4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warpspeed Y; Bee's in a can delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Warpspeed Y; Bee's in a can delete?

Is there anything that can be done to get rid of this god-awful sound?

Does a crappy, crush bent, restrictive exhaust make this worse?

Better yet, would a nice, high-flow, mandrel-bent exhaust do anything to calm these damn bee's down?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM

From what i've read in the past, the longest resonator possible helps quite a bit. The one's from Magnaflow seem the most popular.

Or another option would to be to turn up the volume on your stereo.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Schnell kaputt

Bad flex section. Replace it.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bonka
I bought this pipe about a month ago, it's been on for 3 weeks.
B!tch We Got a Problem

YUP

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
From what i've read in the past, the longest resonator possible helps quite a bit. The one's from Magnaflow seem the most popular.

Or another option would to be to turn up the volume on your stereo.
I'm planning on a new cat-back sometime in the near future, will take this into account, thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Replace flex I did a shorter one mine 3inch and have straight pipe back ill post a link to it or search on YouTube Linda Lohan maximal
Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Lindsay Lohan
Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
Replace flex I did a shorter one mine 3inch and have straight pipe back ill post a link to it or search on YouTube Linda Lohan maximal
So you guys are telling me that not only did I pay all this money for a stainless steel y-pipe from warpspeed that took forever to get here, plus they forgot to send my cat the first time and waited almost a week more to send that out, now I have to cut out the flex pipe and find someone to weld it?

Last edited by comingup; 02-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Have them send you another flex section, tell them it's defective.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Everyone on here has this problem from what I've read, what causes this? Surely they can't all be defective.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Originally Posted by comingup
Everyone on here has this problem from what I've read, what causes this? Surely they can't all be defective.
Bad batch of flex sections

Just call them up & tell them about your dilemma
Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gismo-T
Bad batch of flex sections

what classifies them as a bad flex? I have a budget Y. Inspected it a few times, looks perfectly fine.

I have the bees in a can in 1st gear. cattman exhaust, long resonator, long magnaflow 19'' muffler. 2.5'' piping, custom test pipe.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
what classifies them as a bad flex? I have a budget Y. Inspected it a few times, looks perfectly fine.

I have the bees in a can in 1st gear. cattman exhaust, long resonator, long magnaflow 19'' muffler. 2.5'' piping, custom test pipe.
He's got a Warpspeed, not Budget y.
I had a Budget y for 4yrs. no problems

I've just heard of bad batches of flexes, that's all.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM

I think he's just messing with me, insinuating I didn't use search or something. There isn't much to a flex-pipe. Should have made my own with a lined flex I suppose, just wanted to know if there was anything else I could do. Any gear under load; unless my intake overpowers the sound

Last edited by comingup; 02-08-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Schnell kaputt

Warpspeed and Stillen units had this problem before.

You can try wrapping the flex with exhaust wrap, but if you're in a wet climate I wouldn't recommend it and if Warpspeed won't do anything about it, either replace it or live with it :/
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Bees in a can? Would you guys classify or describe the noise as annoyingly loud exhaust drone?

If its coming from the y-pipe, then the flex section is either faulty or a bad design from the manufacturer.

Install an OEM flex and listen to the noise go away.

EDIT:

TBH, up here in MASS, loud exhaust is a no no. For this reason, i have yet to get a y-pipe.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 AM

I think thats the sound of the exhaust valves
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 AM

I had a warpspeed, sounded like an angry swarm of bees....

Exhaust leaks everywhere.

Loud as ch1t.

