4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need info on how to rebuild power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM

need info on how to rebuild power steering pump

I have searched all over this site and have found a few threads about rebuilding or related pump issues but none have any useful info. and most just die off with no answer and our "How To" section has nothing on a rebuild or replacement, just replacement of the rack itself.

I have a 96 Maxima 5spd with 157k on the clock, the power steering pump is starting to make noise (moderate but constant "whirrrr") and is leaking.
I want to fix it and have two options, either replace it with an expensive ($175-ish) rebuilt unit or possibly take out mine and rebuild my own with a rebuild kit.

What I want to know is....with the pump already making a noise does it mean the pump is beyond a rebuild and just needs to be replaced or can it be rebuilt still, and if so how hard is it to do?

I do have quite a bit of mechanical experience with my cars but do need some help from any of you guys that have done this rebuild before.

I just had a new '99 SE rack put in with new tie rods and it feels great, but this is the current problem and the whole reason I'm bothering with it now is that I have to replace my lower crank pulley and if I have to go through the trouble of messing with the pump to get that belt off again I might as well replace it while I'm half way into the project.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Never heard of rebuilding a PS pump, and I went to school for it and worked in many shops. Have you actually found a rebuild kit for our pumps?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM

I guess you're not looking hard enough. I recently picked up a rebuilt power steering pump for $88 today.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Yes their is a rebuild kit for our pump, couple different companies actually, but the Gates one is about $22. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...-348413-638100

$88 is pretty good, as long as it's not on Ebay. Personally I like something that can be returned and another picked up quickly if their is a problem and I want my core back right away as well.

Somebody had to have rebuilt one or has some good knowledge on the steering pump, their is way to many Maximas on the road for this not to be a readdressed problem by now.l
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Take a look at car-part.com I looked at N Carolina and junkyard A grade pumps start at $23-25, and there are pile of them. I would prefer a new or rebuilt pump too, but for that price it is hard to beat. Me and a friend just did it on my Wife's '06 Altima 3.5L and it is a lot tougher than a Max as the engine bay on it makes the Maxima's look like a cavern.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Take one from a low mileage 01 and be done with it....that's what I did with $50.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM

I picked up a rebuild kit from Nissan for a PS pump on a 240sx and rebuilt the pump for $14. It actually wasn't too difficult, just keep track of all the orings and make sure everything is very very clean.

So far, 10k miles and it seems to be great.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by carnalc30
I picked up a rebuild kit from Nissan for a PS pump on a 240sx and rebuilt the pump for $14. It actually wasn't too difficult, just keep track of all the orings and make sure everything is very very clean.

Really? If that's the case, I will see how much the 4th gen rebuild kit cost and do the one that wasn't working...
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by csam
Take a look at car-part.com I looked at N Carolina and junkyard A grade pumps start at $23-25, and there are pile of them. I would prefer a new or rebuilt pump too, but for that price it is hard to beat. Me and a friend just did it on my Wife's '06 Altima 3.5L and it is a lot tougher than a Max as the engine bay on it makes the Maxima's look like a cavern.
Thought about this already since it generally is the "go to" way of getting OEM parts cheap. Only problem is that alot of the cars they came off of have high mileage and it's only a matter of time until it also fails....I don't want to go back in there again once this is done, it sucks...LOL!

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Take one from a low mileage 01 and be done with it....that's what I did with $50.
Finding an '01 Maxima is like a needle in a haystack around here and most local yards that do have Maxima's have been picked clean, it's hard to find anything useful left on them, but it also leads back to the problem listed above as well.

I'm just trying to find someone that has done it already with the Maxima pump, it sounds like a good way to go to keep cost down and have a newly rebuilt pump.

The one possible problem of course would be that you rebuild it, install it, and find it still makes noise...but if it doesn't leak it may have to be good enough.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by back2basics
Finding an '01 Maxima is like a needle in a haystack around here and most local yards that do have Maxima's have been picked clean, it's hard to find anything useful left on them, but it also leads back to the problem listed above as well.

I'm just trying to find someone that has done it already with the Maxima pump, it sounds like a good way to go to keep cost down and have a newly rebuilt pump.

The one possible problem of course would be that you rebuild it, install it, and find it still makes noise...but if it doesn't leak it may have to be good enough.
But the kit that OEM has isn't it just for seals if its leaking? Mine was making a noise but never leaked. Not sure if that is what we really need to address.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM

But the kit that OEM has isn't it just for seals if its leaking? Mine was making a noise but never leaked. Not sure if that is what we really need to address.
I know what ya mean, that's my concern as well.

Since money is a concern right now, I'm going to take your advice and get a 2001 maxima pump close to my house for $50, it comes with a 30 day warranty.

