4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen Maxima 80K maintenance recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM

4th gen Maxima 80K maintenance recommendations

I snagged a low mileage 1998 GLE that was well taken care of by 1 owner and attached to a remarkably clean Car Fax. Looking for recommendation as to what should be serviced and/or maintained at an 80,000 mile/15 year interval. I've already completed the following:
  • Oil change
  • Transmission pan drain
  • New brake pads, rotors, and calipers
  • Brake fluid flush
  • New Monroe Quickstruts in front and back
  • New LCA's, Tie rod ends, and end links
  • New inner tie rods
  • New fuel filter
  • New PCV valve
  • Throttle body cleaning
  • New tires
  • New Platinum (OEM) spark plugs
  • Front end and rear end alignment

Any other suggestions? 02 sensors? Engine mounts? Just curious as to what else tends to be problematic at interval service dates?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM

sounds like one hellova find! You gonna post pics? How much did you "snag" it for? lol.

As for the maintenance, youve already done more than enough. Know that old saying, dont fix it if it isnt broke! Try and stick to that! You replaced most of the parts that wear out if they needed it or not. The fluid flushes were good though.

Are you experiencing any issues or you just throwing more money into it?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
As for the maintenance, youve already done more than enough. Know that old saying, dont fix it if it isnt broke! Try and stick to that! You replaced most of the parts that wear out if they needed it or not. The fluid flushes were good though.
Ditto. i strongly agree with max dreamer. One thing to add to the list since your already doing a throttle body cleaning, I would clean out the MAF and the IACV. and also check the air filter.

Either way great find. I know you'll enjoy!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
Are you experiencing any issues or you just throwing more money into it?
The front end seemed a bit loose when I test drove it. It seemed the original owner undercoated the car but the LCA's were rusted enough to justify replacement on both sides. The steering had some play in it noticeable in the 12-3 rotation. So I decided to replace the tie rod sets on each side. And the car bounced just a little too much in the front corners so an obvious strut change out I think was ok after 15 years. Just decided to go with Monroe Quickstruts since Amazon had a phenomenal deal on all 4. The tie rod ends and end links are all Moog PS as they can be regreased as needed.

Also, wanted more of a foot print so I found a set of 17" 2001 Maxima wheels (paid $180) and are having them reconditioned for $250. Not bad since they normally sell for $175 each. Finally, the tires were shot so I picked up a set of take off Michelin Energy's for $400 to mount on the new rims. My wheel set up will be done tomorrow.

As far as fluid changes, everything else was just general maintenance on a vehicle this old. The throttle body had a nice build up of carbon deposits. The PCV valve was gunk'd up. Spark plugs were OEM but couldn't confirm how old they were. So new OEM platinum's were put in. To top it off, the Max was thirsty for Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic oil with a Mobil 1 filter.

The savings of labor and heavily discounted parts didn't put too much of a dent in my bank account, especially for a car 15 years old. Considering I only paid $2750 for it, I'm not complaining. It's just my daily driver to and from work anyways.

Last edited by busterbrown1; 02-03-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CrazxyDominican
Ditto. i strongly agree with max dreamer. One thing to add to the list since your already doing a throttle body cleaning, I would clean out the MAF and the IACV. and also check the air filter.

Either way great find. I know you'll enjoy!
I'm definitely enjoying the Maxima. Wish I had picked one up years ago. Didn't realize how reliable this generation was.

I do have a question though regarding the IACV. After my tune up and TB cleaning, I noticed a higher idle RPM when cold and warm. I did happen to adjust the loose throttle cables to take up some slack so I backed off the tightness a bit to correct it. It was still idling around 900 so I adjusted the black screw the contacts the throttle cable linkage. Got it down to 750-800. What's normal for idle for our Max's? Also, is there a better procedure to adjust idle RPM's after a tune up?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 AM

There's no rear alignment on a '98....looks like you got a lot covered. If your starter clashes the was a lube issue on the original, and depending on where you live, the subframe rusts out and detaches from the lower rad support....
Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 AM

80k??? what is this, 2001???
Old 02-04-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by busterbrown1
I'm definitely enjoying the Maxima. Wish I had picked one up years ago. Didn't realize how reliable this generation was.

I do have a question though regarding the IACV. After my tune up and TB cleaning, I noticed a higher idle RPM when cold and warm. I did happen to adjust the loose throttle cables to take up some slack so I backed off the tightness a bit to correct it. It was still idling around 900 so I adjusted the black screw the contacts the throttle cable linkage. Got it down to 750-800. What's normal for idle for our Max's? Also, is there a better procedure to adjust idle RPM's after a tune up?
Fully warmed up idle should be about 600-750. However 750-800 isn't bad. Turning the black screw is the correct way to adjust idle after the car is fully warmed up.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by busterbrown1

Originally Posted by Climaxx
Fully warmed up idle should be about 600-750. However 750-800 isn't bad. Turning the black screw is the correct way to adjust idle after the car is fully warmed up.
FSM specs at idle are +/-650rpm for 5 speed manuals and +/-750 for the 4 speed auto. I honestly wouldn't worry much unless it was idling over 1k.