4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting Issue, Possible Flywheel Alignment, Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Starting Issue, Possible Flywheel Alignment, Ideas?

Ever since I have purchased my 4th gen I have had a starting issue, if it cranks a little longer than normal starting, it sounds like the starter will catch or get stuck which will completely stop the engine from turning for a split second and cause a huge power drain, my thoughts from the starter being sucked of all its juice for that second.

its supercharged, and has a horrible tune with an exedy stage 2 clutch, and I believe a Fidanza flywheel. anyone seen this issue before, maybe something like a simple alignment issue possibly?

problem fixed, thanks to all the amazing people on this forum, here are some links that helped out a ton, while i was browsing some other peoples issues, it all led to the same thing

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...verything.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...21#post3906121

http://forums.maxima.org/6074815-post1.html

Last edited by NSMO240; 02-14-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lets see........ Have you tried changing the crank position sensor? Do you have any codes? Do know for sure if it has a Fidanza. I've known a few members to have issues with the Fidanza timing ring, but I think they were 6sp. swaps
Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 AM

horrible tune? are you the original owner or not? if not, ask the po if he had this happen to him.
start with the basics: ignition, fuel, compression all at the right time.
if you hit the starter with a mallet of some sort, does it start then?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by nsmo240
it sounds like the starter will catch or get stuck which will completely stop the engine from turning for a split second
This is exactly what my started did as it slowly died. My buddies I30 did the same exact thing as well.

Replace the starter, nothing wrong with your engine.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MAXC
Lets see........ Have you tried changing the crank position sensor? Do you have any codes? Do know for sure if it has a Fidanza. I've known a few members to have issues with the Fidanza timing ring, but I think they were 6sp. swaps
i havent, no codes as far as anything like this is concerned, map sensor solenoid code and a swirl control valve solenoid is all. i started getting a multiple misfire code recently after i replaced the crank pulley with a UR one, but the starting issue was way before that.

Originally Posted by 99zx2
horrible tune? are you the original owner or not? if not, ask the po if he had this happen to him.
start with the basics: ignition, fuel, compression all at the right time.
if you hit the starter with a mallet of some sort, does it start then?
no im not, i bought it like this, and have slowly been fixing issues as i go along. with the wideband it seems to run ok all except starting, its very rich when starting, but im not much good with the emanage blue so i need to have someone with experience with it check it out.

the starter never actually stops just gets stuck for a quick second, ill try and get a video with it doing it up at some point.

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
This is exactly what my started did as it slowly died. My buddies I30 did the same exact thing as well.

Replace the starter, nothing wrong with your engine.
i have another starter, but the starter is still going strong when the vehicle starts up normally its only when it floods out or cranks excessively that i have the issue.

I also have disconnected the fuel pump fuse and it still catches
Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 PM

does it also burp, pop and backfire? if so my vote is for bad grounds, worst is between the bell housing and tranny.

try cleaning ALL your grounds and adding a couple extra, especially 1 to a starter bolt and another to a tranny bolt.

there's a bunch of threads about it and people have had success by cleaning and adding ground wires.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Swazey
does it also burp, pop and backfire? if so my vote is for bad grounds, worst is between the bell housing and tranny.

try cleaning ALL your grounds and adding a couple extra, especially 1 to a starter bolt and another to a tranny bolt.

there's a bunch of threads about it and people have had success by cleaning and adding ground wires.
nope none of that, but i will see about adding some see what happens
Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 PM

throw a ground from the batt terminal to a bolt on the starter our transmissions pretty much ground through bell housing through the engine if the car has had a clutch job done and they didnt clean the mating surface it can cause a no start issue
another member had the same issue heres a vid of the car not startin and then one after addin the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDcMjiWaHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRTZsJvp7Ow

Last edited by luke95gxe; 02-10-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM

hmmm this could be a good possibility, i wonder if the bolts are even tight, some of the work on this car was not completely up to par so that may be an issue
Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 AM

take the starter out and see what's going on inside and with the starter as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 AM

bump this up as i found the issue thanks to some fellow members on here, and some searching that apparently i didnt do well enough the first time. although my issue was a little different, my ground wasnt only bad, it wasnt even hooked up to the engine. so thanks again fellas
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by NSMO240
bump this up as i found the issue thanks to some fellow members on here, and some searching that apparently i didnt do well enough the first time. although my issue was a little different, my ground wasnt only bad, it wasnt even hooked up to the engine. so thanks again fellas
nice. checking easy stuff first = win.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

yea definitely, those are my favorite problems, of course, if i were able to choose my problems.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Im going to bump this up as the issue came back, and even worse than before, I was even getting misfires when it would actually start, but after about 8 months of tinkering i finally figured it out. luke95gxe was right, but the ground strap that he was talking about didnt fix it.

I actually had to remove the transmission from the vehicle and grind down where the trans bell housing and the block mate with one another. when i was doing this i noticed a good bit of corrosion, at the top of the trans and block, where I am assuming the main ground actually runs, and now all of that is cleaned off. this thing fires up like im dreaming every time! it even runs better too! now i have a slightly low idle, but im sure that is because since there was never good contact there, it caused some issues with the readings the ECU was getting and the idle was compensated for that. this will be fixed shortly.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NSMO240
Im going to bump this up as the issue came back, and even worse than before, I was even getting misfires when it would actually start, but after about 8 months of tinkering i finally figured it out. luke95gxe was right, but the ground strap that he was talking about didnt fix it.

I actually had to remove the transmission from the vehicle and grind down where the trans bell housing and the block mate with one another. when i was doing this i noticed a good bit of corrosion, at the top of the trans and block, where I am assuming the main ground actually runs, and now all of that is cleaned off. this thing fires up like im dreaming every time! it even runs better too! now i have a slightly low idle, but im sure that is because since there was never good contact there, it caused some issues with the readings the ECU was getting and the idle was compensated for that. this will be fixed shortly.
I started doing the same thing with my last clutch change (and shortly thereafter new tranny).

I used a dremel with the soft copper brush attachment. It doesn't chew up the aluminum and gets corrosion and other crap off the surfaces.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
I started doing the same thing with my last clutch change (and shortly thereafter new tranny).

I used a dremel with the soft copper brush attachment. It doesn't chew up the aluminum and gets corrosion and other crap off the surfaces.
yea, i have these special 3m pads that works **** for stuff like this, i would recommend them to anyone, look just like this