Premium is still 91 octane, but in different areas of the country, it can be 92 or 93. Where i'm at it's 93... but the baseline number for premium is still 91.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Premium is still 91 octane, but in different areas of the country, it can be 92 or 93. Where i'm at it's 93... but the baseline number for premium is still 91.
Exactly, here in Dallas we have a few gas stations that have 87,89,91 and 93. They call the 91 Supreme and the 93 Super Supreme.....
Old 10-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Lol, in the 7th gen forum they pop like the plague...lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Which octane do you guys usually fill with, 91 or 93? And do you notice any difference between the two.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Exactly, here in Dallas we have a few gas stations that have 87,89,91 and 93. They call the 91 Supreme and the 93 Super Supreme.....
super supreme... i like that

Originally Posted by Chrono
Which octane do you guys usually fill with, 91 or 93? And do you notice any difference between the two.
Well, 91 isn't available in my area, so I go with 93 with my car. If both are available where you are, try 91 first. Also, if you have pure gas (non-ethanol blended), get that.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Lol, in the 7th gen forum they pop like the plague...lol.

Yes they do....
Old 10-06-2013, 05:08 PM

Stock car u can get away with 89 no problem, but I wouldn't run 87 ever... I jus run 94 octane (i've tuned to that) from Petro Canada-it only used to be available from Sunoco. it's only 2 cents more per liter than 91 so like a 1.50 difference per tank, what a deal!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
super supreme... i like that

Well, 91 isn't available in my area, so I go with 93 with my car. If both are available where you are, try 91 first. Also, if you have pure gas (non-ethanol blended), get that.
It cracks me and my wife up.......She is like WTF, there is no benefit to 93 but giving away your denero...
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Yes they do....
Have you tried to "edumacate" them as they say these days...lol. They had that hiccup in the 09's that said "premium only"' but every other Max since 89 other than that year till the 13 has said premium recommended "not required" for maximum performance!

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 10-06-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 PM

Premium speaks for itself. I convinced someone to use premium on their van and they noticed a big difference. A full tank lasted longer.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Have you tried to "edumacate" them as they say these days...lol. They had that hiccup in the 09's that said "premium only"' but every other Max since 89 other than that year till the 13 has said premium recommended "not required" for maximum performance!
Sometimes I chime in & other times I just ignore those threads. The recommendation is there for a reason. If people there are asking those kind of questions, I believe they bought the wrong car. If spending money on premium is an issue, they should have purchased something else.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 PM

It has kinda also been said that these cars have injector problems. Well I've had my i30 for over 3 years and nite once had she had the taste of regular gas....oh wait yea she has this is the gods honest truth :
So my neighbor needed to use my Car he said he'll put gas in. He did and he even filled up the tank. So normally after the tune up and cai install my mpgs went up a huge difference. After 3 days of driving i literally had half a tank. Im like what the hell is going on. Two more days i was on E. So i filled her up and the drivability was better and she was sipping the gas now. We were talking about his maxima about the work that needs to be done on it. Started complimenting my car and i told him the gas situation and he was like oh yea i went to citgo and used regular ...i forgot.

Hell my mom got onto my sisterabout using regular in her i. And my sister uses premium in her altima
Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 AM

Her - "Thanks for letting my friend Amy and I use your truck to move her new couch. I filled it up with premium, just like you put in your Camaro. I think there's something wrong though, white smoke is coming from it and it's louder than usual."

Me- "Yea, no problem babe....WAIT, YOU DID WHAT?"

Took a weekend to drop the tank and clean the system out. No glow plug damage, thank God.

I just saw some YouTube videos and it sure doesn't sound or look pretty... :-o I can only imagine the fun you must have had that weekend.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell

O_O Yeaouch.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by deloa84
I just saw some YouTube videos and it sure doesn't sound or look pretty... :-o I can only imagine the fun you must have had that weekend.
Yea, it was a pain in the you know what. NEVER again will anyone drive my diesel.