Keep in mind, these kind of problems can happen with a rebuilt pump from your local auto parts store as well, so it's worth a chance.

Last edited by back2basics; 04-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Mine is currently squeaking as well and hoses are leaking. Just not sure what the best route is to go as yet...which is why the repairs haven't been done.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Snypa
Mine is currently squeaking as well and hoses are leaking. Just not sure what the best route is to go as yet...which is why the repairs haven't been done.
Man, you know I been guiding you to your best solution. Replace the hose that I told you to get...by the way, did you get it from ebay when you showed me? Also, get a later model 01 pump and put it in there.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Why are people stating o get one from an 01... is there a difference?? Sorry for noobish question
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Why are people stating o get one from an 01... is there a difference?? Sorry for noobish question
I just stated to get one from an 01 seeing that was the last compatibe year and should be able to find some low mileage ones. Also, the maker may have updated the internals some 5 years later.... The one I have is smooth as butter. Even when you lock all the way, you don't hear the pump at all.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 PM

I thought I had one lined up, but I found that when they tell you "Yeh, I got a pump from an '01 Maxima", what they really mean is that they have a high mileage pump from a '95-'96.
Their computer is telling them it's cross compatible so their goes yer $50 down the crapper.
I'm going to keep checking some other yards before giving up on that route, but I need it by this weekend and I'm running out of time.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM

I just stated to get one from an 01 seeing that was the last compatibe year and should be able to find some low mileage ones. Also, the maker may have updated the internals some 5 years later.... The one I have is smooth as butter. Even when you lock all the way, you don't hear the pump at all.
Yeah...king of procrastination and no time to do sheeeit right here. Bro...where did you get your pump from though? I wanna do all at once and never look back.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Yeah...king of procrastination and no time to do sheeeit right here. Bro...where did you get your pump from though? I wanna do all at once and never look back.
I got it from ebay surprisingly but I am suppose to go to PA soon to a pick and pull yard. If you don't find one by the time I go, I will pull out two and let you know.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM

^^ ok, appreciate. But...there's lots of pull yards here in FL. I just wouldn't know if im pulling crap or not. I would also hate to install, have issues and have to redo. This is why i haven't done the job as yet....cause I'm unsure what route to go.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Look at it this way, dealer does the last service at 60K so if you get one at 120 - 130K, chances are the pump is good.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM

Look at it this way, dealer does the last service at 60K so if you get one at 120 - 130K, chances are the pump is good.
hmm,ok. and as ususal we go oem over anything else...even if its used or watever right?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by carnalc30

Originally Posted by csam
Originally Posted by Metallica
I guess you're not looking hard enough. I recently picked up a rebuilt power steering pump for $88 today.
Originally Posted by asand1
Never heard of rebuilding a PS pump, and I went to school for it and worked in many shops. Have you actually found a rebuild kit for our pumps?

All this.

Me personally man, fawk a rebuild, give me brand new or junkyard replacement part.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM

hmm,ok. and as ususal we go oem over anything else...even if its used or watever right?
By all means, DO NOT GET AFTERMARKET!!! Apparently, a lot of people with these cars got them and they worked for a month or so and them the humming starts back. If you don't know how to verify its OEM, look in between the pulley and the pump itself. It will have a blue and silver sticker on it. If its not there, its NON-OEM rebuilt.

Last edited by Trini Boom; 05-03-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 PM

By all means, DO NOT GET AFTERMARKET!!! Apparently, a lot of people with these cars got them and they worked for a month or so and them the humming starts back. If you don't know how to verify its OEM, look in between the pulley and the pump itself. It will have a blue ans silver sticker on it. If its not there, its NON-OEM rebuilt.
well...keep me posted.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
All this.

Me personally man, fawk a rebuild, give me brand new or junkyard replacement part.
I dislike rebuilds, But I put in a rebuilt Mavel brand pump in my I30 and 2 years later it's holding up. The cost was about $150

For the 240sx I picked up the rebuild kit (I believe it was only $21) fixed the leaky pump and it's running strong.

Junkyard parts make me nervous because you really don't know the history on the car, how long it will last, or even if the mileage the yard claims is correct.

Next plan is a rebuild kit for the steering rack and pump on my other I30
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Well, I log onto the org for the first time in over a month today, looking for a thread about power steering pump rebuilding, and I find this on the main page... Just ordered my PS pump rebuild kit from autozone for $28, and it should be in my hands by tomorrow. I will write up a thread on how to rebuild the pump and see how well the kit works, since this seems to be a popular topic.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 PM

I look forward to seeing how it works out. I decided to go with a rebuilt pump.

My main reason for getting an OEM rebuilt pump was the "noise", everyone seemed to be on the same page that it would not get rid of the noise, just the leaking and I didn't have time for switching out an old pump with another old pump, especially considering what an itchbay this job is to do.