Performed like a champ though

Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM

as much as people will not agree with me - i think its because the y-pipe is un-equal length.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM

I have a stainless warpspeed y-pipe, cattman catback and testpipe. The cattman resonator went bad so I deleted it with a straight pipe, that was a mistake as it brought on the bees and raspyness. I later wrecked my flex section and replaced it with a new one that warpspeed sent me. No sound change between the two flexes, if any the new one was better. Got fed up of the ricer sound and welded in the longest magnaflow resonator I could find, Fixed the rasp and killed the bees. I suggest you try a new resonator.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM

Magnaflow is ideal for those who don't want to much noise but still want the performance. You never really know exactly how something will sound on your car until its installed. Ive never actually heard this "bees in a can" sound so commonly referred too. I have heard crappy exhaust nots from people simply putting a cheap muffler on the end of a stock header back. Its more of a hollow exhaust. Not a deep tone like it should be.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gismo-T
YUP
these are two BS assumptions...when i first did the warpspeed ypipe install on my car i had it straight piped to my cattman axleback...i had the bees in a can. what did i do? i purchased a cherry bomb resonator, got rid of it. get yourself a resonator...just a word of advice, cherry bomb will not last that long, but between the sound of hte cherry bomb and the magnaflow resonator, the cherry bomb sounded better. but i wanted longevity, so i replaced it w/ a magnaflow
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by joesae01max
as much as people will not agree with me - i think its because the y-pipe is un-equal length.
DING DING DING!

I had a WSP y-pipe on my car for something like 8 years and did everything imaginable to get rid of that rasp. First, I kept the stock cat-back. Still had rasp. Eventually got a Budget resonated b-pipe and 2k Max muffler, still had rasp. Replaced my straight pipe with a resonator, still had rasp. Replaced the frayed flex section on my WSP y pipe, still had rasp. Of all the things I did, replacing my test pipe with a Megan resonator made the biggest improvement. My flex section was pretty frayed on the inside, and I replaced it with the new-style WSP flex, but it made almost no difference.

But do you know what did fix it? Equal length Cattman headers. They are about 7 years old and the flex isn't prefect, but it isn't frayed on the inside, so I don't really care at this point. There is still a touch of rasp when going WOT, but there is NONE when letting off the gas at 4000+ rpm. Damn near perfect.

Want to get rid of your rasp? Buy that used Stillen equal length y pipe that just went up for sale or get some equal length headers!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
DING DING DING!

But do you know what did fix it? Equal length Cattman headers. They are about 7 years old and the flex isn't prefect, but it isn't frayed on the inside, so I don't really care at this point. There is still a touch of rasp when going WOT, but there is NONE when letting off the gas at 4000+ rpm. Damn near perfect.

Want to get rid of your rasp? Buy that used Stillen equal length y-pipe that just went up for sale or get some equal length headers!
So are we talking about unequal length headers or an unequal length Y-pipe? I see both mentioned interchangeably. Sounds like mixing apples and oranges.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
these are two BS assumptions...when i first did the warpspeed ypipe install on my car i had it straight piped to my cattman axleback...i had the bees in a can. what did i do? i purchased a cherry bomb resonator, got rid of it. get yourself a resonator...just a word of advice, cherry bomb will not last that long, but between the sound of hte cherry bomb and the magnaflow resonator, the cherry bomb sounded better. but i wanted longevity, so i replaced it w/ a magnaflow
The OP states he plans on getting a catback system for the car.

OP,

I assume you are stock other than the y-pipe. Is this correct?

EDIT:

If you dont have a resonator definitely get one installed, the longer the better

Last edited by cashoit; 02-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM

you are unsure yourself as to what he has...yet you reiterated what i just said...
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by larso1
So are we talking about unequal length headers or an unequal length Y-pipe? I see both mentioned interchangeably. Sounds like mixing apples and oranges.
I think anything unequal length will give you rasp.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM

well obviously not having any sort of resonator is gonna make the exhaust loud.

Once the entire setup is known then more insightful suggestions can be given. The OP wasnt very descriptive.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM

I think anything unequal length will give you rasp.

I agree.

Problem is, once u have it installed, its installed.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Hrmm... I feel like putting on a warpspeed y-pipe to prove everyone wrong here...

Anyone has one sitting around?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 PM

all i'm saying is you get a rasp w/ warpspeed, at least i know about warpspeed, granted you run straight pipe and it'll be eliminated w/ a resonator, any other scenario i can't claim, but i no longer had bees in a can when i installed my resonator
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Schnell kaputt

Really all of us are making assumptions, especially if the OP doesn't provide a sound clip of the actual noise he's referring to so we know what he's talking about especially since bees in the can and rasp has been used interchangeably in this thread.

