4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3.5 swap...Is it worth the hassle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Logan30
Aackshun...Really? 7.5 secs with the 3.5 swap? And you are offended with my answer?

The question is very simple, I don't understand why the hating. I also answer all the questions from other maximorgers based on my experience, in an attempt to help not to expose my childhood traumas, like apparently you are doing.

I did search, but no one gives a straight REVIEW of how the car feels, or the pros of having the swap, most of them say how difficult it was and all the obstacles to get it done.. If my questions are subjective is because I'm not educated the 3.5 swap theme.

If you don't have something good to say, don't say nothing at all. Next time check the thread if you don't feel like answering, don't do it, period. Not everybody is as talented and skilled as you.

By the way, you wasted your valuable time hating instead of answering, go figure.

Thanks everybody for the info, I really appreciate it!

Peace!
He's saying educate yourself first. You're questions are lame cause you haven't done research like you said. You should be able to estimate yourself what 0-60 can be based on what you bolted to your max. You never even considered 5Spd vs 6spd maxima or 6spd sentra ser because you didn't know because you failed to research because you were lazy.

Damn 4x because in that last sentence lol. The people that know their **** here are extremely valuable resources that don't cost a thing. They WILL ALWAYS help you if you'vw done your homework first. the only reason I see for you not doing research is because you're not genuinely interested in doing this. If you were you wouldve known a lot by now.

I get that you Basically want someone to provide a review on a swapped max but that's pointless cause its only their opinion. Watch some videos, look at pictures, read articles etc.

Plus your thread is askin is it worth the hassle not how is it like to drive. Let me tell you how it is to drive based on just logic: it will be quicker. Is it worth the hassle? : that depends on a lot of things from you which I'm sure they were already mentioned. Stop askin subjective questions as a thread And maybe send a pm to someone who is 3.5 swapped... Also why aren't u looking in the "joining the 3.5 swap club" thread? It's tellin a story of the build for 1 person.

and yes he could've written something useful instead of taking the time to point out your vagueness but why would he succumb to spoonfeeding you? That's what moms are for. Go read

And Wtf? Childhood traumas? dont Get butthurt Just cause you obviously confused hate with real talk

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Well, you two enjoy your life together, thanks anyway.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Want more power? Swap it, youll beat 5.5's easy as well as many other cars. Requires swapping entire engine harness and ecu. Don't wanna keep the car? Sell the **** and be done with it. Not all 3.5's burn oil. Mine doesn't burn a drop of oil.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM

The question is very simple.
-Annndddd.... you got a simple answer in the very first reply, yet you kept on b1tching....

I don't understand why the hating. I also answer all the questions from other maximorgers based on my experience.
-Hey I've been using a pencil all of my life, can you tell me what writing with a pen is like? I mean I hear all about pens and how great they are but I just want a review based on real world experience. TIA guyzz

in an attempt to help not to expose my childhood traumas, like apparently you are doing.

-Childhood Trauma?

I did search, but no one gives a straight REVIEW of how the car feels, or the pros of having the swap, most of them say how difficult it was and all the obstacles to get it done.. If my questions are subjective is because I'm not educated the 3.5 swap theme.
-Again, I searched up and down about using pens, no one could really tell me how the pen feels against the paper, most of them talk about how you can't erase the ink once you write on the paper..... I think I haven't researched enough on the issues... Fountain... Ball Point.... Erasable ink.... White out... All of these things to read about before getting into using Pens to write instead of Pencils....

If you don't have something good to say, don't say nothing at all. Next time check the thread if you don't feel like answering, don't do it, period. Not everybody is as talented and skilled as you.

-Why make a thread on a P U B L I C forum if you're afraid of the responses?

-Also... When I first joined this forum I could not tell you wtf a VQ30 or a VQ35 was. I could tell you a lot about B, C and J series motors and what's needed to make good power on them.... But as to wtf a 4th gen? or 5th gen was? Or why a lowly family sedan could pull on the venerable Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 6MT? Couldn't tell you the damn thing.
Guess what I did? I learned me some knowledge, and guess what? Cars are cars, what makes them fast is very simple, it can be applied to any type of vehicle in any chassis or anything..... What isn't simple is what you want our of your car and how you are able to go about getting what you want....

Dammit I'm being helpful...

