4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

00VI VIAS Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 AM

00VI VIAS Delete

Okay, so I've read a lot of different threads on the 00VI swap for the 4th gen. However I can't get a clear opinion on deleting the power rod and VIAS. I have most of the parts 5th gen LIM, 5th gen UIM, 5th gen TB, 5th gen Rear Valve cover, 5th gen injectors but no VIAS. My buddy is making block off plates for my swap and I wanted to know what the power difference was between blocking off the VIAS and removing the power rod VS buying a working VIAS and keeping the power rod.

If you remove the power rod it leaves a hole in between each tunnel. How does this effect air flow and turbulence in the manifold?

I'll be running the larger injectors without a EMU until I get my tax refund and then I will be looking into a Greddy E-Manage with a wide band.

Sorry if these questions have been answered already somewhere, I've read over at least 25 threads and couldn't find much on the topic.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 AM

If your running larger injectors, wait until you have the funds to deal with ECM. It will run like crap with large injectors and the factory ecu. Eliminating he VIAS will kill your low end power. It will be slower below ~4800 rpm.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM

You will lose power in the low to mid range with the power rod deleted. If you do delete the power rod, you need to extend your rev limit to 7200 or so to take advantage of the power rod being deleted. It will give you greater power above 5,000 at the sacrifice of lower rpm power.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Here is a vid of my car with the power rod removed and fuel cut set at 7100. It doesn't help that I wasn't as tuned below 5k as I was above 5k. But you can see the difference on the tach in first gear.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 PM

This site was made based on most of the threads on the 00VI swap. Check it out if you haven't already. It addresses your question. http://tatanko.boredmder.com/00VI.html
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Here is a vid of my car with the power rod removed and fuel cut set at 7100. It doesn't help that I wasn't as tuned below 5k as I was above 5k. But you can see the difference on the tach in first gear.
Jesus your needle just buries into the redline after 5k RPM

I'm honestly fine with these results... I'm glad you have a video for a visual of what it actually feels/looks like. What mods were on your Max for that run besides the 00vi with block off. 14.7 is a great time.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Jesus your needle just buries into the redline after 5k RPM

I'm honestly fine with these results... I'm glad you have a video for a visual of what it actually feels/looks like. What mods were on your Max for that run besides the 00vi with block off. 14.7 is a great time.
The weather was terrible for racing that day, the Density Altitude was 4500ft . In good weather that would have been a low 14. I had a custom 3.5" maf & intake, portmatched pathfinder throttle body, Altima eBay headers, custom 3" y pipe, 3" test pipe, cattman 3" exhaust, tuned with emanage ultimate and AEM UEGO.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 PM

Oh schmelly one more question. Are you using the 00 LIM or the 4th gen LIM flipped and drilled?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 PM

00 lim and injectors. I also forgot to mention EGR delete.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM

looking into doing the vias delete... schmelly your launch was good and you had good pick up still. i don't know why people are making it seem as if you're gonna have 100 less ft lbs below 5k rpm lol.

i like how it just flies to redline! imagine if you had a lightened flywheel! did the 3.5 headers help with top end too? i read the longer length runners help out top end quite a bit over the stock shorties... savin for 3.5 headers next year!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
looking into doing the vias delete... schmelly your launch was good and you had good pick up still. i don't know why people are making it seem as if you're gonna have 100 less ft lbs below 5k rpm lol.

i like how it just flies to redline! imagine if you had a lightened flywheel! did the 3.5 headers help with top end too? i read the longer length runners help out top end quite a bit over the stock shorties... savin for 3.5 headers next year!
It was a mediocre launch with a 60' time of 2.35 secs.

haha yeah, A lightweight flywheel is on my todo list, but I'm not buying one until my stock clutch bites the dust. No sense in dropping the tranny twice.
Yes and yes. They are good given whats available, but I need a real long tube setup
Old 04-28-2012, 03:19 AM

