4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

beer shift knob...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
is this why cars like pagani make their entire car out of CF? to appeal to maxima.org and be rice-rastic?

also to address your other point, i agree that max ride 41s ride is clean and ive already appreciated it before. but i would say the wizard and his rides are on different levels completely.
Pagani, Ferrari, etc. The use of CF has actual benefits, weight loss, even though it's not worth the cost to do on most cars, but for a vehicle where cost is no matter, it's a "why not" thing I guess. Fo

Also GG if you'd take another second to think.... The CF is also painted over.... Not un-painted....
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by aackshun
Explain how most of your CF goods have any purpose besides "looking" cool and are more functional than a beer tap shift ****??

And lets be objective here.

Taste, cool points, "looking nice" are all relative to one person's P.O.V. Great job for capturing the small narrow minded audience that is "Maxima.org" but really, outside of this small little realm can you really expect what you have done CF wise to your car be less rice-tastic than the shifter mod we're discussing? In an objective sense, no. Not one bit. Unless you can prove otherwise, which I'm open to hearing, I'm open for more functional mods to be done, so I'm willing to learn.

Cause where it stands, it's just a bunch of Christmas tree like decorations (There is deeper meaning to that statement then just the obvious, take away the decor and what do you have? Just a pine tree) just to separate yourself from ordinary everyday Maxima eg. Max Ride 41 who's work will go 100% un-noticed by any non-org member or someone who doesn't do detail work for a living.
CF is widely used in many automotive applications, beer taps not so much.

GGenius already touched on the point I was going to make. With regards to your ridiculous statement that I've highlighted, do you think exotic car companies like Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini etc only do CF for weight savings? The answer is no. CF can be found everywhere from engine bay panels to interior trim pieces, simply for aesthetic purposes. CF is aesthetically pleasing to the eye (If polled, I'm sure majority would agree). If it wasn't, I'm sure all the high end sports car manufacturers would leave it out if it would hurt sales. Additionally, why do you think 3M came out with their vinyl wrap? Because it looks good to many and is appealing to those who either can't afford the real thing, or the real thing doesn't exist for them.

Between my hood and trunk, I have shaved some weight going CF. Not a whole lot, but some. Coupled with removing the sound deadening material under the carpet, having lighter calipers/rotors etc, every little bit helps my power to weight ratio. The other CF pieces help tie my CF theme together. The beer tap screams, "hey look at me"... and is tasteless, has no theme, and serves no purpose.

On another note, a friend of mine, who is really good at carbon fiber vacuum infusion, made a CF sunroof plug for me to replace the heavy glass. Not only will I shave quiet a bit of weight from the worst spot to have weight, but it looks aesthetically pleasing. If I go ahead and remove the sunroof tracks, motor etc as well, I will have removed 40lbs of weight. Is that functional enough for you?

Maybe another smack to the head will knock some sense into you. LOL

Go ahead, start a poll and see what is more rice-tastic...a cheesy, tasteless beer tap for a shift **** or CF pieces
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 AM

If I go ahead and remove the sunroof tracks, motor etc as well, I will have removed 40lbs of weight. Is that functional enough for you?

now your just being ridiculous. and, no more mr. sun??? i love my sun roof
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Aackshun, I would agree with your argument if you were only speaking about the fake CF wrap being on the same level as ***** shifters, but you can't compare real CF to them. Real CF has function and form, and it isn't an eye sore like a ***** shifter.

OAN, that CF sunroof weighs like 4lbs, with about another half lb in bolts to hold it. If I remember correctly, the glass sun roof with all associated hardware weighs 53lbs
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
CF is widely used in many automotive applications, beer taps not so much.

GGenius already touched on the point I was going to make. With regards to your ridiculous statement that I've highlighted, do you think exotic car companies like Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini etc only do CF for weight savings? The answer is no. CF can be found everywhere from engine bay panels to interior trim pieces, simply for aesthetic purposes. CF is aesthetically pleasing to the eye (If polled, I'm sure majority would agree). If it wasn't, I'm sure all the high end sports car manufacturers would leave it out if it would hurt sales. Additionally, why do you think 3M came out with their vinyl wrap? Because it looks good to many and is appealing to those who either can't afford the real thing, or the real thing doesn't exist for them.

Between my hood and trunk, I have shaved some weight going CF. Not a whole lot, but some. Coupled with removing the sound deadening material under the carpet, having lighter calipers/rotors etc, every little bit helps my power to weight ratio. The other CF pieces help tie my CF theme together. The beer tap screams, "hey look at me"... and is tasteless, has no theme, and serves no purpose.

