4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

&$*#^%# stole my Max!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 PM

&$*#^%# stole my Max!!

I still can't believe this. Somewhere between 1:00 and 1:30 IN THE AFTERNOON, while we were home, someone stole my Max from the car port over the house. There was no broken glass, and little noise, so they must have been good.

It's a 96 GXE, burgundy, license 3NXY672. No mods, and the body is a little beat up, so all I can figure is they were doing it for parts. I'm in Oakland Cal, so it may end up in the SF East Bay area, if it doesn't immediately end up in Southern Cal.

If you're shopping for parts and run across it, please call me at (510) 501-0856. It's just a DD and not worth much, but it runs pretty well and I've put so much time into keeping it that way, I'd hate to have to start over with something else...
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to hear that, I'm new to the board and just got my '96 Maxima a month ago. It was stolen out of my driveway two weeks ago, the cops found it a week later. No damage, nothing stolen other than my jacket, not even any damage to my door locks or ignition!

That's crazy that it happed during the day, good luck and I hope you find it. I thought I would never see mine again but it is possible...
Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 PM

o man that sux!! i hope you recover maxy and they catch the ****** that stole it. good luck!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 PM

Wow dude sorry to hear this. I hope the person who stole your car sees justice
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Got Retrofit?

Sorry to hear. Post your info in the west coast section.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry to hear that man goodluck and just hope its not all to pieces if u get it back
Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Sorry to hear. Post your info in the west coast section.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Wow whoever did this has serious ***** to steal the car parked in your carport next to your house in broad daylight like that. I guess it doesn't take much to hotwire and steal a 4th gen if the person that did it is experienced? Hope you get your car back man that really sucks...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM

sorry to hear that.

a few years ago, we had someone do a smash and grab but the only thing they got was the change in the ashtray. they tried to jimmy the radio out but couldnt.

they didnt take the car though, but left a broken drivers window for me to fix.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Hopefully the west coasters can watch out for ya. Sadly its an easy car to steal
Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM

people so confused about why your cars being stolen when barely anythings missing or broken:

people steal cars to go do shady **** in, and then they just drop the car and whipe it clean, pretty much by the time its reported stolen.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM

hate car thieves and GGENIUS do they steal maximas in nj? i only know about the hondas getting stolen
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM

lol they steal maximas everywhere. They are low profile and simple to steal. Most likely it is sitting on the side of the road right now a few miles from where it was stolen
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the sympathy guys. I cross-posted to the Classified forum, but I just added one to West Coast. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear man. I know how you feel.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
lol they steal maximas everywhere. They are low profile and simple to steal. Most likely it is sitting on the side of the road right now a few miles from where it was stolen
man that sucks lol atleast i got a clifford alarm on mine
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I cross-posted to the Classified forum, but I just added one to West Coast. I'll let you all know what happens.
check craigslist parts u might see something familiar from your car
Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
people so confused about why your cars being stolen when barely anythings missing or broken:

people steal cars to go do shady **** in, and then they just drop the car and whipe it clean, pretty much by the time its reported stolen.
or set it on fire instead of wiping depends if they pre-planned a good spot to set it on fire.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
or set it on fire instead of wiping depends if they pre-planned a good spot to set it on fire.
yeah i guess around you. i live right by trenton city. there aint no place to set a car on fire that wont be seen in 1 minute.

MaxFiyah: nobody i know has had one stolen, but ive seen i30s and maximas parked with every window busted out. ive had mine parked on numerous streets overnight and nothing was touched on mine. and sometimes i keep a tool bag with over a grand in tools in it on my back seat, got my CF ID roof spoiler could easily be stolen. as well as fogs or the whole car.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Damn I would be soo pissed, sorry to hear that man.. My friends car got stolen the other day and got it back a week later with no parts missing. They put 300 miles on it I guess just joy riding.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
yeah i guess around you. i live right by trenton city. there aint no place to set a car on fire that wont be seen in 1 minute.

MaxFiyah: nobody i know has had one stolen, but ive seen i30s and maximas parked with every window busted out. ive had mine parked on numerous streets overnight and nothing was touched on mine. and sometimes i keep a tool bag with over a grand in tools in it on my back seat, got my CF ID roof spoiler could easily be stolen. as well as fogs or the whole car.
yea never heard of maximas getting stolen till now i did kno about the stock hids getting stolen around 2003 but thats when hids were mad money
Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 PM

I've been hitting Craigslist daily for the past week to score some cheap parts but I haven't seen anything suspicious yet. I'll let you know if I do though. Good luck man.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by nismomaxgtr18
Sorry to hear man. I know how you feel.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 AM

so what makes Maximas so easy to steal and how can it be prevented?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 AM

