4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What speakers should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM

Upgrading sound system - what speakers to get?

Hey guys, I have a 97 Max without the bose system. Stock speakers with after market Pioneer double din head unit.

I want to get new speakers for the car..front and rear.

I was looking at Polk DXI 6500 component for front and DXI 650s for the back. I plan on getting a small amp.

I wanted to get the top of the line Polk MM651's but Crutchfield said they won't fit as their is a clearance issue with the speaker grills (tweeter sticks out). Polks site says they WILL fit though...who to believe?

Any recommendations would be awesome. I'm interested to hear what speaker/amp you guys are are using....as I want to make sure it'll all fit in the Max. Thanks.

Last edited by Chrono; 07-17-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chrono
Hey guys, I have a 97 Max without the bose system. Stock speakers with after market Pioneer double din head unit.

I want to get new speakers for the car..front and rear.

I was looking at Polk DXI 6500 component for front and DXI 650s for the back. I plan on getting a small amp.

I wanted to get the top of the line Polk MM651's but Crutchfield said they won't fit as their is a clearance issue with the speaker grills (tweeter sticks out). Polks site says they WILL fit though...who to believe?

Any recommendations would be awesome. I'm interested to hear what speaker/amp you guys are are using....as I want to make sure it'll all fit in the Max. Thanks.
The MM sound amazing, and I'm not too sure, I was able to get them to fit in my buddy's 08 G35. But with the MM they cost a lot more and you'll need a pretty solid amp to power those monsters. And IIRC, they operate at 2.7 ohms?

The DXI's will be a great setup that you can put an amp on and will sound great without breaking the bank.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Here's the thing...I can get the MM6501 (front component) for 190, and the DXI is 200..lol. So less money for a better speaker.

I can get the rear MM651 for $120. The DXI 650 for the back are 100. $20 more for the MM's. The DXI will be easier to power though as I can just use the mini Alpine amp that came out recently and not have to wire a big amp in the trunk.

Any more advice is appreciated, I'll be making a decision soon
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM

whoa, i've gotten those DB components for like 120. Also, the Polk DB are the same speaker as the DXI, I've read that the DXI was just a line for Best Buy which just appear different. I can vouch for the DBs. You can get the fronts for 110, and rears for 60 on Amazon.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Where are you getting your prices from?

Last edited by djkevinnn; 07-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Hmm..I just wish best buy charged less for install, they want 99 to install front components and 75 to install back coaxial..seems high to me.

Gonna go to the store, back later

Last edited by Chrono; 07-17-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Cant go wrong with polk speakers. I would go with components or you will regret it. MB Quart has affordable options now if you want to venture more towards the higher end
Old 07-17-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chrono
Hmm..I just wish best buy charged less for install, they want 99 to install front components and 75 to install back coaxial..seems high to me.

Gonna go to the store, back later
Dude, do it yourself, it isn't that hard. Removing the door panel is the PITA part. But that's what the FSM is for
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Cant go wrong with polk speakers. I would go with components or you will regret it. MB Quart has affordable options now if you want to venture more towards the higher end
Yup the ones I mentioned are components w/tweeters and a set of coaxials for the rear deck. I have YK580's on my Max, they're great but expensive - was my birthday present

Anyways...back from the store...and holy crap the employees get an awesome discount, I couldn't believe the price they could buy the speakers at. You can guess where this is going

Last edited by Chrono; 07-17-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have the kicker speakers in my 99 and they sound amazing. i also have the kicker ZX300 Amp in my trunk with two 12's
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by hypnotik
i have the kicker speakers in my 99 and they sound amazing. i also have the kicker ZX300 Amp in my trunk with two 12's

cool, do you have the model numbers of speakers? (front and rear) I wanna check em out

How the bass on them?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 PM

Polk is good for sure but shop around and go to some smaller shops to check out speakers....i run memphis in mine and they are great for mids and highs as they have the tweeter built in to them, bass on them is weak but if your not looking for bass or plan on doing subs then check them out...memphis also makes good subs
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Hybrid Audio. They've been taking the mobile audio scene by storm over the last 5+ years. Here's a copy-paste from their website.

Our first opportunity to evaluate and "prove" our designs was at the 2005 IASCA® World Finals, where the first two Hybrid Audio Technologies-equipped vehicles competed with prototype speakers. Both vehicles went on to win World Championship honors in their respective classes, one of which had the highest sound quality score of that Championship event. These results have been backed up every year since; the wins and placements have expanded to multiple organizations, and in various parts of the world. In fact, in March 2011, for the sixth year in a row, competitors using Hybrid Audio product outright dominated the competition at the IASCA North American Championships, winning multiple classes as well as winning North America's most difficult class (Expert Ultimate) by the highest score ever recorded in IASCA's 21-year history. Yes, you read right, the highest scoring car in any format, in any part of the world uses Hybrid Audio Technologies products exclusively.

Hybrid Audio-equipped vehicles have won more IASCA® North American Championships and IASCA® World Championships since 2006 than all other front-stage speaker manufacturers combined.