If it's the actual exhaust note you're complaining about than yes it's due to the unequal length y-pipe. On it's own, it made my car sound like a Cavalier. It's a low, uneven grumble but nothing like bees in the can. Each of them produce completely difference sounds.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by aackshun
Hrmm... I feel like putting on a warpspeed y-pipe to prove everyone wrong here...

Anyone has one sitting around?
I did, but I sold it

I had that WSP y pipe on almost every setup imaginable....in this order:

On my 95 GLE with an un-resonated 2.5" b-pipe and Stillen muffler: Loud and raspy/serious bees in a can

On otherwise stock (current) I30: Quiet, but I think there was still a little rasp on over run.

I30 with test pipe and 2k muffler: Kind of nasty, the unresonated test pipe was not a good idea.

Test pipe, Budget resonated B, 2k muffler: A little louder, more rasp

Resonated test pipe, Budget, 2k: Significantly lowered rasp levels but no other real difference in volume.

New style flex section in WSP y-pipe, resonated test pipe, Budget, 2k: Almost no difference. My flex wasn't torn, but it was frayed badly inside and out.

I'm skeptical that a bad flex section is the usual culprit for rasp in our cars. I think 90% of rasp is caused by unequal length headers/y-pipes. If only I had fully realized this earlier I probably would have gotten headers earlier!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Schnell kaputt

I'm skeptical that a bad flex section is the usual culprit for rasp in our cars. I think 90% of rasp is caused by unequal length headers/y-pipes. If only I had fully realized this earlier I probably would have gotten headers earlier!
If rasp, then I agree. However based on the OP's sig which only indicates a y-pipe and his mention of bees in the can, it was common sense to deduce flex section failure first.

Exhaust sounds smooth when you keep the OEM y-pipe but swap in an aftermarket catback (eg: SP2/WS2). Once the y-pipe was replaced it messed up the exhaust note.

If y-pipe owners have issues with the sound you could have an exhaust shop extend the piping to make it equal length.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 AM

flex failure isnt going to cause a rasp, its going to cause more of a exhaust leak sound
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM

I'm skeptical that a bad flex section is the usual culprit for rasp in our cars. I think 90% of rasp is caused by unequal length headers/y-pipes.
Soooo we can run with this assumption and I can attempt to prove this wrong with my Stillen y-pipe then, riiight?

I'm not saying that the flex section causes rasp, I'm saying non-high quality parts cause it
Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 AM

Even tho its beaten to death, I love exhaust threads. They are the most fun.

When i hear unequal length headers, I think of turbulent flow. Turbulent, fast flow plus poorly designed flex section would result in rasp.

in order to decrease that rasp, i would think u either need to smooth out the flow or install a flow resriction to slow it down a bit and decrease its energy. installing a stock muffler should eliminate much of the rasp, resonator will take care the rest.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 AM

More than likely yours is simply rasp from the test pipe.....
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 AM

I did, but I sold it

I had that WSP y pipe on almost every setup imaginable....in this order:

On my 95 GLE with an un-resonated 2.5" b-pipe and Stillen muffler: Loud and raspy/serious bees in a can

On otherwise stock (current) I30: Quiet, but I think there was still a little rasp on over run.

I30 with test pipe and 2k muffler: Kind of nasty, the unresonated test pipe was not a good idea.

Test pipe, Budget resonated B, 2k muffler: A little louder, more rasp

Resonated test pipe, Budget, 2k: Significantly lowered rasp levels but no other real difference in volume.

New style flex section in WSP y-pipe, resonated test pipe, Budget, 2k: Almost no difference. My flex wasn't torn, but it was frayed badly inside and out.

Your rasp is definitely the fact that you like test pipes.....see the common factor in each of your setups.....A hi flow cat mellows out the sound!

Quick Reply: Warpspeed Y; Bee's in a can delete?