It's been in for a couple months and is working great overall but oddly it seems kinda loud at start up but then quiets down after it runs for a little...weird.

I did notice a definite difference between my old pump and the new one. They obviously came from different years as the valving was completely different between the two.

Somehow I got lucky and got a 2001 style pump apparently because the heft in the steering is obvious and the steering is not as nervous as it was, now having a more heavy and deliberate action to it, much nicer to drive.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by back2basics
I look forward to seeing how it works out. I decided to go with a rebuilt pump.

My main reason for getting an OEM rebuilt pump was the "noise", everyone seemed to be on the same page that it would not get rid of the noise, just the leaking and I didn't have time for switching out an old pump with another old pump, especially considering what an itchbay this job is to do.

It's been in for a couple months and is working great overall but oddly it seems kinda loud at start up but then quiets down after it runs for a little...weird.

I did notice a definite difference between my old pump and the new one. They obviously came from different years as the valving was completely different between the two.

Somehow I got lucky and got a 2001 style pump apparently because the heft in the steering is obvious and the steering is not as nervous as it was, now having a more heavy and deliberate action to it, much nicer to drive.
With all this talk of the 2001 pump and the extra boost given to the steering feel I'm starting to get jealous haha. My pump is just leaking, not making noise, which is surprising since my car has 223k on it. If you pump is making noise not only would I obviously check the level of the fluid, but also the tension of the pump belt. if its too tight you could be wearing out the bearings inside and as they become warm and lubricated from the fluid the noise stops. Yes I completely agree... for the love of God, I have no idea why someone would switch out a used part another used part lol, especially with all the labor that goes into a power steering pump. I can understand if its something that you can't buy new anymore, like an engine or transmission, but for something like a power steering pump, your just creating more work for yourself down the road by installing a used one.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 PM

I set the belt tension as the manual said to do by checking the deflection, so I don't think their is a problem their and the fluid is at the "max" indication level so that is good as well, I will look at the belt tomorrow just to be sure.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:27 PM

is that bad? my 01 pissed oil all over the other night and my dad thinks it's the pump (he is an experienced mechanic), i tend to turn the wheel all the way till stops because of the way my drive was is + i'm a new driver. i was told turning it till it's stops and holding it there is bad.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
is that bad? my 01 pissed oil all over the other night and my dad thinks it's the pump (he is an experienced mechanic), i tend to turn the wheel all the way till stops because of the way my drive was is + i'm a new driver. i was told turning it till it's stops and holding it there is bad.
For an extended period of time, it is bad to hold it.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:43 PM

how extended? a few seconds or a few minutes?

does any one know if the 2001 or if any or all 5th gens have a high rpm cut out on/in the Power Steering Pump.

i've been looking at this, while not a nissan pump, just to get an idea of what i'd be looking at to rebuild the psp.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
how extended? a few seconds or a few minutes?

does any one know if the 2001 or if any or all 5th gens have a high rpm cut out on/in the Power Steering Pump.

i've been looking at this, while not a nissan pump, just to get an idea of what i'd be looking at to rebuild the psp.
Over 15 seconds is bad. I do not know of any cut out on the PS Pump.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM

since this thread is still going i figured i would update.

It's been over a year since the install of the rebuilt pump I bought and it's going strong, no leaks and no noise. The original reason it had more noise than it should was due to a hair too much tension on the belt, I adjusted it a tad and it has been great since (although admittedly it will give a quick 1-2 second squeal on damp mornings but nothing continuous).

The pump has an outstanding feel and has made the steering so much tighter and more predictable.

The only other continuing issue I had was a vertically shaking steering wheel that seemed to shake over just about anything but roughly laid concrete was particularly annoying as it would shake up and down endlessly until you finally reached smooth pavement again.

I came up with an idea and it worked! Under the dash on the steering column is two sets of studs with nuts. I removed the lower ones and placed two red rubber bushings in their that I had leftover from a cheap rubber battery strap i bought for my old '84 datsun 4x4, the bushings are red and come in the kit and turned out to be ideal for this application.

Once placed on the stud (under the column mounting bracket) and then tightened down to the point of having a little rubber push out the sides of the bracket I tested it....amazingly their is little vibration going up the shaft now and the feeling is night and day, one of the best mods i've done!!

I tried to use stabilizer end link bushings since they were firmer but they allowed more shaking to pass. I also tried placing bushings on the top two studs closest to the wheel and the lower ones closer to the firewall but that just shook and felt disconnected, you really have to keep the top ones firmly mounted and the lowers can dampen the vibrations.

Here is a link to the battery kit, they sell it at AutoZone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=95989_0_0_

It only costs $4.99 and for the overall result i got, that is money well spent.