On another note, a friend of mine, who is really good at carbon fiber vacuum infusion, made a CF sunroof plug for me to replace the heavy glass. Not only will I shave quiet a bit of weight from the worst spot to have weight, but it looks aesthetically pleasing. If I go ahead and remove the sunroof tracks, motor etc as well, I will have removed 40lbs of weight. Is that functional enough for you?

Maybe another smack to the head will knock some sense into you. LOL

Go ahead, start a poll and see what is more rice-tastic...a cheesy, tasteless beer tap for a shift **** or CF pieces
That's a lot of typing to only say one simple thing.

There is A LOT of "hey look at me" decor on your vehicle, that literally serves no other purpose but to be "looked" at, you are the pinnacle of what rice is, since you're so hardcore into it, you've dumped countless hours and time into perfecting the craft, and since it is the popular opinion to flaunt unpainted things in your interior of course many will agree.

At the last autoshow I went to in december, did not see one vehicle with unfinished panels, a lot of fiberglass and cf was used on some, but it was all PAINTED

To me the CF bling trend, is not aesthetically pleasing because it's mimicking unfinished materials, also doing this and the 3m wrap stuff is also pointless because it's only goal is to be looked at, just like this whole stance thing, only point of those cars are to be looked at... Like a fashion accessory, not a car.

It's a culture thing, whose taste, goals, admiration changes with the time.

Just like the beer tap shifter, there are people who admire that sort of thing (same kids who also have gauges in their ears oddly enough... also probably owns a 240 or a miata).

And to think about it.... Honestly... The beer tap shifter is more useful then decorating your car in CF materials, at least you gain leverage on the shifter and make easier shifts.

Wrapping your steering column in CF?? Mirror Shells in CF? Just adding more earings to an ear if you ask me, just looking like those kids who walk around w/ gauges in their ears, saying "look at me."

So to sum things up in a sense, you said a bunch of nothing, and just claimed that your car only looks cool because most people believe it to be cool, I asked for an objective answer and only got subjective content in your reply.

Like I figured, everyone in here is just a ricer, but since the majority opinion believes that in flaunting useless unpainted material in your car is actually cool..... Then good job sir, stay trendy.

ibetiftheshifterwaswrappedincfyouropinionwouldbedi fferent.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
I like Maximas

Here you go OP. Perfect for you since you like ****** etc.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG i can't stop

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM

Just do the danm shifter

be different everyone on the .org tries to do the same crap and we all end up with the look of a lowered 97-99 maxima on 17's or 18's with black interior and exhaust mods.. And then people bedazzle their cars up more, get praise for it, catch sht for it, and take pride.

I want this dude to do the shifter just because of all of the hate in here....
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM

a friend of mine did the same thing in his 4g eclipse, except with the handle of a katana. looked pretty cool, i thought.
you should do it if you like it man. its something you'll enjoy looking at every time you step into your car. you spend 100% of your time in your car when driving it, so why not make it a place you'll enjoy being in!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM

you just don't want it to be ghey, which that is. i've gone out of my way to avoid the same old same old with my mods and think i've stayed as original as possible. the katana handle sounds cool
Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM

How about a Carbon Fiber ***** shift ****?!? Once again, this site is great for information, some very knowledgable guys.. But once again, very closed minded and quick to criticize folks for doing whatnot everyone likes.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4thKizyle99
How about a Carbon Fiber ***** shift ****?!? Once again, this site is great for some information, some very knowledgable guys.. But once again, very closed minded and quick to criticize folks for doing whatnot everyone likes.
Fixed.

Maxima.org in a nutshell.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Most of what I said went right over your head. Figures.

CF is no trend. Been around forever and is gaining even more momentum in today's sports cars and exotics. Me personally, I like because I like it, for multiple reasons as stated. Has nothing to do with the Org, what people think, or a "trend" as you put it.

This is aacckshun at a car show..."look at that car, it has such pretty paint,,,,Oooooooooooooohhhhhhh.....Aaaaaaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhh."

Because metal has paint on it, it's a finished material, but CF infused with resin with a clearcoat finish is still considered an unfinished material? LOLWUT?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fauken
Aackshun, I would agree with your argument if you were only speaking about the fake CF wrap being on the same level as ***** shifters, but you can't compare real CF to them. Real CF has function and form, and it isn't an eye sore like a ***** shifter.

OAN, that CF sunroof weighs like 4lbs, with about another half lb in bolts to hold it. If I remember correctly, the glass sun roof with all associated hardware weighs 53lbs
This guy gets it.