Its been proven that its faster with a function VIAS at the track and its not just a .1 or .2 in the 1/4 mile. Do a search in the all motor section for 00vi topics, their is a lot info.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
Its been proven that its faster with a function VIAS at the track and its not just a .1 or .2 in the 1/4 mile. Do a search in the all motor section for 00vi topics, their is a lot info.
Regardless if it's been proven or not, it's most likely only been proven from one install perspective. There is many different ways to install the 00VI. Because of this, one set up could be better then the other simply because one uses the 4th gen LIM and the other one uses the 5th. I don't think there is enough information regarding the VIAS delete because not many people go that route. I'd say at least 90% of all 00VI swaps are done with the VIAS and an RPM switch. A lot of installers don't even consider blocking it off because they don't know that they can.

I'm not necessarily saying one is better then the other. All I'm saying is that other mods you have on your car may support which is better. If you have equal length headers and ypipe that give you much more top end, and have the ECU for fine tuning, you may see better gains not using the VIAS. Schmelly is a good example of this, he has a lot of supporting mods to help with the top end of the VIAS block off. If you were to perform 00VI swap on a completely stock 4th gen, you'd probably be better off keeping the VIAS to help with the power you'd be lacking do to stock exhaust and intake. Just food for thought.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 PM

One thing to consider for those doing an 00vi swap is that the 2001 De-k has swirl valves in the lower intake manifold, whereas 2000 Fed spec does not. A California emissions spec 2000 however does have swirl valves.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
One thing to consider for those doing an 00vi swap is that the 2001 De-k has swirl valves in the lower intake manifold, whereas 2000 Fed spec does not. A California emissions spec 2000 however does have swirl valves.
I pulled my lower intake off a 2000 fed spec Maxima and it had swirl valves.. Unless the junkyard mislabeled the year of the car. I didn't bother to check on the door panel to see what year it was.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 AM

it's most likely only been proven from one install perspective.
"Most likely"

Have you even searched on the subject in the all motor section? 00vi rpm switch or 00vi vias searches should keep you busy. I don't need a lecture on your theories. If you want to reinvent the wheel go for it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 AM

I pulled my lower intake off a 2000 fed spec Maxima and it had swirl valves.. Unless the junkyard mislabeled the year of the car. I didn't bother to check on the door panel to see what year it was.
It was mislabeled. Only the 2000 Fed spec came without swirl valves. 2000 Cali spec did, and in 2001, they all came with 50 state emissions (which includes Cali) so those had the swirl valves as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 AM

"Most likely"

Have you even searched on the subject in the all motor section? 00vi rpm switch or 00vi vias searches should keep you busy. I don't need a lecture on your theories. If you want to reinvent the wheel go for it.
Link?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM

"Most likely"

There probably isn't a link I haven't clicked on regarding the 00VI and I've read nothing anywhere showing 100% solid proof that using the swirl valve and VIAS is better than block off. As I said before, Supporting mods on your car will probably determine which is the better option. If you have the mods to support VIAS block off, you'll probably see better gains.

If you provide a link to this "proof" I'll look into it. I checked and couldn't find anything that actually gave 100% proof on this topic. Just a bunch of posts of different opinions.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM

I checked and couldn't find anything that actually gave 100% proof on this topic. Just a bunch of posts of different opinions.
This x100
Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 PM

I love how everyone says search and when you search you end up with more questions than you started with.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Link?
: i know, like wtf is up with these random-a$$ claims.

first of all lets think about it LOGICALLY. removing the vias will improve airflow, its a long stick that turns and changes flow of air into the engine from one runner length to another for better flow at higher rpm. with it removed it allows both runners to be exposed to airflow at all times. yes you will lose some low end torque (who cares these cars have plenty anyway), thats obvious but at higher engine speeds, in theory, you get more flow. not only do you get the full potential of the long runners at higher rpms, you also get x amount of extra air flow from the shorter runner. you don't get that when you have vias because when vias is engaged it closes the other runners.

