4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who has Raxles? Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 PM
wxm

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I just don't want to tear them up in the process lol I've got an alignment rack there so I'm not worried about that.

How about the seals? Necessary to change?
It doesn't have to, but I would.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by wxm
95 auto abs. Replaced my driver side original with raxle about a half year ago. No issue at all. Very pleased with it.
Did you change the seal?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 AM
wxm

Did you change the seal?
I did not, but only because it was replaced not long ago by a shop due to the leak. $200 that I could have saved if the axle failed first. But on the other han, if I had a spare in hand I would change it again. iMHO, the seal is just cheap enough that not worth a job just for itself.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by wxm
I did not, but only because it was replaced not long ago by a shop due to the leak. $200 that I could have saved if the axle failed first. But on the other han, if I had a spare in hand I would change it again. iMHO, the seal is just cheap enough that not worth a job just for itself.
I just know it's gonna be a b1tch to do and I don't have a seal puller.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 AM

The raxles come with all new seals. Just remove old and replace.
I found dropping driver side strut helped with getting the spline to seat properly, you can push it right in.
Passenger side - I used a combo of flex head ratchet and flex end box wrenched to get to the collar that holds the axle in. Its a tight squeeze to get I'm there. Air ratchet will not fit in there.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM
wxm

Originally Posted by Trans4ma
The raxles come with all new seals. Just remove old and replace.

Really, mine did not.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
wxm

Seal pullers are inexpensive. Here is one on sale now(
Amazon Amazon
). If you don't have one, it might be a good idea to keep on in the tool box anyway. Setting the new seal however is a bit tricky if you don't have seal setting tools, but you might be able to get away with a large size socket...

Last edited by wxm; 09-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:18 AM

i replaced both my CV axles and seals. got mine at rock auto. they are remanufactured but for the 60 bucks it cost me apiece i'll take my chances. i thought i saw 200 apiece on the raxles site. no more leak and no issues since i installed 2 weeks ago.

Seal puller is a handy tool. but you can use a screwdriver just as well. i started the seal by hand and used a 2x4 and hammer against the seal to drive it home. no issues and no more leak.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Got Retrofit?

The raxles come with all new seals. Just remove old and replace. I found dropping driver side strut helped with getting the spline to seat properly, you can push it right in. Passenger side - I used a combo of flex head ratchet and flex end box wrenched to get to the collar that holds the axle in. Its a tight squeeze to get I'm there. Air ratchet will not fit in there.
Are you sure they come with new seals? I'll have to ask.

Both coilovers will be removed.

Originally Posted by wxm
Seal pullers are inexpensive. Here is one on sale now(http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5741-Se...ds=seal+puller). If you don't have one, it might be a good idea to keep on in the tool box anyway. Setting the new seal however is a bit tricky if you don't have seal setting tools, but you might be able to get away with a large size socket...
I'll probably buy that if I can't find one at the shop. I am worried about seating them. I'll see about those too.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 PM

Dont really have to remove the struts, I did not. I didnt know what seals you meant but if you buy the raxles new they might come with them who knows. Mine were used
Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 PM

Are you sure they come with new seals? I'll have to ask.

Both coilovers will be removed.

I'll probably buy that if I can't find one at the shop. I am worried about seating them. I'll see about those too.
Yes. Had them side by side on the floor. Looked exactly the same.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Got Retrofit?

Yes. Had them side by side on the floor. Looked exactly the same.
Well one is supposed to be a little smaller isn't it? The passenger side IIRC.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Well one is supposed to be a little smaller isn't it? The passenger side IIRC.
You're correct. I meant to say old and new side by side.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Got Retrofit?

You're correct. I meant to say old and new side by side.
Ah okay. I'll ask Marty before I order.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

Ah okay. I'll ask Marty before I order.
http://qualityrebuilders.com/Buyers-Guide.html
Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by cjandura
No lifetime warranty bruh. 1 year or 12K miles (whichever comes first).
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Banned

No lifetime warranty bruh. 1 year or 12K miles (whichever comes first).
Well your a balla

Sent from my ****
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
The thing with axles is that its about the part AND the installation. Because Raxles sells u the axle, its up to you to get a decent installer.
DW
I'm not understanding how they can be installed wrong? It's like putting in a light bulb, it either works or it doesn't. ???? Parts only go in one way or they don't fit. .......