To think that 4th gens are still being stolen 18 years later after being first manufactured, is a bit disturbing but think it is either for joyride or for parts... hope you get it back boss.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by QworbO
Install a hidden switch for the power wire to the fuel pump. It's a must have, so simple yet so effective.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Maxima´s are easy to steal because the door locks accept almost any key that has similar shape...I did a test with a neighbor that has a 96 Max, I have a 98...Long story short, I was able to open his car with my key EEEEAAASY, and he opened my car as well with his key, no hassle whatsoever...What the thief does is just test a bunch of keys knowing that one of them will open as if the car was his. Most Nissan cars have this kind of crappy locks.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 PM

Sorry to hear that man. Never thought I would see a maxima stolen at all. But in Oakland I can kinda see it happen sometimes. Just from the stories I have heard about there. Then again my cousin had his camry stolen smashed the front end and the inside smelled of liquor
Old 10-07-2012, 11:35 PM

Really sorry that happened to you man Hope they get caught.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Logan30
Maxima´s are easy to steal because the door locks accept almost any key that has similar shape...I did a test with a neighbor that has a 96 Max, I have a 98...Long story short, I was able to open his car with my key EEEEAAASY, and he opened my car as well with his key, no hassle whatsoever...What the thief does is just test a bunch of keys knowing that one of them will open as if the car was his. Most Nissan cars have this kind of crappy locks.
lets hope the thieves are'nt reading this thread right now, sheesh.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM

I hope you get her back in ONE piece! Sorry sorry to catch this thread so soon...
****s real in Oakland. I miss the Bay Area.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by QworbO
some 90's Japanese cars can be opened with ghost keys, theyre just "generic" cut keys that you wiggle in locks and you can open them or even start the car. usually theyre sold as a set, as in Honda, GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, etc having their own ghost key. we have them at work incase we lock a key in a car or whatever

problem is any person can buy ghost keys, i think theyre even still on Ebay. early 90's Hondas like Accord are easy to use ghost keys on, same as 4th gen Maxima

best thing to do is pull your fuel pump fuse or wire in a switch near the center console that you have to push to start it.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM

man that sucks how about the 5th gens like the 03 do u know if those are easy to steal?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
man that sucks how about the 5th gens like the 03 do u know if those are easy to steal?
no idea about 5th gens, but if they want it bad enough they'll use a tow truck or flatbed in the middle of the night. if its not kids stealing cars, it'll be somebody who knows what theyre doing to get what they want
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
some 90's Japanese cars can be opened with ghost keys, theyre just "generic" cut keys that you wiggle in locks and you can open them or even start the car. usually theyre sold as a set, as in Honda, GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, etc having their own ghost key. we have them at work incase we lock a key in a car or whatever

problem is any person can buy ghost keys, i think theyre even still on Ebay. early 90's Hondas like Accord are easy to use ghost keys on, same as 4th gen Maxima

best thing to do is pull your fuel pump fuse or wire in a switch near the center console that you have to push to start it.
Awhile back a girl I used to work with locked the keys in her Pontiac Sunfire. I owned a few cars at that time, and it just happened that my older model Audi key slid right into the door lock. After sliding it in and out to get a feel for the tumblers, I gently backed the key out just a tiny bit, turned and unlocked it. She was amazed how I did it and demonstrated it to her. At the end of the day, about a dozen other people I worked with all headed down to the parking lot to see how I did it, so I gave them all another demonstration.

Moral of the story is that many locks can be easily picked. You can go on Youtube and watch many videos of people picking open Master locks with a pen clip.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Update: Got her back! They found her a couple of days later in a bad part of town. The $100 stereo was gone (at least they didn't destroy the housing doing it) and the lock cylinder and related plastic covers were trashed. They also hit something with the front end, and one of the lights was hanging down. But I never quite gotten around to canceling my comprehensive on this car, so the insurance paid for it. Just got her back yesterday. Much nicer than the cheapo Versa rental that my insurance paid for (not that I'm complaining about that).

The night before mine was stolen, a guy down the street had his Del Sol stolen too. I used to live in a nice neighborhood...
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM

So it seems like the guy who stole your car knew about the ignition switch. Because if you can pull that off, you can pretty much stick a screw driver in the slot and start the car.

I'm sorry about your car man, but I am glad you got it back!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Glad you got the car back

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Moral of the story is that many locks can be easily picked. You can go on Youtube and watch many videos of people picking open Master locks with a pen clip.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Other option to hopefully find it is on the Facebook 4th Gen page. Lots of activity on there these days
Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 AM

damn thats crazy. sorry to hear about it man. my friend has a civic and lives in a less then pleasant neighborhood. he wired up his car so it had to be in reverse before it would crank. i think he wired a switch in with the reverse light wiring but i cant remember. i know when i do my 5spd swap im definitely putting some kind of anti-theft device like that on it. but anyways good luck finding it man.

Quick Reply: &$*#^%# stole my Max!!