4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

im going to plastidip my car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 AM

im going to plastidip my car.

im going to dip my car, as the subject line says lol.
buy okay saw a couple videos on it i have a spray gun all i need is to order the paint, im going to buy matte black btw just wondering if anyone on here has done it with cans or the gun? i just dont have paint worth saving tbh. when i bought it from the auction *cough* three years ago i didnt think it would last me this long and the paint well its just looks scratched up. so any input would be nice thanks!

EDIT! its all done now took only 12 cans going to buy more tho

smoothness

prep

transformation

at cpt

done before the peel

Last edited by Maxidave?; 04-30-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 AM

i've seen them do jobs that come out really nice. Def do pics.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM

goodluck
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM

i actually thought about this and theres a member on dipyourcar forums that actually did that. You can try finding the thread.

I chose not to do it because i temporary dipped my front bumper and within 2 weeks, someone backed up into my car and the dip got scratched up alot. It just peeled all the way thru to the primer. My scratch is like 1 feet long and about 1 inch wide. Disgusting, but i plan on peeling it off and just do a legit paint job dyi.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM

I've done my wheels with plastidip and for $6 a can there is no other way I'd go again. There isn't much prep work needed at all which is the biggest time saver. Go on dipyourcar.com, they have a ton of products to help from prep, spraying, and "maintenance". The only question I have is to how long it will hold up, there are mixed opinions on it. I've had my wheels done for only a couple months but no complaints so far.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snypa
i've seen them do jobs that come out really nice. Def do pics.
Yeah ill do pics as soon as my next payday comes around lol my funds are low, I've think I've read enough to get the gist of it. I've been down the route of being a "tagger" so I have spraying experience lol

but yeah just want to know if anyone has done it by the can before I order it by the gallons lol

Yeah I've seen rim on jeeps and xterras ran through mud and water and just plain off roading and the paint sticks.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM

My brother is almost done dipping his max. It actually looks good so far.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
My brother is almost done dipping his max. It actually looks good so far.

do you has pics?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 AM
KC's FINEST

I just did my bike a few months ago. Looks amazing and at $27 you can't beat it.

I've been using PD for years...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Maxidave?
im going to dip my car, as the subject line says lol.
buy okay saw a couple videos on it i have a spray gun all i need is to order the paint, im going to buy matte black btw just wondering if anyone on here has done it with cans or the gun? i just dont have paint worth saving tbh. when i bought it from the auction *cough* three years ago i didnt think it would last me this long and the paint well its just looks scratched up. so any input would be nice thanks!
I dipped my ae86 last weekend flat black, used cans w/ a pistol grip adapter, 6 cans for the car, so I imagine a max will be about 8 cans...

Will post picks later
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM

Name:  murder_zpsf1784d27.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  133.4 KB
As promised
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by litch

As promised

thats so clean whats the smoothness on a scale of 1-10?
and also which adapter did you use? the rust-o one?
8 cans? lmao wow i thought forsure i would of had to buy like 15 lol
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM

since when is plasti-puke so great?? wheels are one thing, the entire car...
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM

thats so clean whats the smoothness on a scale of 1-10?
and also which adapter did you use? the rust-o one?
8 cans? lmao wow i thought forsure i would of had to buy like 15 lol
Smoothness is an 8, its not clear coated so you can tell, but it is matte which was my whole point.

I used some handle thing off amazon, search it, you will find it.

remember thats an 86, iz tiny, If i plasti-dip my max, it will take 12-15 i am sure.

Originally Posted by max ride 41

Its simple to use and operator friendly, iz like the training wheels of the paint world...
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM

well i have a 95 and 18 years have done a number to my original biege paint, with that being said i rather just plasti dip it black cause i dont have paint worth saving tbh
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=litch;8747863]Smoothness is an 8, its not clear coated so you can tell, but it is matte which was my whole point.

remember thats an 86, iz tiny, If i plasti-dip my max, it will take 12-15 i am sure.
QUOTE]

yeah i figured lol but with 5.98 a can i cant complain
now buy paint and than post progresion pictures here
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM

[quote=Maxidave?;8747869]
Smoothness is an 8, its not clear coated so you can tell, but it is matte which was my whole point.

