4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fog light install

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Fog light install

Hey guys, Im trying to install fog lights on my max and I have some questions. Someone told me to straight up wire them to my low beams. Im wondering if that will blow a fuse. I was told to get a relay and a switch, but they explained the whole process and it seemed tedious. Would wiring them straight to my low beams be safe? I checked that they run on 15 amp fuses. Could I get a 20-25 amp fuse so it can be safe to wire the fog lights straight to my low beams??
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Search..

Go to the junkyard, get a blinker stalk with fog switch and fog relay...use factory fogs
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Search..

Go to the junkyard, get a blinker stalk with fog switch and fog relay...use factory fogs
True - my 99 had all the connectors for the lamps and stalk and everything else already installed OEM in the wiring harness - I think all 4th gen Maximas are built that way. This was a pleasant surprise when I bought the fog light kit from Courtesy Nissan a loooonng time ago.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:39 PM

^The majority of the cars are prewired (possibly all of them...not sure)

You need the fogs, with the pigtail that has the harness connector
Stalk with the fog light switch
The Foglight relay under the hood

I might be forgetting something, but I think that is it. Ive done it to my car twice in the passed (Ive taken the fogs out once)
Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Yea, but for some reason my Max doesn't have a stalk or relay. Im not gonna look in a junkyard. I think I'm gonna go with a higher amp fuse and just wire them straight to the low beams
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Do it the right way...don't burn your car down being lazy

Your car won't have the stalk or relay, but should have the fonnector in the bumper tapped to your bumper light harness
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Da4gotten
Yea, but for some reason my Max doesn't have a stalk or relay. Im not gonna look in a junkyard. I think I'm gonna go with a higher amp fuse and just wire them straight to the low beams

Stop being lazy and do it the right way or risk causing a electrical fire do to excessive load and heat onto a low gauge wire, all u need are 3 components

Fogs with the harness
Fog switch
And lastly fog relay,

All these cars are prewired from Nissan, u only need to add the components ur self that's it,

If u can't source these parts, contact me I have them all, and one point to remember you must buy the fog switch corresponding to your vehicle year, due to plug fittings

If u need further help just ask
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM

just get a oem stalk you'll thank yourself later
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 PM

better yet i have done this and it works great and never had a problem wat u need to do is.

first all the wires are ran factory. the only thing that is missing is a realy, fog switch, and fogs.
1.under the steering wheel colum there is a wire harness that runs to the blinker switch. on the outside of that wire harness there is a plug that only has to wires going to it and it is taped up. cut the connector off and splic them together.( wat this dose is makes them always come on when the headlights come on. basicly u wont have a switch to turn them off)

2. put the relay in were it says fogs its on the pass. side under the hood near the power steering overflow bottle. u need a blue relay its the same one as the wiper relay. wat u can do is go to the junk yard and take one from the wiper relay off the anothe max.

3. plug the fogs in and turn ur HEADLIGHTS ON and they should turn on.
if not check the fuse box under the hood driver side next to air box.

NOW. wat i did was made them come on with my running lights so i can have the fogs on without haveing the headlights on(this will make them stay on all the time as in when u turn ur running lights on they come on, ur headlights they are on and ur high beam they are on.) wat i did was i look the relay box out. there is a wire going to the relay for the fogs its the switch wire. wat it dose is when the circuit is made the relay turns on. all the swtcih wire is, is a 12v power source made from when the fog light switch is on. so i cut the switch wire going into the fog relay about 4 inches. i spliced(sodier it) a wire into it andand run it down the wire harness and out of the relay box near the washer fluid container. now run it under the headlights down to the sidemakrers (just the one on the pass side) an splice it to the positive wire going into the sidemarker. now when u turn the runing lights on ur fogs turn on with them.

i can get u the color wire for the fog relay u need to cut and splice into tomorrow ill look at mine if u want me to. its really easy and well worth it. i always drove around with my fogs on. looks fresh and it gives it that rare look casue around me no one hookes up maxes and no one had the fogs like me. js message me questions really easy good luck
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM

If you do go to the junk yard look at the connection your original light switch has.. I had to goto the junk yard twice because there are different stalk connections
Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 AM

Actually guys I just remembered. I bought LEDs bulbs for my fogs so hooking them up straight to my low beams wont affect it since they draw so little power. It shouldnt be a problem then right?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM

?????
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM

We've given you answers...you shot them down. What more do you want? We're not going to tell you that its all good to do something that could potentially cause damage to your car
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Well I dont like to think I shot your advice down. Im greatly consider it, I just thought I could maybe try out my idea first before going on a junkyard hunt. It seems like a possible thing, I saw a video if a guy doing the same thing with LEDs. If I dont see that it works ill try out yours.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM

honestly i thought it was going to be hard also but i just got the parts and everything was pretty much straight forward