This makes sense to me... what you're saying doesn't. not saying you're wrong but if you're gonna make a comment and say one thing you better have the knowledge or a link to back it up.

"Most likely"

why don't YOU search for it?? you're the one with the odd opposing viewpoint. it takes a while to sift through info you don't want on a .org search. not gonna waste my time TRYING to see if deleting vias sucks if i've read, heard and seen that it doesn't. don't assign me useless homework, i've already read the right chapters... if you don't want to hear a lecture about our theories why don't you enlighten us with yours, or at least a link, don't be lazy now.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
I love how everyone says search and when you search you end up with more questions than you started with.
ya lol thats why i asked him to search for it himslef. searches are good for 1-2 word keywords like exhaust and intake and suspension, basic stuff like that. Once you start searching for specific things like this you get tons of links you have to go through and you might be lucky finding the answer. On top of that most of the vias delete searches come up for the vq35de :/ they love it

i know of 3 people that have done vias delete on their 00vi'd 4th gens, 2 of which are sc'd and they don't have any negatives. they also removed it while they were doing other mods at the same time so they wouldn't know the specific gains but like i said, no unhappy campers. now i finally see how it acts WOT on an N/A vq30de and i gotta say pretty cool little mod.

i think it would be pretty killer if someone had a flow stack on the filter, 3" intake and MAF, pathfinder TB and vias delete
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 AM

i think it would be pretty killer if someone had a flow stack on the filter, 3" intake and MAF, pathfinder TB and vias delete
FWIW, my video posted earlier meets 3 of your 4 criteria. Just change 3" to 3.5" and it will be 4 out of 4.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 AM

Seriously Schmelly, you have a righteously awesome set up. I hope to get mine set up similarly based off what I've seen you accomplish with your VQ30. Sure we all want a 3.5 swap, but I still think there is much to be seen from my 3.0 before I get the money to finally swap in a 3.5. Until then, I intend to have as much fun possible with my VQ30.

I'm in the process of moving at the moment. After I get all moved in, I'm finally biting the bullet and putting my 00VI swap on. Then I'm going to race my buddy's 7th gen again with hopes that he'll never get past me and to further prove that with the right mods, blocking off the VIAS on the 00VI swap is a good option when considering the swap.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 AM

Seriously Schmelly, you have a righteously awesome set up. I hope to get mine set up similarly based off what I've seen you accomplish with your VQ30. Sure we all want a 3.5 swap, but I still think there is much to be seen from my 3.0 before I get the money to finally swap in a 3.5. Until then, I intend to have as much fun possible with my VQ30.

I'm in the process of moving at the moment. After I get all moved in, I'm finally biting the bullet and putting my 00VI swap on. Then I'm going to race my buddy's 7th gen again with hopes that he'll never get past me and to further prove that with the right mods, blocking off the VIAS on the 00VI swap is a good option when considering the swap.
Thanks, I'm just trying to extract as much power as I can from the 3.0 without messing with internals or forced induction. As it sits right now, it gives most maxima/altima 3.5s a run for their money
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 AM

It's not that complicated. Stock Motor= VIAS>Delete / Modded Motor=Delete>VIAS
& AT=VIAS>Delete / MT= Delete>VIAS
Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BobPezz
It's not that complicated. Stock Motor= VIAS>Delete / Modded Motor=Delete>VIAS
& AT=VIAS>Delete / MT= Delete>VIAS
Is this what you are trying to say?

Stock motor, VIAS > VIAS Delete

Modded Motor AT, VIAS > VIAS Delete

Modded Motor MT, Delete VIAS > VIAS

If this is what you're saying, then 4th gen 5-speeds with 00VIs should not bother with RPM switches and just delete the VIAS rod?

DW
Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 AM

There probably isn't a link I haven't clicked on regarding the 00VI and I've read nothing anywhere showing 100% solid proof that using the swirl valve and VIAS is better than block off. As I said before, Supporting mods on your car will probably determine which is the better option. If you have the mods to support VIAS block off, you'll probably see better gains.
I misinterpreted your comment as some who had not done thier research on the subject.

