4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Broken Bolts In Foglights. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Broken Bolts In Foglights. Help.

Hey guys, I recently got my Maxima and both of the foglights were out so I decided to swap the bulbs.

I followed the directions on how to remove the assembly, but since shes so rusty all of the heads on the bolts broke off. Any idea how to get those out or a shop that will be able to get those out? No shop around me, is willing to do it.

I was thinking of swapping the entire bracket, but the set is about $80 and the bolts that hold that bracket in are rusted to hell.

Heres a picture. Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Got Retrofit?

Why were you trying to remove the brackets to replace bulbs? It's just one 10mm bolt then the fog can be removed and the bulb can be replaced.

If you really want to replace the brackets, just drill those broken bolts out. I don't understand why a shop can't do it.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Why were you trying to remove the brackets to replace bulbs? It's just one 10mm bolt then the fog can be removed and the bulb can be replaced.

If you really want to replace the brackets, just drill those broken bolts out. I don't understand why a shop can't do it.
Hey man, sorry if i wasn't clear.

Basically, I have a 97 so theres two bolts that hold the assembly in. Those two are the bolts that i broke off.

The whole thing with the brackets was to swap them out completely so, i wouldn't have to worry about the bolts that I broke off.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 PM

i did the same on my 99 now i just have them held on by zip ties. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes
Old 05-30-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBLACKmax
i did the same on my 99 now i just have them held on by zip ties. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes

yeah i was thinking it would come to that. I tried looking around the bracket to see where I could zip-tie it. Mind putting up a picture or telling me where you zip-tied it.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM

1. bend the tabs out a little 2. get a small vice grip 3. get some penetrating oil & spray those rusty studs left in the holes 4. use the vice grip grab & lock the back of the now stud turn it back & forth till it gets lose and unscrew it.

Or bring it to me and $40 bucks and I will do this first^ if i cant extract them that way I will drill and tap it out & give you 2 new bolts.

I also have non rusted fog light brackets for a 97 with bolts FS $25 PU. lol.just saying, Good luck
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Gram Lights addict

drill them out.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Max139617
Hey guys, I recently got my Maxima and both of the foglights were out so I decided to swap the bulbs.

I followed the directions on how to remove the assembly, but since shes so rusty all of the heads on the bolts broke off. Any idea how to get those out or a shop that will be able to get those out? No shop around me, is willing to do it.

I was thinking of swapping the entire bracket, but the set is about $80 and the bolts that hold that bracket in are rusted to hell.

Heres a picture. Thanks

Get a vice grip and a small torch from depot. heat the side you have access to and twist with the vice grips and it should come loose. I think the right way to do it is to remove the bumper support from the car. It makes it easier to work on.

Last edited by benjie; 05-31-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by benjie
Get a vice grip and a small torch from depot. heat the side you have access to and twist with the vice grips and it should come loose. I think the right way to do it is to remove the bumper support from the car. It makes it easier to work on.
really? all that work?

just drill them out and get new bolts
Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ES_Kev
really? all that work?

just drill them out and get new bolts
Let's see you drill them out from the tight space without bending the thin metal as you press to drill it out. If you can get sharp enough bit in there and centered to drill it out then good for you. It's not as easy on the floor. To the OP, if you have no experience with drilling and centering a bit to remove a broken bolt, the long way will leave you with less pain. If you still want them drilled out, the fact that no one is willing to touch them should say something. If you want to drill them out, you will have to remove the bracket from the bumper support and take them to a machine shop. More than likely though, if you try to remove the bracket, the head of the bolt will probably snap off too. Try soaking it in penetrating oil before you attempt it. I really see no extremely easy answer to your problem.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by benjie
Let's see you drill them out from the tight space without bending the thin metal as you press to drill it out. If you can get sharp enough bit in there and centered to drill it out then good for you. It's not as easy on the floor. To the OP, if you have no experience with drilling and centering a bit to remove a broken bolt, the long way will leave you with less pain. If you still want them drilled out, the fact that no one is willing to touch them should say something. If you want to drill them out, you will have to remove the bracket from the bumper support and take them to a machine shop. More than likely though, if you try to remove the bracket, the head of the bolt will probably snap off too. Try soaking it in penetrating oil before you attempt it. I really see no extremely easy answer to your problem.
This is just brutal..

So your suggestion is, instead of drilling them out (since its so difficult), he should go out and buy a torch and vice grips? Take the bumper support off? Take it to a machine shop? All this for broken fog light bolts?

Anyone with common sense has the answer: drill them out. Get a small bit and drill the bolt into pieces. It really is that simple, and ive done it in this exact situation.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 AM

Naturally, since all of our cars turn into potato chips within seconds of owning them, we have all experienced this problem. I ran into this problem too. I ripped out the old brackets, threw them in the trash, cleaned up the area around it all, put acid paint on the horribly corroded metal to protect it a bit, drilled out the broken bolt, slabbered tons of anti-seize on some stainless allen screws, and done... and never dealing with that problem (there) again.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM

Just wanted to update you guys on the .org

I couldn't get them out the way Kico told me to do it so I was about to give up and go to the shop to get them out, but a friend of mine told me to heat it up first with a Torch and then go to town with them.

So I modified Kico's directions and here they are : Spray the living hell out of those bolts with penetrating fluid, bend the tabs out a little, and went to work with the torch till the broken bolt was glowing red hot. Then using a pair of vice grips I twisted them out from the back.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who tried to help out. And if you ever need to do this, be EXTREMELY careful when using a torch.

Heres how she looks now with the fogs on.