4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what the hell could it be ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 PM

what the hell could it be ?

Guys i just don't know what else to do except get a new MAF. have 4 which i bought at various times just to have . CEL went on p100,bad maf. So i change one still on after the reset and driving around, usually as soon as i floor my A/T . I even changed the wire on the harness only the red one just to make sure there was no short .. Can't be all my MAF's are bad. now what ?

got 00vi which i suspect is meesing with some readings and my stupid 99 ECU is making me go crazy. when maf code is present i never have a smooth acceleration when i WOT it i get a bit of hesitation after 4500 or so rpm.

experts please chime in. or anyone with something they know and i'm missing.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:27 AM

clean the maf, then put it back in, done.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
clean the maf, then put it back in, done.
Did that before putting it in
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM

3 maf's later and still after two days it comes back on....damn it!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Got Retrofit?

Maybe an intake leak?

http://www.boredmder.com/ecucodes/in...1999&DTC=P0100
Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ur intakes probably leaking if not then you didnt use maf cleaner to clean it.. but if you did... then you need to spray that **** down every line n the intake and run some seafoam thru the intake hose while the cars running then shut it off for 5 mins then start and rev until smokes gone.. if it works u owe me one
Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

3 MAF sensors and the problem still exists means the MAF isn't the issue.
Check the wiring from the connector back to the ecu.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Found tree little holes in the k&n filter size of a fork punch. Would that ne considered a leak? So far with new filter has been around two hours driving and still no codes. Crossing fingers ... will post back
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by smokedouttkilla
ur intakes probably leaking if not then you didnt use maf cleaner to clean it.. but if you did... then you need to spray that **** down every line n the intake and run some seafoam thru the intake hose while the cars running then shut it off for 5 mins then start and rev until smokes gone.. if it works u owe me one
did all that thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by smokedouttkilla
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by CautiousDriver
Found tree little holes in the k&n filter size of a fork punch. Would that ne considered a leak? So far with new filter has been around two hours driving and still no codes.
Hopefully that was your issue.

I've had a rear O2 code for some time and with a new O2, the code came back. I finally got around to installing some silicone couplers with t-bolt clamps this weekend and I noticed that my old couplers were cracked. I think that was my issue and so far, my code hasn't come back. I'll see on my trips tomorrow *fingers crossed as well*
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM

Oh well floored it and magic dreaded orange light is back. Ffrr
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Got Retrofit?

Oh well floored it and magic dreaded orange light is back. Ffrr
Maybe you have a leak somewhere else.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Found tree little holes in the k&n filter size of a fork punch. Would that ne considered a leak? So far with new filter has been around two hours driving and still no codes. Crossing fingers ... will post back
A leak would be between the MAF and throttle body. Are there any cracks in the duct or any vacuum tubing loose? Check the MAF GND circuit too.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by SVI30
A leak would be between the MAF and throttle body.
What about after the TB?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 AM

is the isolator to the MAF good? that dryrots and causes a lot of problems.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
is the isolator to the MAF good? that dryrots and causes a lot of problems.
sory but what's an isolator?
my friend at some point thought it was the red wire(main power to maf) could of shorted so he replaced it somewhere down the tubing that goes back to ecu. speaking of ecu shouldi rtae a wire all the way back to the actual ecu ? is that feasable without pulling the whole car apart ?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM

couldn't find any leaks
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM

the isolator is the rubber gasket looking thing that goes on the end of the MAF opposite of the airbox. they dryrot and crack, and the ring rots off and it ends up causing all kindsa intake leaks. its only an $8 OEM part too and a 30 second install.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:58 AM

the isolator is the rubber gasket looking thing that goes on the end of the MAF opposite of the airbox. they dryrot and crack, and the ring rots off and it ends up causing all kindsa intake leaks. its only an $8 OEM part too and a 30 second install.
sorry been away sometime. isolator i removed completely and attached a rubber coupler which goes to throttle body secured by metal tightners.
just replaced the maf again from my friends drowned by sandy maxima, still same issue. not the maf.

