4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is the test pipe really THAT loud?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM

i just installed a warpspeed y a few weeks ago and now a MES catback(2.5") monday, the installer could not separate the cat from the old catback so he just made a test pipe on the spot and installed it (didn't charge me) but now my max is F'in LOUD!

anyone else hear a MES catback? i have the 18" resonator and magnaflow muffler. it drones under load at like 1500 - 2000 rpms, or did i just install a loud exhaust?

ohh on a side note anyone use magnaflows heavy loaded spun cats? i cant deicide what cat to use i want 2.5" since the rest of the system is 2.5 i can get that cat which is normally $120 for $80. it seems worth it rather than a $40 eastern that will fail in 25k miles, and the cheapest i can get the basic magnaflow is $50 so for $30 is it worth it? what other cats should i look at?

BTW O2 sims rock lol!

the cats i looked at were universal, i need to check and see how long the testpipe is and if i now need to use a universal or if i can get one with the flanges on so i can bolt it up.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-08-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Almost every cat uses the same exact brick so get whatever one you can find cheapest. I got a thunderbolt like this http://compare.ebay.com/like/170783407749?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar. Also, my 2c on the 4th gen exhaust....the best thing to do is keep it as quiet as possible. It just doesnt sound very good
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Administrator

The test pipe didn't make your system loud, everything else did.

Is either (or both) your WS ypipe or MES catback aluminized or stainless steel? If aluminized, that will make it louder for sure.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM

It cant be that loud!! I have no cay or test pipe or resonator to an vibrant muffler and barely can tell that I modified my exhaust. ..

Cat*

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-08-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by milo2223
It cant be that loud!! I have no cay or test pipe or resonator to an vibrant muffler and barely can tell that I modified my exhaust. ..
Because stock y?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM

Nop y have a warpspeed, or I got used to it already LOL but I dont think mine is loud at all...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM

or slightly deaf lol
Old 05-08-2013, 02:59 AM

yes its all aluminized, how much does it quiet down once its broken in read: carbon-ed up

i didnt want it too loud maybe a deep growl but not too loud. so adding back a cat wont help much?(gonna do it anyways) i have searched the forums and everyone seems to think different. also does the type of cat matter? (bullet vs conventional, ceramic vs metallic) for noise that is.

maybe its a bit leaky ? if it had a small leak would that be noticeable?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-08-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/8782508-post21.html
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
hmm interesting that would work... im not crazy about not having a cat, how much quieter is that?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm blocked from starting any new ones at work and the mobile app doesnt work for new threads either!

After starting my 2000 max, the first time that I really rip it during the drive like getting onto the highway, my engine always makes some strange smells that come into the cabin.

Sometimes its a sulfur smell, sometimes its kind of burning plastic scented. Other times it just smells like general car exhaust.

I'm wondering if my cat might be clogged and is sending some exhaust back into the cabin or something?

I've got a Wspeed Ypipe, SRS Catback and was wondering if you guys would suggest replacing my old OEM cat with a newer high flow one just on a hunch that the current one might be clogged. It would also open up the last link in the exhaust chain besides headers

Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by viking89
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm blocked from starting any new ones at work and the mobile app doesnt work for new threads either!

After starting my 2000 max, the first time that I really rip it during the drive like getting onto the highway, my engine always makes some strange smells that come into the cabin.

Sometimes its a sulfur smell, sometimes its kind of burning plastic scented. Other times it just smells like general car exhaust.

I'm wondering if my cat might be clogged and is sending some exhaust back into the cabin or something?

I've got a Wspeed Ypipe, SRS Catback and was wondering if you guys would suggest replacing my old OEM cat with a newer high flow one just on a hunch that the current one might be clogged. It would also open up the last link in the exhaust chain besides headers

Any help would be appreciated
i think your intent was infact, to jack this thread. You cant wait until you get home to start one?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Just check if your cat is clogged dude... No need to even hijack a thread if you aren't going to look into the problem yourself. It could just be the wire from your o2 sensor laying on the pipe? Maybe you leaked something onto your exhaust?

/spoonfeedingrant

And OP, I have heard that deleting the cat will make it much louder on our cars.. Though I'm not positive that it would. I had a resonated test pipe at one point but I sold it because I wasn't sure about the o2 sims. I'm leaving mine on for inspections, especially if it doesn't make a huge difference. I have budget y, straight pipe from the cat into a nice sounding muffler. I think i'm going to add the stock b pipe back in to quiet it down some for a while. At least until I can finish my little cutout project
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Br0nz
hmm interesting that would work... im not crazy about not having a cat, how much quieter is that?
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=35054

5-7 decibels on a certain given application.