I still disagare about removing the power or tying the rod opem from my research and experience setting the 00vi switch on my car, the minuscule gains at the top end would not be worth the noticeable low end loss below 4500 rpm. You are free make you opinions and we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by dgoodhue; 04-30-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi

If this is what you're saying, then 4th gen 5-speeds with 00VIs should not bother with RPM switches and just delete the VIAS rod?

DW
Sorry My mistake. Totally didn't realize it's a 4th gen forum. I was referring to a DE-K & to the best of my knowledge. The whole point of a VIAS delete is to get the power rod's restriction out of the intake for more flow.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM

If your going to jump all over me and call me out for being lazy, you should at least know about what your writing about. The 00vi doesn't even have two sets of runners as you suggest.

: i know, like wtf is up with these random-a$$ claims.

first of all lets think about it LOGICALLY. removing the vias will improve airflow, its a long stick that turns and changes flow of air into the engine from one runner length to another for better flow at higher rpm. with it removed it allows both runners to be exposed to airflow at all times.yes you will lose some low end torque (who cares these cars have plenty anyway), thats obvious but at higher engine speeds, in theory, you get more flow. not only do you get the full potential of the long runners at higher rpms, you also get x amount of extra air flow from the shorter runner. you don't get that when you have vias because when vias is engaged it closes the other runners.

This makes sense to me... what you're saying doesn't. not saying you're wrong but if you're gonna make a comment and say one thing you better have the knowledge or a link to back it up.

why don't YOU search for it?? you're the one with the odd opposing viewpoint. it takes a while to sift through info you don't want on a .org search. not gonna waste my time TRYING to see if deleting vias sucks if i've read, heard and seen that it doesn't. don't assign me useless homework, i've already read the right chapters... if you don't want to hear a lecture about our theories why don't you enlighten us with yours, or at least a link, don't be lazy now.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 AM

If your going to jump all over me and call me out for being lazy, you should at least know about what your writing about. The 00vi doesn't even have two sets of runners as you suggest.
well i was under that impression :S so whats vias for... whats it switching if not runner length?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Sorry My mistake. Totally didn't realize it's a 4th gen forum. I was referring to a DE-K & to the best of my knowledge. The whole point of a VIAS delete is to get the power rod's restriction out of the intake for more flow.
thats how i understand it... still applies to us 00vi-ers
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM

I misinterpreted your comment as some who had not done thier research on the subject.

I still disagare about removing the power or tying the rod opem from my research and experience setting the 00vi switch on my car, the minuscule gains at the top end would not be worth the noticeable low end loss below 4500 rpm. You are free make you opinions and we can agree to disagree.
So by research and experience, you've personally removed the VIAS/power rod and blocked it off completely, then ran the car on a dyno? Then you did a comparison run with the power rod and VIAS back on the manifold? Can you provide dyno sheets to compare the results?

I ask simply because that's the only way to prove which is better. Even so, there is still 10 or so different ways to install the 00VI on the 4th gen and it's all relative to your set up and other mods you might have on your car. Do you have headers/ypipe? Are they Equal length longtube? Do you have a piggy back ECU for tuning, Are you using the 5th gen LIM with larger injectors? Are you 5speed or Auto?

Pretty much all these things determine whether or not you'll see good gains from blocking off the VIAS. I personally want to block it off because my car has a significant amount of low end, but practically zero top end. Last time I ran my car on a Dyno the peak power was 191 torque between 3400RPM and 4400RPM. The rest of the power band pretty much fell on It's face after 4800RPM. You can feel the lack of top end power when you drive my car. I Just posted a video of me racing a 7th gen, see for yourself. After about the 1/8 mile the 7th gen just blows past me. This is because of my serious lack of top end power. What I'm getting at is I'd rather lose some low/mid end power to gain a significant amount of top end power.

well i was under that impression :S so whats vias for... whats it switching if not runner length?
The shorter intake runners are for lower speed to improve velocity to increase the blend of air and fuel. The longer runners are for the higher speed. There is a door that looks like a throttle or choke. It closes off the short set and opens the longer set or visa versa. In a nut shell that's all the VIAS and choke doors on the 5th gen LIM are for.