QUOTE]

yeah i figured lol but with 5.98 a can i cant complain
now buy paint and than post progresion pictures here
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM

case in point, ^^^^ look at jmax's car, hell, look at my car and you'll see shiny is better. less ghetto, more pride!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 PM

case in point, ^^^^ look at jmax's car, hell, look at my car and you'll see shiny is better. less ghetto, more pride!!!!

ey mang, wet black is cool, I totally love jmax's car, but plasti-dip matte black looks like it is supposed to, matte, I primed/bondo'ed/sanded just like anyone else who is gonna paint, but I wanted to be able to do it at home/change the color if I want to cheap = plasti-dip mang

Shiny = cool

matte = cool

don't hate.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM

ey mang, wet black is cool, I totally love jmax's car, but plasti-dip matte black looks like it is supposed to, matte, I primed/bondo'ed/sanded just like anyone else who is gonna paint, but I wanted to be able to do it at home/change the color if I want to cheap = plasti-dip mang

Shiny = cool

matte = lame

fixed for taste.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM

You can hate on my car all day...
Name:  nismooo_zps51bae8fb.png
Views: 162
Size:  150.6 KB

Can't touch this.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Have you ever considered vinyl wrapping man? I mean with a lil practice you can get a really good finish. I never done it but I intend to do my entire car myself. Not really scared because I already got my bodykit done in my basement and that was the hardest part of the job. There's hundreds of videos showing you step by step how its done
Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 AM

lol shiny i mean jmax's car is nice i wouldnt settle for anything cheap, and i would love if my max was shiny but its beige lol a faded biege at that lol and its a 95 and whoever had the car before me didnt know the meaning of carwashes or detailing and with that my car really is a daily beater with 165k on it and tbh i like the matte look. i was thinking going with a matte white but itll look werid with my wheel gap, i was guna go matte black lower it take the paint off in about a 3-4 month span than redo white. but to each there own lol
and as far as vinyl i thought only shops could do that?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 AM

lol shiny i mean jmax's car is nice i wouldnt settle for anything cheap, and i would love if my max was shiny but its beige lol a faded biege at that lol and its a 95 and whoever had the car before me didnt know the meaning of carwashes or detailing and with that my car really is a daily beater with 165k on it and tbh i like the matte look. i was thinking going with a matte white but itll look werid with my wheel gap, i was guna go matte black lower it take the paint off in about a 3-4 month span than redo white. but to each there own lol
and as far as vinyl i thought only shops could do that?
They also said 22's wouldn't fit but they liars... I wrapped my bodykit in my living room, just waiting for the temperature to warm up to start the car. I have no experience but I have youtube... I watched dozens of videos and got a basic idea how to do it, the rest comes with practice. As long as you have help with the right tools it can be done, but it won't be perfect in the first try, but it will be free and you can be proud you saved $1500-2500
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
They also said 22's wouldn't fit but they liars... I wrapped my bodykit in my living room, just waiting for the temperature to warm up to start the car. I have no experience but I have youtube... I watched dozens of videos and got a basic idea how to do it, the rest comes with practice. As long as you have help with the right tools it can be done, but it won't be perfect in the first try, but it will be free and you can be proud you saved $1500-2500
1,500 -2,500 on what?? a paint job?? matte looks ghetto unless its on a really nice car like that bimmer. and even then i think it looks cheap. and if your spending that much on a paint job, i got some swamp land iin florida to sell you.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM

You can hate on my car all day...

Can't touch this.

so, you turbo'ed an old max?? no pics of it??? i keep my 95 running smooth, performance wise i'll wait until i get something nicer to blow my wad on. you know, like a g37 or a q45. old maxes are still alot of fun to fix up and mod, i'm just not going to spend too much more on mine.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 AM

I've seen a civic done here locally and it looked good. was done with a professional sprayer...my only suggestion is do not do your window trim..or take them off and do it seperate and then put back on the car. It looked crappy and cheap on this car.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 AM

wrapping an entire car is NOT as easy as doing your ody kit in your living room. trust me. wind/dirt/contaminants are what causes complications when wrapping. and outside there are a LOT of them. be warned. you might have to buy more than one wrap...
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM

so, you turbo'ed an old max?? no pics of it??? i keep my 95 running smooth, performance wise i'll wait until i get something nicer to blow my wad on. you know, like a g37 or a q45. old maxes are still alot of fun to fix up and mod, i'm just not going to spend too much more on mine.

loook close... thats an sr20det... no old max... thats in my 86. My max is a 98 w/ the vq35.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
wrapping an entire car is NOT as easy as doing your ody kit in your living room. trust me. wind/dirt/contaminants are what causes complications when wrapping. and outside there are a LOT of them. be warned. you might have to buy more than one wrap...
I don't plan on doing the wrap outside, I'll either do in my moms gargae or my gurl because the garage at my place is used as storage. And yes I am aware that it's not an easy job but I'm not afraid to take on the challenge. I did the body kit in my basement with no experience and it came out pretty decent for the first time.