Trying to tune the sound the way you want it is frustrating and expensive. So, trial and error.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=35054

5-7 decibels on a certain given application.

Trying to tune the sound the way you want it is frustrating and expensive. So, trial and error.
so i think i am between a thundercat (sp?) lol or that spiral deal only thing that concerns me is "These mufflers offer a 5 - 7 db drop over open collectors"

this makes me wonder how a cat compares. Did you have your setup w/a cat then with that moroso by any chance?

I know its going to be what ever i like best but i think my priorities are #1 noise #2 i dont wanna pollute. i mean obviously i want flow or i woulda stayed stock i just dont think ill loose much flow to a cat or a muffler so thats a mute point therefore im back to which is quieter.

i shoulda been happy with my y-pipe lol damn mod bug got me. im also gonna check for leaks this weekend when i get a chance.

Last edited by Br0nz; 05-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

yes its all aluminized, how much does it quiet down once its broken in read: carbon-ed up

i didnt want it too loud maybe a deep growl but not too loud. so adding back a cat wont help much?(gonna do it anyways) i have searched the forums and everyone seems to think different. also does the type of cat matter? (bullet vs conventional, ceramic vs metallic) for noise that is.

maybe its a bit leaky ? if it had a small leak would that be noticeable?
Well there you have it. The aluminized y-pipe is the biggest contributor to the noise. Time to get the biggest and best resonator you can fit in your catback...

It will quiet down just a little once it's broken in. Cat may help a little, but not significantly if that's what you're hoping for.

Of course leaks make a difference in sound.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Well there you have it. The aluminized y-pipe is the biggest contributor to the noise. Time to get the biggest and best resonator you can fit in your catback...

It will quiet down just a little once it's broken in. Cat may help a little, but not significantly if that's what you're hoping for.

Of course leaks make a difference in sound.
yea, hear yah on the leaks. i kinda thought of that after i posted i am still in shock, after reading posts from others with MES i thought it would only be a bit louder than stock no drone.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM

I would think his cat-back was the one that gave the noise...he claims he had the Y on already, then the noise came after catback installation...therefore...OP didn't realize that the mufflers taht come with teh catback aren't very muffling
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM

ohh this might seem like a dumb question but should i be able to smell the cat when driving at high speeds or is that a sign i have leaks?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
I would think his cat-back was the one that gave the noise...he claims he had the Y on already, then the noise came after catback installation...therefore...OP didn't realize that the mufflers taht come with teh catback aren't very muffling
lol yeah ...also i never heard the catback with stock ypipe so it could very well be the ypipe... heh
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 AM

lol yeah ...also i never heard the catback with stock ypipe so it could very well be the ypipe... heh

going from STOCK>>>>Y pipe and stock catback wasn't too loud for you

going from Y pipe and stock catback to Y pipe and nwe catback gets too loud for you.......

Both the Y and the catback add a bit of volume. I went from stock to Cattman Y and noticed a little more volume but that's stainless steel and I've still got stock cat-back (but aftermarket muffler)

The catback you got was louder than stock, so when your car (that is already louder than stock) gets something ELSE that's louder than stock...guess what happens?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM

ohh this might seem like a dumb question but should i be able to smell the cat when driving at high speeds or is that a sign i have leaks?
how can you smell what you don't have anymore????
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Administrator

You should never be able to smell the cat. You either have a leak, a worn out cat, or both.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM

You should never be able to smell the cat. You either have a leak, a worn out cat, or both.
Option 3: OP has no cat at all.

the installer could not separate the cat from the old catback so he just made a test pipe on the spot and installed it
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Option 3: OP has no cat at all.
of course. I figured he meant past tense.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM

of course. I figured he meant past tense.
i fully expected to smell it stopped at a red light but i was thinking if i smell it doin 80mph i must have a leak up front
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM

how can you smell what you don't have anymore????
lol wise-a$$ you know what i meant
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM

going from STOCK>>>>Y pipe and stock catback wasn't too loud for you

going from Y pipe and stock catback to Y pipe and nwe catback gets too loud for you.......

Both the Y and the catback add a bit of volume. I went from stock to Cattman Y and noticed a little more volume but that's stainless steel and I've still got stock cat-back (but aftermarket muffler)

The catback you got was louder than stock, so when your car (that is already louder than stock) gets something ELSE that's louder than stock...guess what happens?

i decided to call magnaflow just for the heck of it... that was a waste of time, i hate when these companies make it hard to get anyone with any actually knowledge of their products on the phone, only sales.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM

You'll get more people knowing quality if products on here, honestly.. So many crap products come out that look promising and of quality that we have been drawn into.. User reviews are key.