Question for people who have done this themselves:
No need to remove anything really .... just slip the brake line holder off the strut and you can spin the strut 90º out of the way to clear the axle from the hub. Easy easy easy ....

The raxles come with all new seals.
Mine did NOT come with new seals .... either time.

Originally Posted by goliath
used a 2x4 and hammer against the seal to drive it home. no issues and no more leak.
Wow ... ur brave! LOL Spin the 36mm socket around like I said before and it fits perfectly against the seal, this way you don't run a chance of tearing the rubber and having a leak in the future.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JtzMax
I'm not understanding how they can be installed wrong? It's like putting in a light bulb, it either works or it doesn't. ???? Parts only go in one way or they don't fit. .......

My civic has raxles. A friend of mine did it. When he installed the 1st time, my car would go into gear, but the gears would spin like they were in neutral. No connection to the wheel yet everything came back together. He took things apart and got it right the next time. Go figure

DW
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Got Retrofit?

No need to remove anything really .... just slip the brake line holder off the strut and you can spin the strut 90º out of the way to clear the axle from the hub.
I'm just gonna remove the coils and make it that much simpler. Should take all of 5mins to remove them both.

Mine did NOT come with new seals either time.
I figured but I'll call and ask anyway. Sounds like I'll be making a trip to the dealer.

Spin the 36mm socket around like I said before and it fits perfectly against the seal, this way you don't run a chance of tearing the rubber and having a leak in the future.
You think the axles would seat them properly? Like, if I somewhat seated the seals then used the axles to do the rest of the work? lol Just an idea.

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
My civic has raxles. A friend of mine did it. When he installed the 1st time, my car would go into gear, but the gears would spin like they were in neutral. No connection to the wheel yet everything came back together. He took things apart and got it right the next time. Go figure.
Sounds like they popped out on ya.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Got Retrofit?

Anyone know if these are the two seals?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/38342p-...-p-189636.html
http://www.courtesyparts.com/38342q-...1784_1851_1858&

If not, does anyone know the part numbers? Car is a '96, auto, non-LSD and ABS if that matters.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Whatchyou say?

You think the axles would seat them properly? Like, if I somewhat seated the seals then used the axles to do the rest of the work? lol Just an idea.
Not sure Chris ... I'd not want to risk the chance they didn't seat properly or that I tore the seal during install. Call me old fashioned I guess.

There's room for that 36mm socket to set up in there, I used a long (very long) extension to seat the PS seal. Actually, I had my wife use the hammer and I held the socket on the seal to guide it.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Got Retrofit?

There's room for that 36mm socket to set up in there, I used a long (very long) extension to seat the PS seal. Actually, I had my wife use the hammer and I held the socket on the seal to guide it.
Hm, guess I'll be giving that a try.

Also, just going to be changing the driver side. The passenger side clunking is from a bad tie rod end. I might change the driver side tie rod end too.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM

Not sure Chris ... I'd not want to risk the chance they didn't seat properly or that I tore the seal during install. Call me old fashioned I guess.

Axle nut just happens to be 36mm!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Got Retrofit?

Axle nut just happens to be 36mm!
Bingo.

I'm just going to change the driver side axle. My passenger side is fine. The noise I'm hearing if from a bad tie rod end. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to change the seal along with the axle.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Whatchyou say?

Bingo.

I'm just going to change the driver side axle. My passenger side is fine. The noise I'm hearing if from a bad tie rod end. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to change the seal along with the axle.
I don't regularly change the seal .... but since the axle is out, why not right? IMHO, if it aint broke, don't break it so you can fix it. hehehehe

Nothing wrong with doing them one at a time. I did .... have had to do that many times due to $$$ or time.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Got Retrofit?

I don't regularly change the seal .... but since the axle is out, why not right? IMHO, if it aint broke, don't break it so you can fix it. hehehehe. Nothing wrong with doing them one at a time. I did .... have had to do that many times due to $$$ or time.
You're right. I'm afraid of not seating the new seal right and having that headache. I've never had a tranny leak but I've never had to replace an axle either.