*Resume troll mode*

By the way, you wasted your valuable time hating instead of answering, go figure.

-

Thanks everybody for the info, I really appreciate it!
-You are welcome.

Peace!
-
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
There are none, the motor is heavier, has a longer stroke and a bigger bore, all of that means a lot of weight, and then on top of it a lot of 3.5's burn a lot of oil and finally they cost more than 3.0's.

To me, more weight, less reliability, seems like a down grade to me. I don't know what all of the fuss is about with these 3.5 swaps these days, they don't even make that much power burning all of that oil and costing that much $$$
LOL. so many rookies are gonna see this post and believe it.

all jokes aside, your question is subjective. When I did my boosted 3.5 years back, i wasnt worried about reliability, fuel economy or comfort. ironically, i drove it over 20k miles in a single year without hiccup and outlasted my beater.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM

o man you killed me with pencil vs pen today is such an entertaining org day! take a look in the fifth gen drction thread: fuse box grounds for more wtf and lols! i'm gonna make me one of them fancy sigs with a quote in it when i get the time lol

Last edited by carsnwomen91; 12-11-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM

Sometimes I am really proud to be an american, this is one of those times.

pen vs. pencil... seriously, who thinks of that???
Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Good to know that you've got creative aackshun, I must admit the pencil vs pen was funny even when it did not proved anything. Believe it or not, *****in' aside, I learned that I have to be more specific on my questions, I'll give you that. Oh, and please by all means, keep on *****in' you are funny when you do that, and so effortless.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Want more power? Swap it, youll beat 5.5's easy as well as many other cars. Requires swapping entire engine harness and ecu. Don't wanna keep the car? Sell the **** and be done with it. Not all 3.5's burn oil. Mine doesn't burn a drop of oil.
Thanks Clint, I'll see my options...Need to locate a 3.5 in good shape first. I'll do my $$$ math.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Good to know that you've got creative aackshun, I must admit the pencil vs pen was funny even when it did not proved anything. Believe it or not, *****in' aside, I learned that I have to be more specific on my questions, I'll give you that. Oh, and please by all means, keep on *****in' you are funny when you do that, and so effortless.
According to your profile you're currently in Mexico? I mean you're doing well with English so far, but take the time and realize what I just wrote.

It was both hilarious and very informative if you can read between the lines.

But this ship has sailed, the Pen v Pencil was the last straw, maybe some one else can spoon feed you the info you so desire.

Hint: Don't look in the 4th gen section for information.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Thanks Clint, I'll see my options...Need to locate a 3.5 in good shape first. I'll do my $$$ math.
car-part.com
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM

According to your profile you're currently in Mexico? I mean you're doing well with English so far, but take the time and realize what I just wrote.

It was both hilarious and very informative if you can read between the lines.

But this ship has sailed, the Pen v Pencil was the last straw, maybe some one else can spoon feed you the info you so desire.

Hint: Don't look in the 4th gen section for information.
Get over it man, it's over...It's not you, it's me.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you have to ask the question if it's worth it, then it's not for you.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM

in my opinion. after reading thread after thread on the vq35 swap i say yes, definately worth it. but if your anything like me...that wont be enough. i believe ima get another vq30, build the internals and head...that way everything is plug and play. and then ima go boost. as far as tuning goes i havent got that far into it, but alas. time is plenty.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM

OP,

ALthough the 3.5 will directly bolt in, I do not think its plug and play. If I was to get serious with this car I would be keeping the 3.0 and going with stronger internals and find more power through cams, heads and FI. Best of luck with you on what you decide.

I do agree you should seek more info as there is allot available on the vq35 swap. One thing for sure, I wont be asking any of the flippant senior members that have decided to jackasses on this thread and try to outdo each other on being obnoxious instead of helpful for their advice! Classy guys.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Watchdogg
OP,

ALthough the 3.5 will directly bolt in, I do not think its plug and play. If I was to get serious with this car I would be keeping the 3.0 and going with stronger internals and find more power through cams, heads and FI. Best of luck with you on what you decide.

I do agree you should seek more info as there is allot available on the vq35 swap. One thing for sure, I wont be asking any of the flippant senior members that have decided to jackasses on this thread and try to outdo each other on being obnoxious instead of helpful for their advice! Classy guys.
Good word usage for "flippant." +1 Point, But mr DAWG (may I call you that?) the point of the jackassery is to prove a point.

