4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I have a dam.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM

I have a dam.....

I have a dam misfiring or sputtering problem. I thought it was the coilpacks so I replaced all 6 coilpacks and it was fine for like a day. Then it started to like choke. If you hit the gas pedal all the way it takes forever to speed up. Then it would like kick in hard when it wants to and goes fast. Its so annoying I wanted to know if anyone have any suggestions that I can try.

I searched but mostly everyone just have a coil pack problem. Or temp sensor
Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM

did u use oem coil packs?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
did u use oem coil packs?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM

No I bought ones from a store I know it was aftermarket. But it should be fine cuz I had to maximas and the other one I had I also bought all six and it was fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM

After market coils should run fine, they'll just throw a code is all. Have you scanned for codes?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM

Hey, I was having this same problem..tested coilpacks they were fine plugs only have about 1500 miles on them...it had become really bad over the weekend. I was suggested it may be a faulty injector, not having time to do injectors I swapped out the maf. The car's idle evened out considerably and needless to say acceleration is back chirping tires first and second gear...I didn't notice you saying you tested or maybe for you clean the maf, if not give that a shot and see what happens. If you know someone with a working maf maybe swap it just to test it out Good luck
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM

aftermarket coils suck **** for our car!!!!! You need nissan oem coils asap!!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by theblackone3.5
aftermarket coils suck **** for our car!!!!! You need nissan oem coils asap!!
Very true, but as stated i had the same exact issue, misfire - sputtering - lack of acceleration - hesitation -sucky gas mileage-it was the maf, try and swap with someone,if this is also your issue replace maf and put back the oem coils, keep the aftermarkets as emergency spares imho
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Before you spend anymore money, tighten up the plug gap.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM

I'd go for the MAF as mentioned above and you will want to look at the throttle position sensor.
I had the same issue and got codes for coils and the maf, so i said screw it and replaced all of the coil packs with OEM and same for the maf. This took care of a couple of the issues but I was still having a hesitation issue as soon as I stepped on the gas.
I did a little research and replaced the Throttle position sensor with an OEM unit, calibrated it, and bingo...no more problem...finally!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by El_BoriMax
I have a dam misfiring or sputtering problem. I thought it was the coilpacks so I replaced all 6 coilpacks and it was fine for like a day. Then it started to like choke. If you hit the gas pedal all the way it takes forever to speed up. Then it would like kick in hard when it wants to and goes fast. Its so annoying I wanted to know if anyone have any suggestions that I can try.

I searched but mostly everyone just have a coil pack problem. Or temp sensor
If its just a cylinder thats misfiring then focus on THAT cylinder. If the problem is common to all cylinders then its prolly the MAF.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM

My bet is injectors, i have aftermarket coils on 2 of my cylinders with the other 4 being OEM and the aftermarket ones throw no codes. Buy/Borrow a multimeter and check the coils and injectors.