4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bitten by the mod bug.... any cures?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxman1988
personally, my experience with these struts/springs, wasnt good. i got them in my old max and my handling got worse than the stock ones that were shot. only two weeks into having them, i lost control on a real easy turn and lost it. max burned up in a firey crash . with my new max im gonna go all out and find some good coilovers. idk if i just had a defective set or if my mechanic just did a bad job or somthing, but thats just my outlook on tokico hp

I have NEVER heard of that happening before. Who are you, anyhow...Morgan Freeman??

And I'm thinking Illuminas anyhow...I like the adjustability factor
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxman1988
personally, my experience with these struts/springs, wasnt good. i got them in my old max and my handling got worse than the stock ones that were shot. only two weeks into having them, i lost control on a real easy turn and lost it. max burned up in a firey crash . with my new max im gonna go all out and find some good coilovers. idk if i just had a defective set or if my mechanic just did a bad job or somthing, but thats just my outlook on tokico hp

I bet you had an RSB in your setup. RSBs are good for stock suspension. When lowered, not needed.

Lowered with RSB can get dangerous.

I had an RSB with H&Rs and Tokico in my previous Maxima. The tail was mad loose. Oversteer at will and sometimes un controllable on the street. I dialed it back, but still.

I have H&Rs and KYBGR2s on my I30 now and I aint even thinking about the RSB this time around.

One thing most people don't realize is that there is an OEM RSB inside the multi-link beam suspension.

Last edited by dwapenyi; 12-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I bet you had an RSB in your setup. RSBs are good for stock suspension. When lowered, not needed.

Lowered with RSB can get dangerous.

I had an RSB with H&Rs and Tokico in my previous Maxima. The tail was mad loose. Oversteer at will and sometimes un controllable on the street. I dialed it back, but still.

I have H&Rs and KYBGR2s on my I30 now and I aint even thinking about the RSB this time around.

One thing most people don't realize is that there is an OEM RSB inside the multi-link beam suspension.
I have an RSB right now...If I go with the Illumina kit or Illuminas/H&Rs, would I want to get rid of the RSB, or just move the trailing brackets back so the RSB doesn't have as much impact? Or would I soften the illuminas a bit to compromise?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Hold out for coilovers. You'll want them later anyway. Drop springs will make you realize this even more. I think the stock 5 spoke aluminum rims are nice. I'd keep them, get good tires which you already have, get hawk hps brake pads, better brake fluid, do a flush makes sure the fluid is clean in the reservoir and in the lines. Warpspeed y-pipe, hi-flow cat, cat-back. 00VI "full" swap, vafc2 then get it tuned once. Just read some more of your thread and realized you have an automatic. Look up the DR mod. It doesn't turn your trans into a manual but for what it does, it does it very well.

Last edited by Quickywd01; 12-19-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01

fixed
Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
I have an RSB right now...If I go with the Illumina kit or Illuminas/H&Rs, would I want to get rid of the RSB, or just move the trailing brackets back so the RSB doesn't have as much impact? Or would I soften the illuminas a bit to compromise?
I would strongly suggest that you take it off. See how the car handles lowered. Just the drop and stiffness will transform your car's handling compared to OEM. The RSB will be easy to put it back on anyway if you need to afterwards.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I would strongly suggest that you take it off. See how the car handles lowered. Just the drop and stiffness will transform your car's handling compared to OEM. The RSB will be easy to put it back on anyway if you need to afterwards.
True enough. Besides, I need shorter U bolts anyhow, so that would work
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM

If you have to replace the sruts anyway, I would second the motion to move over to coilovers.
I have Eibach springs with KYB GR2 and the ride is great, nice moderate drop, and much improved handling, but no ability to adjust height or stiffness like coilovers.

I plan on going to coilovers later, but not for a while, they will run me about $1800 for the set i want.

As far as the RSB goes, I have one on with my small drop and have never had the rear step out before the front pushes out (typical front drive response) and would love to have that rear a little more loose to help rotate around corners better.

If you do decide to switch wheels later, make sure you go to a properly designed wheel with the right offset in a 17" or 18" so that when you switch your brakes over to the 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers they ill fit without changing wheels again..trust me!

The y-pipe made my aftermarket exhaust sound like an old jeep. It gives definite improvement in response and power, but for me the sound just wrecked the experience and I took it back off for now. Some people don't give a crap and like it or just live with it, that will be your call of course since you have to deal with it.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Like I said, if I do any changes to wheels, it'll either be the OEM Indfiniti G35 6 spoke 17", OEM 2002-2003 Maxima SE 6 spoke 17", or OEM 350Z touring 18"s
Old 12-19-2012, 02:55 PM

fixed
Well then I'm outa here. Good luck modin your car for free. Welcome to reality, money. You either have it, or your don't. You either try to imitate and realize you've wasted your money and it's not for you or you realize you wasted your money, it is for you, and now you need to buy the good stuff that you could have already had by now. Luckily for me I always wanted the good stuff, couldn't afford it and saved for it. If there's a will, there's a way. If you really want something for a reason, then you will make it happen. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Well then I'm outa here. Good luck modin your car for free. Welcome to reality, money. You either have it, or your don't. You either try to imitate and realize you've wasted your money and it's not for you or you realize you wasted your money, it is for you, and now you need to buy the good stuff that you could have already had by now. Luckily for me I always wanted to the good stuff, couldn't afford it and saved for it. If there's a will, there's a way. If you really want something for a reason, then you will make it happen. Good luck.

I know, I know

My mods are planned, and take some time, piece by piece. Doubt I will ever do 00VI, vafc2 or tune, honestly (because baby coming soon). But will look into the drop resistor mod though...haven't heard of that.

This is the first car I've ever actually modded (and I'm almost 30) so I may not (and likely will not) go for the higher-end go-fast racecacr stuff
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM

I know, I know

My mods are planned, and take some time, piece by piece. Doubt I will ever do 00VI, vafc2 or tune, honestly (because baby coming soon). But will look into the drop resistor mod though...haven't heard of that.

This is the first car I've ever actually modded (and I'm almost 30) so I may not (and likely will not) go for the higher-end go-fast racecacr stuff
I agree. If you have a baby on the way don't mod the car. Mods always have hidden catches that you need to research heavily so you can decide if it's something you can live with.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Yeah, the 350z tourings are the third choice...I prefer teh G35s or the 5.5gen 6 spokes Not sure the color of the TE wheels would go as well as the gray/silver stock, with my BT4 lakeshore blue

Welp, just bought a new Cattman Y pipe
wooot attaboy! i've been waiting for you to do a power mod lol. it'll be a great start! (if you don't get sucked in more lol)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 PM

lol my full LED interior IS a performance mod my man Ask anybody
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM

lol my full LED interior IS a performance mod my man Ask anybody
i'm actually very jealous of that! i'd love to do it but i avoid electrical work and i don't think i'd be very gentle with small plastic tabs lol. my top left corner light that lights up a few buttons on my bose is out led would've never gone out!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 AM

If you can find a working bose unit that'll fit your car here in the classifieds, have 'em ship it to me and I'll throw in some LEDs for you and ship it over to Ontario for you Figure about 60 bucks for the LEDs and shipping and you're good. Something to keep in mind
Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 AM

I will def keep that in mind. Come summer time I'll hit you up for a conversion, and maybe u could help me with led dashlight conversion too :P
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM

absolutely
Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks man. Chances are, realistically, I will be keeping the stock wheels. Maybe getting one extra so I can switch out my spare to a full-size.