4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Maxima Owner Squeaking issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Maxima Owner Squeaking issue

HELLO MAXIMA.ORG!!!!!

Now before you say anything i DID USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!! Err googles that is.... I am a 1st time "hey imma fix that myself" and i have VERY little time under a hood and even less with a wrench in my hand. I will try to do my best not to ask stupid questions.

Regardless i diagnosed(through Max.orgs help) that i had a loose Serpentine belt, which i changed last night(the one i took off was a few centimeters thinner than the one i replaced it with) and AS SOON as it was on 99% of the squeaking went away.

Only time is makes some chirping is upon start up and when i accelerate with 3/4 or more throttle. Should i tighten the serp belt more?? or could there be issues with the other belt? I have NO A/c ATM if that matters at all.

What should be my next course of action?? tighten tension bolt more until i hear no squeal?

Thanks if you took the time to read and thanks to all that answer Im SUPER happy to be a Maxima owner!!!! cheers

Last edited by HydrA; 01-24-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HydrA
HELLO MAXIMA.ORG!!!!!

Now before you say anything i DID USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!! Err googles that is.... I am a 1st time "hey imma fix that myself" and i have VERY little time under a hood and even less with a wrench in my hand. I will try to do my best not to ask stupid questions.

Regardless i diagnosed(through Max.orgs help) that i had a loose Serpentine belt, which i changed last night(the one i took off was a few centimeters thinner than the one i replaced it with) and AS SOON as it was on 99% of the squeaking went away.

Only time is makes some chirping is upon start up and when i accelerate with 3/4 or more throttle. Should i tighten the serp belt more?? or could there be issues with the other belt? I have NO A/c ATM if that matters at all.

What should be my next course of action?? tighten tension bolt more until i hear no squeal?

Thanks if you took the time to read and thanks to all that answer Im SUPER happy to be a Maxima owner!!!! cheers
It probably needs to be tightened more.

However, what do you mean by you have no a/c? If you have no compressor, that is one thing. But if the compressor is still there and not working, a bad bearing could be causing the problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks my man!!! Imma go out there and crank down on it some more!
If it IS the compressor bearings..... do i just find a new compressor or can i change bearing(as i said im car retarded.....for the moment)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM

People have replaced the AC clutch bearing before. It might still be available if you can find the bearing number online or by looking at the old part. If the AC clutch/pump are bad it wont be worth installing a new bearing.
Does the clutch engage at all?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM

NOOOOB!!!!!! sorry, i had to do it.