Essentially by removing the Choke doors on the LIM and the power rod on the UIM, you are using a full open long runner with no air obstructions. Increasing air flow at full throttle and giving you a better top end power band as the engine revs past the 5000rpm range.

Last edited by infinimax96; 04-30-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi

DW
If the 5speed has other supporting mods, then you may see more gains from deleting the VIAS. I'm not stating that the block off provides more power than keeping the VIAS. It just shifts the power band to the top end, which a 5speed with supporting mods can greatly benefit from.

When it comes down to it, everyone is different. There is no 100% proof that doing the VIAS block of is better than an RPM switch. It's all based on personal preference, your car and your mods to support it.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Pretty much all these things determine whether or not you'll see good gains from blocking off the VIAS. I personally want to block it off because my car has a significant amount of low end, but practically zero top end. Last time I ran my car on a Dyno the peak power was 191 torque between 3400RPM and 4400RPM. The rest of the power band pretty much fell on It's face after 4800RPM. You can feel the lack of top end power when you drive my car. I Just posted a video of me racing a 7th gen, see for yourself. After about the 1/8 mile the 7th gen just blows past me. This is because of my serious lack of top end power. What I'm getting at is I'd rather lose some low/mid end power to gain a significant amount of top end power.
From that description it sounds like the VIAS isn't opening. Is the VIAS actuator solenoid/diaphragm operating properly &/or is the actuator cup loose or broken on the actuator shaft? #1 problem w/the 00VI VIAS.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM

I have 00vi setup #7. I have 5th gen air box, y pipe, 2.5" catback exhaust, auto and vlsd. My rpm switch is set to 4800 rpm which I found worked best from a seat of the pants. It as pretty obvious were to set it, I wanted to get into the high rpm mode as soon as possible but even with it set to 4600 rpm I could feel it bog for a sec when switching. I ran my car for three weeks before I got around to installing rpm switch so I did do plenty of rod disconnected and rod tied open to see the difference. I have no dyno's and I no interest in doing any dyno's. This is my daily driver and I have another fun vehicle that I play with. I have not gone to the track with my set up. I raced a good friend and found I gained 4 cars in the 1/4 with my y pipe and 00vi. If i happen to be at track meet i would race the car again I was going to tune it but it seems like every time I turn around I have another repair.

You mention about having plenty of torque and giving away low/mid for high end. You don't have to give away low end torque with an 00vi, that is the beauty of the intake. I found the torque went away with rod in high rpm mode. I have read on the all motor section about 00vi pulling the rod high and barely running much quicker than stock. With rod in low rpm the power band really dies after 5000rpm even more so than the usim. That is just my experience.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM

From that description it sounds like the VIAS isn't opening. Is the VIAS actuator solenoid/diaphragm operating properly &/or is the actuator cup loose or broken on the actuator shaft? #1 problem w/the 00VI VIAS.
He hasn't I stall his 00vi yet, that with is a usim.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 PM

3.5 SSIM

Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM

He hasn't I stall his 00vi yet, that with is a usim.
OK. With the DE-K/AT I have, at first the car bogged off the line & ran out of breath on top. My VIAS cup was loose on the shaft & I did the JB Weld fix. Now the car has good low end torque & can spin the tires with minimal throttle from a stop. It also pulls strong right up to the rev limiter w/OD off in 3rd. And really feel the power come on when the VIAS opens @ WOT in any gear. Car is bone stock except for an SR*S catback, so in my case w/ properly working VIAS it's ALL good.

Quick Reply: 00VI VIAS Delete