Now I know what you are thinking, "what point could this be?"

There are several and they include
-Its your car, in the end it is all about what YOU want to do with it, asking us for subjective information, is kinda like me asking you if I should wear a red man thong or a blue one to work today... It's my a$$ and I should be able to decide which one I want to rock.

-The search button is your friend. Every single question the OP asked has already been extensively answered, it helps to get your knowledge base up before you go firing off, "is this worth it guys???" If you have an idea of what you are trying to do, you will find people MUCH MUCH more supportive.

-DONT GO TOE-TO-TOE with aackshun, just don't do it, or any of the really techincally proficent guys on here for that matter, it won't end well.

So, there you have it, enjoy the .org DAWG!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Banned

Its not plug n play??? I thought if you just hand your 4th gen over to Aackshun(sugatitz)jackson when he's done you just need to turn the key and go.

So in my eyes thats Plug N Play!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Gl!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Its not plug n play??? I thought if you just hand your 4th gen over to Aackshun(sugatitz)jackson when he's done you just need to turn the key and go.

So in my eyes thats Plug N Play!

You called aackshun sugatitz!!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by litch

You called aackshun sugatitz!!
You do know thats the pet name Rochester calls him after the encounter they had...lets just say sugatitz jacksons was lured with a sack of maple bacon doughnuts and a burger and dressed as abraham lincoln!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM

You do know thats the pet name Rochester calls him after the encounter they had...lets just say sugatitz jacksons was lured with a sack of maple bacon doughnuts and a burger and dressed as abraham lincoln!
Looooool sugatitz Hahahaha org is priceless
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM

THAT WOULD LURE ME TO DO ANYTHING!!! MAPLE BACON DOUGHNUTS?!?!?

sir, if almighty God were to indulge in a breakfast delight, he could do no better than maple bacon doughnuts.

And you are saying that this combination of doughnuts & delicious burger lured him into an Abe Lincoln Costume???

sir, I give you checkmate, I don't know what aackshun was lured into wearing said costume, but I assure you it was worth it.

Last edited by litch; 12-19-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by litch
THAT WOULD LURE ME TO DO ANYTHING!!! MAPLE BACON DOUGHNUTS?!?!?

sir, if almighty God were to indulge in a breakfast delight, he could do no better than maple bacon doughnuts.

And you are saying that this combination of doughnuts & delicious burger lured him into an Abe Lincoln Costume???

sir, I give you checkmate, I don't know what aackshun was lured into wearing said costume, but I assure you it was worth it.
Lets just say Rochester fullfilled his fantacy and Aackshun!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 AM

Lets just say Rochester fullfilled his fantacy and Aackshun!
.... I am going to let my imagination run wild.....
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM

Hard to give you advice if you want a different car but if you wanted to keep the maxima a vq30 would be the cheapest. VQ35 is very nice if you got the money.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 AM

:metalmax:
Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

:metalmax:
Dont Run from the Truf!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 PM

There are none, the motor is heavier, has a longer stroke and a bigger bore, all of that means a lot of weight, and then on top of it a lot of 3.5's burn a lot of oil and finally they cost more than 3.0's.

To me, more weight, less reliability, seems like a down grade to me. I don't know what all of the fuss is about with these 3.5 swaps these days, they don't even make that much power burning all of that oil and costing that much $$$
waT?

the motors are actually the same weight. If anything the VQ35 is actually a couple of pounds lighter than the VQ30.....You should know this by now. This poAst was a joke right?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
waT?

the motors are actually the same weight. If anything the VQ35 is actually a couple of pounds lighter than the VQ30.....You should know this by now. This poAst was a joke right?

Real talk tho... unless something extra was attached to the motors we send out.... the 3.5 generally is heavier by 35 +/- 5lbs.

Oddly enough the RWD 3.5's are generally 20lbs heavier than FWD ones.

I've only shipped out two 3.0s ever though, don't have enough info to make a solid claim, but both motors have weighed 300lbs +/-5lbs on ze pallet.

The lightest 3.5 I've shipped has been 330lbs.

The Z/G/FX ones I ship pallets generally range from 340-360lbs. Pending pallet and which motor (DE/RU/HR).