Hopefully I can remove the driver side without pulling the passenger side. I have an auto.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Whatchyou say?

You're right. I'm afraid of not seating the new seal right and having that headache. I've never had a tranny leak but I've never had to replace an axle either.

Hopefully I can remove the driver side without pulling the passenger side. I have an auto.
Hope it goes smoothly for ya .... with the strut out of the way, grab ahold of the shaft and give it a good firm tug, should slide right out for ya.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Got Retrofit?

Hope it goes smoothly for ya .... with the strut out of the way, grab ahold of the shaft and give it a good firm tug, should slide right out for ya.
I'm a diesel guy so it should be easy if that's the case lol I'll be ordering it early next week and already have the Moog tie rod end on the way. I'll update this whenever I get everything done.

Thanks a lot for everything guys! This is why I still love the org
Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Got Retrofit?

I ordered the Raxle today. Marty is a cool guy and was easy to deal with.

I think I'm going to replace the driver side wheel bearing as well.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Whatchyou say?

Not a bad idea .... but, I hope you have a press and a grinder. There's a way to do it that an old Nissan tech showed me on mine. You'll need to use the outer race to insert the new outer race of the bearing.

Maybe this should be a diff thread, but hey ... it's your thread. hehehehe Basically, you'll need to grind down the outer race (old one of course) and it'll need to be 1/2 the width ground down. Grind off about 1/2 the thickness. Use that to seat the new bearing, DO NOT USE A HAMMER .... long story and somewhat embarrassing. This is where the press comes in ... At any rate, it's not a hard job really, just time consuming.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 PM

There are some minor differences. our cir-clips are set deeper into the bore, with the seals driven into the bore last.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Got Retrofit?

Not a bad idea .... but, I hope you have a press and a grinder.
I've got a press but eh maybe I won't be changing it lol I'm gonna swap axles and see of there's still that tiny bit of play at 12o'clock and 6o'clock.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM

Not a bad idea .... but, I hope you have a press and a grinder. There's a way to do it that an old Nissan tech showed me on mine. You'll need to use the outer race to insert the new outer race of the bearing.

Maybe this should be a diff thread, but hey ... it's your thread. hehehehe Basically, you'll need to grind down the outer race (old one of course) and it'll need to be 1/2 the width ground down. Grind off about 1/2 the thickness. Use that to seat the new bearing, DO NOT USE A HAMMER .... long story and somewhat embarrassing. This is where the press comes in ... At any rate, it's not a hard job really, just time consuming.
+1, This is how installed the new bearing, except I did tap directly on the outer race to start it.

First I removed the hub with a slide hammer after removing the axle nut.

Then Then I removed the seals and circlips.

Then I removed the knuckle from the car and drove the bearing out with a large drift and shop hammer, working around and around the bearing.

Last edited by asand1; 09-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Whatchyou say?

I've got a press but eh maybe I won't be changing it lol I'm gonna swap axles and see of there's still that tiny bit of play at 12o'clock and 6o'clock.
Don't be Skuuurrrdddd .....
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Got Retrofit?

Don't be Skuuurrrdddd
More lazy than scared lol And I don't know if I can do both the axle and wheel bearing in four hours.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Whatchyou say?

heheheheheehhe

it could be done .... if you had some help maybe. I can do both axles (on a lift with air / power tools) in like 30 min's. But ... i've done a FEW! And I totally understand the lazy part, hell .... it's my middle name!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Drivers side axle would be an extra 5 minutes on top of replacing the bearing. The bearing I could probably do again in two hours or less.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Got Retrofit?

For those with Raxles:

Did yours come with a cotter pin? I see the new nut in here but no pin. I figured it would've came with one.

I must say, this thing is beautiful. Very solid piece. You can just tell it's super high quality.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM

For those with Raxles:

Did yours come with a cotter pin? I see the new nut in here but no pin. I figured it would've came with one.

I must say, this thing is beautiful. Very solid piece. You can just tell it's super high quality.
No mine didnt. I also reused the washer like piece that is used with the cotter pin to retain axle nut. Don't know what its called, equivalent to castle nut.

Quick Reply: Who has Raxles? Issues?