4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How long can I drive with a torn inner tie rod boot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM

How long can I drive with a torn inner tie rod boot.

Hi fellas,

So I did the front suspension today, tokico blues, end links, sway bar bushings.

I noticed one of the boots of the inner tie rod is pierced. It LOOKS good, wasn't flopping around, but when I took a closer look there was a tare.

TWO questions:

1) When I replace the boot, if I measure the distance the inner tie rod thread protrudes out of the outer tie rod, as well as keep same the length of the two when reinstalling, will I be able to maintain alignment and not have to have the car re-aligned?

2) How long can I drive with a torn boot, without causing serious damage?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why would you replace the boot and not the outer tie rod itself? It's not that expensive to buy and then you know that if there was any damage done that its not going to affect anything now.. You never know when the tie rods are going to let go and drop your wheel lol.. Be on the safe side and replace the tie rod end and get the toe adjusted !
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 PM

There's no need to replace the boots. Its to protect debris and water from going in there but if you are living in an area with those conditions, then change it to extend the life of your inner tie rod.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why did I say anything about the outer lol I was not thinking I guess. Yes if the boots are torn I would just replace it. But thats just me
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM

I didn't know that you could get the boot by itself. I always thought it was part of the tie tod end.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Replace it soon. You don't want moisture and other contaminants in your rack.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 PM

1) When you remove the tie rods, yes you can keep from having to get an alignment if you keep track of how many rotations it completes in removal, and then do the same amount when re-installing.

2) You can drive on it for awhile but here's the deal. The boot's entire purpose is to retain grease on the joint while protecting it from debris that will shorten it's lifespan. You would be very surprised how damaging water and road dust can be, as well has how well it can get small places, like tears.

3) If you're going to be replacing the boot alone, watch this: http://youtu.be/5MJOtr-vj6M

4) You just replaced your suspension and 2/3 of your steering joints, it is in your best interest to get an alignment done asap.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by thedwyer00
4) You just replaced your suspension and 2/3 of your steering joints, it is in your best interest to get an alignment done asap.
:spring:

I find it hard to believe that people don't see the need to have the alignment checked after replacing major suspension components.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Good info thanks, but I have another question.

I'll probably end up replacing inner tie rods, boots, and outer tie rods. And follow that up with an alignment given that I just did the front suspension.

If I change the lower control arms in a month or so, will that also require an alignment if I don't touch the rest of the steering components? Or is that pretty much guaranteed to necessitate an alignment again.

I just can't do it all at once for financial reasons - as pathetic as that is.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by thedwyer00
1)

3) If you're going to be replacing the boot alone, watch this: http://youtu.be/5MJOtr-vj6M

Great Video. I wish I had that tool for removing the tie rod, but that won't happen LOL.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:14 PM

An alignment on our cars is kind of a joke lol the only thing you adjust is the toe. But I would replace that boot because I caught mine too late and now it creaks as I turn. I have to replace my ball joints and steering rack because of torn boots caught too late. To answer your question, you can go as long as you want but noises will develop as they have on mine and it gets annoying.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM

You said inner boot right, I had same issue. My boot was in bad shape though, not just a little tear. My inner tie rod was completly gone. the end was corroded and causing quite a bit of shake at speed. I live in Atlanta, so I don't get salt and snow exposure, but it still went bad.

The moog tie rod wa about $50 and the boot is dealer only and it was about $27. If you are going totake the time to do the boot, you should definitely do the inner tie rod too.

I woudl be a good idea to do it, because it will eventually go bad. I can't say how long though, I could have been going a long time with my torn boot.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by atriuum
Good info thanks, but I have another question.

I'll probably end up replacing inner tie rods, boots, and outer tie rods. And follow that up with an alignment given that I just did the front suspension.

If I change the lower control arms in a month or so, will that also require an alignment if I don't touch the rest of the steering components? Or is that pretty much guaranteed to necessitate an alignment again.

I just can't do it all at once for financial reasons - as pathetic as that is.
Get your alignment at Sears. It comes with a 6 Month Warranty. Change what you can, get the alignment, and then change the rest in a month and go back to sears and get an alignment again.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM

I recommend you change it ASAP or this will happen...

I didn't realize mine was broken until I changed my fuel filter. My PS rack was not damaged (at least I don't think it was) but I probably waited like 1 week after I noticed it to get parts and find the right time before I just gave it to a mechanic to repair.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM

You can do your own toe adjustment with a tape measure. My advice would be move the car back and forth between each adjustment to get accurate reading.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 PM

Interesting, I'll google that. How accurate is it?

Honestly, with those satellite dishes they stick on the wheels at the shop when doing alignments you'd think it's impossible to do in your driveway, but I would not be surprised if some simple applied algebra could get the job done.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM

JAmerican posted a good picture of this boot failure, you can see how the rack seal is unprotected from road grit, grime, and moisture.

As asand1 wrote above, replace it or have it replaced ASAP. Otherwise you risk damage to the steering rack seal. You do not want to have to replace the steering rack.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by iDuty
you can see how the rack seal is unprotected from road grit, grime, and moisture.
Actually there is no seal there, as the teeth cut into the rack would defeat the purpose. There is only a bushing, and that is what you want to keep clean.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I will replace it as soon as the parts arrive.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by atriuum
Great Video. I wish I had that tool for removing the tie rod, but that won't happen LOL.
Go to: Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, NAPA. They rent those one-time homeowner-use tools. Usually it's like $50 that you will get back once you return the tool.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Black Lion

Awesome video.. certainly makes it looks easy. One part I didnt see him do is apply grease inside the housing of the boot. I have to replace my inner boot anyone have any other tips doing this job?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM

look into why the boot iwas compromised, ie, was it torn or punctured by road debris, was it dry rotted or is the power steering rack seal on that side leaking the cuased the boot the fail? is it just one or both?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM

Just pay for the Alignment because you will never get a PERFECT Alignment by eye u can get damn close just not like their lazers do,and when u pay u get warranty and tire life and gas milege increase big time.

and my inner tie rod boot has been ripper for 2 years and about 4 months ago i tore it completely off so its all wide open for debree i been thru lots of water and debree at work. basicly you can go a long time with it torn just when u go to replace it clean all the road debree out real good and regrease everything and tighten the new dust boot up and you will be good.

idc about my boot being tore because my GF hit a curb hard and ruined my rack n pinion so it will be getting changed here soon i been putting it off way too long.