The car should be easier because it's less contours than the bodykit. But you'll see that custom Matte Orange with Satin Black two tone soon man...
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 AM

1,500 -2,500 on what?? a paint job?? matte looks ghetto unless its on a really nice car like that bimmer. and even then i think it looks cheap. and if your spending that much on a paint job, i got some swamp land iin florida to sell you.
and thats why im planning to plastdip it im not guna waste a bunch for a pro paint shop matte black dropped and maybe some obx headers and im dont modding it, driving it till it cant take me anywhere no more. than after that i will get a wrx wagon is in my path with front mount ic and bigger turbo than my life would be complete
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM

I don't plan on doing the wrap outside, I'll either do in my moms gargae or my gurl because the garage at my place is used as storage. And yes I am aware that it's not an easy job but I'm not afraid to take on the challenge. I did the body kit in my basement with no experience and it came out pretty decent for the first time.

The car should be easier because it's less contours than the bodykit. But you'll see that custom Matte Orange with Satin Black two tone soon man...

cant wait to peep it lol i think ima go plastidip just casue the ease of it and removal.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 AM

thats good. was just givin you some warning. **** can be tricky. but aint as hard as some shops make it out to be. just need a good environment.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Plastidipping is easier, cheaper, and quicker than vinyl wrapping while achieving the same look and protection. I would go that way if I were you. And the opinions on the matte black look is subjective. That's like saying the color green makes a car look cheap. Sorry to any green Max owners.

There are plenty of people trying to achieve the "murdered out" look that have messed up the look of matte black for many. Painting your tail lights and wheels matte black along with the car has this effect. With the proper peel, matte black can really transform the look of a car for the better. As with any cosmetic modification, taste plays a major role.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by NightRider
Plastidipping is easier, cheaper, and quicker than vinyl wrapping while achieving the same look and protection. I would go that way if I were you. And the opinions on the matte black look is subjective. That's like saying the color green makes a car look cheap. Sorry to any green Max owners.

There are plenty of people trying to achieve the "murdered out" look that have messed up the look of matte black for many. Painting your tail lights and wheels matte black along with the car has this effect. With the proper peel, matte black can really transform the look of a car for the better. As with any cosmetic modification, taste plays a major role.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I personally have never seen an entire car painted my "cans" only on Youtube by the professionals. I can only imagine how many times and how much cans you'll need to give the car a professional finish. Spraying it on too thin will result the harder peeling when ready to use. The vinyl is around $400-500 for enough to wrap your whole car. Has anyone painted there entire car with cans, and how much was used?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM

This is my project that I'm currently working on. Bought the film off of someone for $400 and I'm wrapping it myself. It's not perfect but I am saving myself over $1600 and with the practice I could probably get better and do it as a side job. Who knows, the plasti-dip is probably gonna look sick.

Name:  IMG_1935.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  132.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1936.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  78.6 KB

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 03-16-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM

I agree and disagree at the same time. I personally have never seen an entire car painted my "cans" only on Youtube by the professionals. I can only imagine how many times and how much cans you'll need to give the car a professional finish. Spraying it on too thin will result the harder peeling when ready to use. The vinyl is around $400-500 for enough to wrap your whole car. Has anyone painted there entire car with cans, and how much was used?

I did an ae86 with cans, but thats just b/c I didn't have a low pressure sprayer at the time...

each can has 11 oz, a gallon has 128 oz, so to get a gallon of plasti dip on it is 11.5 cans...

each can is 8.99

so you need 12 cans to do one gallon, that's 107.88 per gallon.

a maxima will take 2 gallons (according to the plasti-dip site.)

thats about 216 dollars for the paint...

4 dollars for the little handle thing that makes the cans easy to work with...

plasti-dip is really easy to spray on b/c it comes out thicker than typical paint, so it doesn't run very quickly, and a coat dries in about 25 minutes, it is super forgiving, I put 6 coats on my car and it has the finish I want...

and I was worried that it was too thin, so I tried a section of the hood to see if I could peel it off, and then re-applied the same 6 coats and see if it blended, It peeled fine, but I noticed that when I re-applied the 6 coats it was slightly shinier... I will see if the sun fades it and blends it in, but that is my only concern with it right now...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 AM

i always considered buying the procar kit off dipyourcar it seems super cool i would do yellow, black, white or orange but the only two colors that would look good on my max i feel is the black or white but i wouldnt mind being different and go yellow lol
Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 AM

they have white? i think matte white would look sick

Quick Reply: im going to plastidip my car.