4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

am i on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM

am i on the right track?

It would seem every morning/afternoon/evening. cold or dead of summer. my maxi will start up and bog down to death, now i know of the current tsb relating to the hardstarting in cold. but this applies to all situations. However after its been running for a while it'll bark up no problems. Here's my thought, is it possible the fuel pressure regulator is failing? yet starts up due to residual fuel pressure possibly lingering after being driven for a while? idk, its usually solved with me giving it a lil feathering of the pedal but id like for just a smooth start, less the cold situation. anybody thoughts/opinions.

*forgot to add ive already cleaned the maf, TB, IACV, EGR...*

Last edited by steezmuffin686; 01-31-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Administrator

When I had your symptoms, I cleaned my TB and IACV which solved my problem...but you've already tried that so I'm not sure what to tell you. I'd look at/replace the PCV valve if you haven't within the last 30,000 miles or so.

Yes, it could be the fpr. Maybe even a failing fuel pump.

No modifications, correct? Bone stock?

When is the last time you changed the PCV valve and fuel filter?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the response wizard, the fuel filter i replaced with a 300zx fuel filter about 10k miles ago. and the pcv valve i have yet to touch so perhaps il try that. only mods i have are bolt ons, (see sig) nothing relating to fuel, or spark so its a wonder. il give the pcv valve a go and report back.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM

the pcv valve is located behind the rear valve cover is it not? perhaps im retarded but cant seem to find it. is this it? arrow pointing.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Administrator

No, that's not it. Stand at the drivers fender at look right at the throttle body. Now look 2" behind the TB and to the left a smidge and there is a hose going into the top of the rear valve cover. The PCV valve is there.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 PM

If I'm not mistaken it is quite fragile and a pita to get the hose off... (at least it was every time I did it)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Thank you wizard, i found the sucker. what am i lookin for as far as a failed component?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by steezmuffin686
Thank you wizard, i found the sucker. what am i lookin for as far as a failed component?
Take the PCV and shake it. If you here something jiggling inside, it's not clogged. If you don't hear anything, it's clogged.

From Google:
There are two methods to quickly determine the health of the PCV valve. The first is to remove the oil cap and place a stiff piece of paper over the opening. If the paper is not sucked against the hole, this could be a sign that the valve is faulty.

Another method is to disconnect the valve from the valve cover, while leaving the hose attached. Place a finger over the open end of the hose and you should feel a strong suction, which indicates that the valve is working well. While it's detached, give the auto part a shake. An unobstructed valve will produce a rattling noise.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Take the PCV and shake it. If you here something jiggling inside, it's not clogged. If you don't hear anything, it's clogged.

From Google:
There are two methods to quickly determine the health of the PCV valve. The first is to remove the oil cap and place a stiff piece of paper over the opening. If the paper is not sucked against the hole, this could be a sign that the valve is faulty.

Another method is to disconnect the valve from the valve cover, while leaving the hose attached. Place a finger over the open end of the hose and you should feel a strong suction, which indicates that the valve is working well. While it's detached, give the auto part a shake. An unobstructed valve will produce a rattling noise.
Thank you sir, i had zero rattle so i ordered a pcv thru the dealership i work at. hopefully this fixes the prollem, otherwise my sights are set on the fpr. will report back whence said part is installed... to be continued?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
If I'm not mistaken it is quite fragile and a pita to get the hose off... (at least it was every time I did it)
ya that sucker sucks big time.I'ma just by pass that whole metal spaghetti deal goin on there. run a line right to the manifold. did you do that?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by steezmuffin686
ya that sucker sucks big time.I'ma just by pass that whole metal spaghetti deal goin on there. run a line right to the manifold. did you do that?
Just changed mine out two days ago. Sucks even with the TB and attached hoses out of the way. Several flat heads on either side prying it up helps some. Mine rattled very little when I inspected it. It may have been the original OEM. Replaced it with a Fram.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 AM

well i replace the pcv with oem nissan. and still no dice. also just replace the spark plugs w/ ngk v-power. would there be anything else i could/should check before going ahead w/ the fpr and after that fuel pump? gettn close to stumped.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the resistance of the ECT sensor, refer to the FSM for the correct temp vs resistance values.

Also make sure the cold idle plunger and linkage is working correctly. It's down under and to the left on the throttle body. If its working correctly, it should open the throttle plate slightly when then engine is cool. This helps maintain a faster idle speed when the coolant/engine temperature is low.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Check the resistance of the ECT sensor, refer to the FSM for the correct temp vs resistance values.

Also make sure the cold idle plunger and linkage is working correctly. It's down under and to the left on the throttle body. If its working correctly, it should open the throttle plate slightly when then engine is cool. This helps maintain a faster idle speed when the coolant/engine temperature is low.
thank you jxmaxseltd i just so happen to have the fsm for a 98, as im a 97 i should see no difference in resistance values id imagine. Il check these and report back with my findings.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM

That's gotta be it! That's what controls your car's fuel injection when the car's temp is cold from setting up....If the ECT or water temp sensor is bad or it's wiring is faulty you will have a hard time starting when the engine is cold but runs fine once it's up the operating temperture.....Junkyard bound, for you can find dozens of them to test with....
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CMax03
That's gotta be it! That's what controls your car's fuel injection when the car's temp is cold from setting up....If the ECT or water temp sensor is bad or it's wiring is faulty you will have a hard time starting when the engine is cold but runs fine once it's up the operating temperture.....Junkyard bound, for you can find dozens of them to test with....
Actually, when the car is hot, a faulty ECTS will cause a car to shut off.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Actually, when the car is hot, a faulty ECTS will cause a car to shut off.
OK....you sure depends on if it allows the car to actually overheat....But if the circuit is open due to a broken harness wire or faulty ECTS it will run.....I had this problem before....
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
OK....you sure depends on if it allows the car to actually overheat....But if the circuit is open due to a broken harness wire or faulty ECTS it will run.....I had this problem before....
well i inspected my ects today and i saw no breakage in the wires, all wires were good and i have 4.86v on terminal 2 to the ects per the fsm, so my wiring is good. guna pop that sucker out come the weekend and do the boil test. anything im missing
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

also the cold idle plunger is working fine as i can imagine the movement i saw was standard operation.