Originally Posted by max ride 41
you just don't want it to be ghey, which that is. i've gone out of my way to avoid the same old same old with my mods and think i've stayed as original as possible. the katana handle sounds cool
Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Administrator

At the last autoshow I went to in december, did not see one vehicle with unfinished panels, a lot of fiberglass and cf was used on some, but it was all PAINTED
So painted CF is ok. LOLWUT?

ibetiftheshifterwaswrappedincfandpaintedI'dorderon etoday
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
is this why cars like pagani make their entire car out of CF? to appeal to maxima.org and be rice-rastic?

also to address your other point, i agree that max ride 41s ride is clean and ive already appreciated it before. but i would say the wizard and his rides are on different levels completely.
Woah bro your trying to compare a pagani to a maxima? Bro do you even lift?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Borker
Woah bro your trying to compare a pagani to a maxima?
Ummm no. Don't take what he said/meant out of context....
Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM

CF is no trend. Been around forever and is gaining even more momentum in today's sports cars and exotics. Me personally, I like because I like it, for multiple reasons as stated. Has nothing to do with the Org, what people think, or a "trend" as you put it.

This is aacckshun at a car show..."look at that car, it has such pretty paint,,,,Oooooooooooooohhhhhhh.....Aaaaaaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhh."

Because metal has paint on it, it's a finished material, but CF infused with resin with a clearcoat finish is still considered an unfinished material? LOLWUT?

You know what I meant, yet you keep trying to justify your point, or maybe it did really go over your head?

Put it in lamens.....

Beer Tap Shift **** = useless modification that's sole intention is to grant the owner visual gratification, something that could only be appreciated by people with a certain taste.

Making/Wrapping Random Parts in CF = useless modification that's sole intention is to grant the owner visual gratification, something that could only be appreciated by people with a certain taste.

Short Version:
My point? Your car to some people looks just as dumb a beer tap shifter to you and the org.

I think both things are pointless, wrapping things in CF and a beer tap shifter. Defeats the purpose of modding in the first place, just screams "Hey, I need attention"

Long Version:
You can always find a group of people who dislike something and who like something. With that said.... This forum isn't a diverse place at all, everyone either hates or loves it, you will seldom find someone with an actual identity when it comes to modding vehicles on this place. I blame it on the car, people who usually own this car aren't really the type of person with the flair, or "modding gene." There is a reason why there are more "nicely modded" maximas off of this site than on this site....
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM

You know what I meant, yet you keep trying to justify your point, or maybe it did really go over your head?

Put it in lamens.....

Beer Tap Shift **** = useless modification that's sole intention is to grant the owner visual gratification, something that could only be appreciated by people with a certain taste.

Making/Wrapping Random Parts in CF = useless modification that's sole intention is to grant the owner visual gratification, something that could only be appreciated by people with a certain taste.

Short Version:
My point? Your car to some people looks just as dumb a beer tap shifter to you and the org.

I think both things are pointless, wrapping things in CF and a beer tap shifter. Defeats the purpose of modding in the first place, just screams "Hey, I need attention"

Long Version:
You can always find a group of people who dislike something and who like something. With that said.... This forum isn't a diverse place at all, everyone either hates or loves it, you will seldom find someone with an actual identity when it comes to modding vehicles on this place. I blame it on the car, people who usually own this car aren't really the type of person with the flair, or "modding gene." There is a reason why there are more "nicely modded" maximas off of this site than on this site....
Why are you still on the wrapping. His argument is based on real cf items, not wrapped. You are straw manning the **** out this argument, that yours isn't holding any water at this point. Then to try and insult a person's car just shows you are running out of valid points.

Last edited by Fauken; 04-17-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 PM

YAWN are we there yet??
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM

SO. Make a long story very short, do what you want to your car and someone is gonna flame at you either way. Old people hate subs and lowered cars. Young people hate small wheels. The .org hates honda trends. That's why I come to the .org seeking facts and not advice on how to make my own car look... most will just say "buy coilovers" which is about $600 more than the other obvious options. They all say 00vi over mevi when that's an opinion in itself. Welcome to the .org. It's a shame 2 of the veteran members are arguing over paint and cf... seems kind of.... childish?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM

^ You're right, this is stupid, to anyone with any common sense they will understand what's going on.

I already typed what I had below so I'll just leave it.

Originally Posted by Fauken
Why are you still on the wrapping. His argument is based on real cf items, not wrapped. You are straw manning the **** out this argument, that yours isn't holding any water at this point. Then to try and insult a person's car just shows you are running out of valid points.

Smdh.

Same difference, part is equally as useless wrapped or made out of real CF.

Only difference is cost and appearance up close.

I'm mainly talking about the.....
Steering wheel column cover, gauge bezel, center waterfall, mirror shells and other random useless things.

Not talking about the Hood, Trunk and Sunroof, which are beneficial, but then again they're still unpainted and tacky looking.

Gosh, something is certainly in the water in Cali.

Being that close to CF is known to cause Cancer in the state of California

Last edited by aackshun; 04-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.