4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Making cigar lighter permanently on

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM
100% chingon

Making cigar lighter permanently on

It's fuse #6, right? Can I just jumper the hot side to a permanent source of 12V? Or will that route power back through the ignition switch to other circuits? Has anyone done this?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:13 PM

why do you want to do this?? so you can use it for something else??? just curious.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 PM

would probably be a fire hazard...
Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
would probably be a fire hazard...
Why? Some newer cars come from the factory with this.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM

wouldnt having it glowing red hot constantly just build a crapload of heat and melt the plastic around it?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
wouldnt having it glowing red hot constantly just build a crapload of heat and melt the plastic around it?
LMAO, yes it would.
But what he means is to keep the circuit on, not the cigarette lighter coil.
So he could charge a cell phone or something while the car is off.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 PM

I think hes tryin to make an aux plug...lil does he realize...you plug something in...it will get power LOL
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM

hell i thought it was to keep the actual lighter red hot all the time and i couldnt figure out WTF why
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
I think hes tryin to make an aux plug...lil does he realize...you plug something in...it will get power LOL
My 96 lighter comes on with ignition. I would also like it always on for cell phone charging.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
My 96 lighter comes on with ignition. I would also like it always on for cell phone charging.
i think our cars are too old and would fry the ecu if we tried this.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 AM

Just a thought....couldnt u just take the wires coming off the cigarette lighter...probe the hot and neg...then splice into either A) and already existing 12v+ (like stereo wire etc...) or B) route your own 12v+ with an inline fuse from the battery and use a body ground....

I personally like option b because you can use whatever guage wire you want so the power draw wont burn up factory wires and u can still maintain a fuse for it....like if you want to install and auxilary power port or power inverter that would draw more power than ur everyday cell phone charger......

Heck i might just do that for the hell of it.....
Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Boothers96
Just a thought....couldnt u just take the wires coming off the cigarette lighter...probe the hot and neg...then splice into either A) and already existing 12v+ (like stereo wire etc...) or B) route your own 12v+ with an inline fuse from the battery and use a body ground....

I personally like option b because you can use whatever guage wire you want so the power draw wont burn up factory wires and u can still maintain a fuse for it....like if you want to install and auxilary power port or power inverter that would draw more power than ur everyday cell phone charger......

Heck i might just do that for the hell of it.....
if you do i want to see a write up with pics as im interested myself.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
if you do i want to see a write up with pics as im interested myself.
Dibs....im on it lol...but seriously though i will...
Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Congratulations you just did it all completely wrong. Yes it works but its the sloppiest thing I have ever seen as a DIY.

Never run wires through the door jam. Looks like **** and can short out.
Never run wires off the batter without fusing them. If you get a short youll get a fire.
Never wrap bare wire around terminals or for chassis ground. Its not going to last and will come undone.

All you had to do was cut the orange/black wire, and extend it to the fuse box or ignition wires. There are plenty of places to tap constant power from in those areas. Just add and inline fuse near the source.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Congratulations you just did it all completely wrong. Yes it works but its the sloppiest thing I have ever seen as a DIY.

Never run wires through the door jam. Looks like **** and can short out.
Never run wires off the batter without fusing them. If you get a short youll get a fire.
Never wrap bare wire around terminals or for chassis ground. Its not going to last and will come undone.

All you had to do was cut the orange/black wire, and extend it to the fuse box or ignition wires. There are plenty of places to tap constant power from in those areas. Just add and inline fuse near the source.
Thanks for reading the part about it being a rudamentry mock up, and what I would've done with a permanent install.....I appreciate you basicly stating things I suggusted doing...like installing a fuse...soldering and splicing the wires....lastly the op wanted to know if this could b done, I showed/explained (yes, with reading) how to o so.....something u didn't do.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:29 AM
100% chingon

Wow, what a response.
Yes, the reason I want permanent power on the lighter socket is because I have a little FM radio device plugged in and every time it loses power it loses its settings which is a pain.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Boothers96
Thanks for reading the part about it being a rudamentry mock up, and what I would've done with a permanent install.....I appreciate you basicly stating things I suggusted doing...like installing a fuse...soldering and splicing the wires....lastly the op wanted to know if this could b done, I showed/explained (yes, with reading) how to o so.....something u didn't do.

Why spend the time "mocking up" something so half assed? It would have taken the same time to do it correctly. Why bother making a write up if it's a hack job? It's nice to know your red power wire, which I assume is for a car stereo, is just a mock up as well.

I did state how to do it. Just because I didnt tell you what wire to splice it's not good enough? This stuff is childs play.

Tell you what I will take pics of my cigarette lighter install. Actually I won't because there is a special fuse tap in there that could confuse you.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JSutter

I cosign this post.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by clive
Wow, what a response.
Yes, the reason I want permanent power on the lighter socket is because I have a little FM radio device plugged in and every time it loses power it loses its settings which is a pain.
I'd always be worried about draining down the battery if it sat long enough, especially with the cold winters here. If the unit is off, though, and it just needs a tiny bit of power to keep its memory, it might not be an issue. With something like that, it probably wouldn't even draw enough when on to make a difference, but it's worth keeping in mind.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 PM
100% chingon

Here's what I did. It's a bit ghetto but it's not nearly as much so as that other method.
All that you need to do is put a thin single-core wire (it's only capable of 10A maximum, anyway) down the left leg of the top fuse and then to the left leg of the cigar lighter fuse. I used the LEFT side because that keeps the fuse in the circuit.
It works.

I'll simply unplug the device from the lighter socket if I'm going to leave the car standing for more than a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails Making cigar lighter permanently on-bodge.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Ok, that is a little ghetto, but completely reversible. And yes, there is a need for this, especially if you've driven US cars which have the lighter unswitched.

Not too long ago I was at some offsite meetings and my phone ran dry. No problem, I thought, I'll just put it in the car in the parking garage while I am in my next meeting and it will charge.

Wrong. I actually considered leaving it idling, locked, in the garage and using the remote to unlock it after the meeting, but the doors wouldn't lock while it was running.

Oh well.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good, quick fix!

Originally Posted by clive
Here's what I did. It's a bit ghetto but it's not nearly as much so as that other method.
All that you need to do is put a thin single-core wire (it's only capable of 10A maximum, anyway) down the left leg of the top fuse and then to the left leg of the cigar lighter fuse. I used the LEFT side because that keeps the fuse in the circuit.
It works.

I'll simply unplug the device from the lighter socket if I'm going to leave the car standing for more than a day or two.

I used this little hack, and it's quick, easy, and it works great! You can also use your windshield wipers without turning the key to ON or ACC!