Oh **** I posted something else useful in here, da fck is wrong w/ me?!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 AM

ight guys i got a question for u. i read most of this forum i stopped after about 4 diff comments coming at the person who posted it haha. well i have done alot of research on this swap witch i plan on doing this summer. my only question is and i cant find the answer anywere is wat is the best year to get the 3.5 from.(im doing the timing swap) i could get anyone i want i just gotta find it. i have read and i seen that someone put the 09 3.5 in there 4th gen and i seen they had to do alot of extra stuff to make it work(i seen that forum a long time ago and i cant find it to go back and read it again). i really dont want to do all of that. almost all of the forums i read have the same info in them. but none stating the best one to get. and yes i understand thats an opion point. so i guess wat im trying to find out is wat year did they start putting the extra add ons?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by P0tter7
ight guys i got a question for u. i read most of this forum i stopped after about 4 diff comments coming at the person who posted it haha. well i have done alot of research on this swap witch i plan on doing this summer. my only question is and i cant find the answer anywere is wat is the best year to get the 3.5 from.(im doing the timing swap) i could get anyone i want i just gotta find it. i have read and i seen that someone put the 09 3.5 in there 4th gen and i seen they had to do alot of extra stuff to make it work(i seen that forum a long time ago and i cant find it to go back and read it again). i really dont want to do all of that. almost all of the forums i read have the same info in them. but none stating the best one to get. and yes i understand thats an opion point. so i guess wat im trying to find out is wat year did they start putting the extra add ons?

The easiest one is a 2004+. The 6th gen engine is more reliable than the 2003, 5.5 gen, less oil burning. As far as simplicity goes, you can't really beat that gen. Here is what you need.

1: Cam adapters.
2: Egr Delete
3: Vias Block off

And the last 2 are really optional, they just make it easier.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Easiest engine for a hybrid swap without oil burning issues: 04-08 Max from a 6-speed car.
The upper oil pan on auto/CVT have the CPS in a different spot.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...o-5-5-gen.html

No one has swapped an 09 Max engine into a 4th gen that I'm aware of.
I have an 07+ Altima 3.5 which requires drilling the cams and swapping the upper pan.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM

I have a 3.5 from an 05 maxima with about 100k in my 99 and it does not burn a drop...

In my opinion was it worth it. To sum it up YES!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 PM

I have found that most oil burning issues associated with 3.5's after 03 are from ill maintained PCV systems. Always check the PCV passages in the valve covers for sludge build up. If the passages collect too much debris then the motor will not pull in enough fresh air to compensate for the manifold vacuum. I had an 09 Maxima in the shop once for this issue. There was enough vacuum in the crankcase that the intake manifold would collect a ridiculous amount of oil and obviously would go directly into the combustion chamber.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Any update....:d
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM

3.0 ftw and has 5 awards for the engine alone 3.5 has none so whats that say....just add a few bolt ons add some headers and a nice 75-100 shot and you will make more power and be faster then the 3.5 swap cause the 3.5 is heavier...by the time u spend all that time and money switching the motors out swapping stuff u coulda just ran nos and some new exhaust save u couple hundred bucks and a big smile when get it done!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 PM

It's worth it if you have the money and patience.
There is a guy on here that says he doesn't know what the big deal is about; then he drove a 3.5 4th gen and STFU.
Loved it and smiled ear to ear, even though he hit his head on every bump from the awesome cut springs.
I've now tuned the beast and I am a happy owner.
The engine cover is nice too. LOL
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 PM

i have full exhaust and yes i felt the diff right after i out headers on. nice. and my motor has 255,000 mile its hard to find a 3.0 with low miles. im thinking of turboing it. watever one i put in the car. i keep hearing the motor way the same amount. and im going to look for the 04-08 motor. ima i was mostly looking at an 06 just cause i didnt no wat year was good

and i read a hole fourm on someone puttin an 09 motor in it a max i belive it was a 4th gen or a 5th gen. ill look and see if i can find it and ill post it here. he has to run a hole bunch of extra **** to get it to work. it was good but i dont got time for all that
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 PM

Stop posting, search, and read. Everything you need to know is already figured out for you.

Quick Reply: 3.5 swap...Is it worth the hassle?