need to pass inspection now and it's the only code outthere which is getting me beyond upset. should i just go back to stock intake at this point? suggestions?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 AM

It's worth a shot I guess? I had a civic that kept throwing iacv codes.. After 4 iacvs I tried swapping in a different ecu and the code never came back. I had the car for another year or so after that. Do you have a spare ecu available to you? At this point I would give that a try.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 AM

I personally took out my iacv and cleaned her real good to correct my poor idle. I have heard of similar problems your describing in the beginning of this thread, being from a damaged evap canoster just behind the rear drivers tire... also i saw one where the knock sensor was shorting out causing similar issues. Hope this helps
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zach-R
It's worth a shot I guess? I had a civic that kept throwing iacv codes.. After 4 iacvs I tried swapping in a different ecu and the code never came back. I had the car for another year or so after that. Do you have a spare ecu available to you? At this point I would give that a try.
99 ecu is not a simple simple swap I think it has the chipped key wont be able to start it right up. When talk of cleaning iac is it just the black piece or I have to unbolt the metal piece fron TB ? cause I cleaned that black piece really well I think. Also after plugging it back I dont know which way to plug it back . It has six connections and they work both ways. But one makes my car run at 1200 rpm idle the other makes it stall. Then in park. It fluctuates like someone is pressing gas back and forth. Really weird .but drives like a champ. No stalls. Never had that before. How to know which way is correct? Maybe someone with 00vi set take a look at their and tell me? Right now I have. The purple wire on top...would really appreciate it
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM

ive never ran a MAF without an isolator. wouldnt the MAF not be tight and flush withouth the isolator? regardless of a coupler.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM

ive never ran a MAF without an isolator. wouldnt the MAF not be tight and flush withouth the isolator? regardless of a coupler.
correct me if im wrong but its not liquid just air. And with a rubb err. Coupler it sjould be fine.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM

It was mentioned before but have you checked the connector? Maybe its worth a try to swap the connector out. Maybe steal one from your friends Maxi. Btw I wasnt saying it was your iacv just mentioning a weird experience I had. My Civic would throw the code for iacv about every two weeks or less every time I reset the ecu. Once the light came on it would hesitate. After my 4th iacv I went out on a limb and swapped in a dif ecu. Viola! It never came back. Maybe the ecu had a short in it i dont know. It would be nice if you could try a different ecu just to rule that out.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM

correct me if im wrong but its not liquid just air. And with a rubb err. Coupler it sjould be fine.
"Coupler" will be fine only if it is also air-tight! It's not "just air" - air leaks behind the MAF introduce "unmetered air" (air the computer doesn't know about) into the combustion process. This can cause all kinds of driveability problems.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bobflood
"Coupler" will be fine only if it is also air-tight! It's not "just air" - air leaks behind the MAF introduce "unmetered air" (air the computer doesn't know about) into the combustion process. This can cause all kinds of driveability problems.
ok then how would i know for sure if any air leaks by the coupler which i got brand new and tightened real tight with that metal ring or the straight piece of piping which i got from autozone to attach to TB and maf ? some sort of "dye" kit ? hold a match ?

to another point i will try and switch if i can find another plug for maf.

Last edited by CautiousDriver; 12-04-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Markusfisher
I personally took out my iacv and cleaned her real good to correct my poor idle. I have heard of similar problems your describing in the beginning of this thread, being from a damaged evap canoster just behind the rear drivers tire... also i saw one where the knock sensor was shorting out causing similar issues. Hope this helps
you said cleaned, just the black piece or you unbolted the entire thing from TB ?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 AM

+1 on this. That isolator needs to be in the proper place and needs to be in good condition. When I replaced my MAF I found that I had to replace the isolator also - about $10 at the dealer (that is where I learned what it's name is!!). Good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM

Yep c oupler I checked is securely tightened around maf.I wont buy something todo the same.it seems something electrical