4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cutting rear ksports

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM

cutting rear ksports

Hey guys, running AGX and ksports but don't like the stance of the rear. Been thinking of cutting a dead coil but wanted to see if anyone has gone this route before I ran with it. Im running 04' 350 touring (18x8 + 30) wout spacers for now and a 225/40/18
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 PM

So your saying its not low enough? Really when you over lower your car it handles worse. Ive never personally cut springs but ive heard to just go half a coil at a time to make sure you dont drop it too much. Personally I wouldnt do it
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
So your saying its not low enough? Really when you over lower your car it handles worse. Ive never personally cut springs but ive heard to just go half a coil at a time to make sure you dont drop it too much. Personally I wouldnt do it
Correct would like the rear a bit lower. I've done this before and had no issues but it was a sprint spring on a
saturn so there's no comparison. I was just curious to see if anyone has done this on a 4th gen.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

I dont think anybody on here is going to support cutting of springs. I promise you that the ride height you have now, probably about 26.5" to the fender? Is going to handle better than dropping it below 26". That is a fact. But a cut-off wheel is perfect for trimming springs if thats what you want to do. Just make sure you go half a coil at a time because the amount you cut off doesn't directly correlate with the amount of drop you will get

EDIT: my car in my sig is at about 26-26.5" if I recall correctly...not too low but not 5in of space like stock either. A happy medium for me

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 02-02-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM

When you lower a car it handles worse. Where the hell do you get your facts??

I'm dropped on progress springs and agx struts. I have my struts set to full stiffness. My car has zero body roll now and is much more confident cornering at higher speeds.

I mean really, you said similar stuff about coil overs too.... check your facts
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM

I said over-lower. big difference. AGX's on full stiff? i feel bad for you on long trips. I have mine set to 2 front and 4 rear inside GC sleeves

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 02-02-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM

I dont think anybody on here is going to support cutting of springs. I promise you that the ride height you have now, probably about 26.5" to the fender? Is going to handle better than dropping it below 26". That is a fact. But a cut-off wheel is perfect for trimming springs if thats what you want
to do. Just make sure you go half a coil at a time because the amount you cut off doesn't directly correlate with the amount of drop you will get
EDIT: my car in my sig is at about 26-26.5" if I recall correctly...not too low but not 5in of space like stock either. A
happy medium for me
Indeed that is roughly where it's at now definitely an improvement over stock but a bit to raked for me, id prefer more leveled. Granted I have no added weight of a sub encloser yet I was really just curious to see if its been done as its not as low as I was shooting for.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Got Retrofit?

Eh, go for it.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 AM

I said over-lower. big difference. AGX's on full stiff? i feel bad for you on long trips. I have mine set to 2 front and 4 rear inside GC sleeves
Your ground control sleeves are the reason you feel sorry... not the struts.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 AM

Cut away my friend, cut on the away. But please make sure the spring seats on the strut nice and cozy after.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 AM

Cutting springs? Smh...should have got the right springs the first time. RESEARCH
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
Cutting springs? Smh...should have got the right springs the first time. RESEARCH
I did RESEARCH, and ksport is what I went with. End result just a schoshe high imo. So unless you have useful insite, refrain from posting.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 AM

honda kids cut springs. it's a maxima not an integra. smh.

it probably looks bad in the rear cuz you dont realize you need spacers on the rear wheels once its lowered.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by anomaly117
honda kids cut springs. it's a maxima not an integra. smh.

it probably looks bad in the rear cuz you dont realize you need spacers on the rear wheels once its lowered.
Wheel fitment has nothing to do with what I am saying. Could the existing +30 use another 10ish mm yes, im just looking for another 1/2 inch or so. Don't see it causing ridiculous handling differences myself, just seeing if its been done!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Wait... You have a maxima... and you want to lower the rear only?

This is news.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by J&J98MAX
Wheel fitment has nothing to do with what I am saying. Could the existing +30 use another 10ish mm yes, im just looking for another 1/2 inch or so. Don't see it causing ridiculous handling differences myself, just seeing if its been done!
oh its been done. Aftermarket springs havent been around forever and back in the day it was your only choice and it was FREE. Once you buy it, its yours lol so just go slow and make sure you have the right tool or it wont turn out. DONT TORCH EM OFF thats for sure
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
Your ground control sleeves are the reason you feel sorry... not the struts.
no they ride quite nicely actually but thanks anyways for your useless comment all the same. Full stiff=race car on city streets I suppose?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:46 AM

just seeing if its been done!
you won't find anybody who's done that on the org
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 AM

JT is jelly of my "stance" and I am jelly of his wheels....maybe we should trade springs for wheels.......hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm
Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
JT is jelly of my "stance" and I am jelly of his wheels....maybe we should trade springs for wheels.......hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm
yea you should find him and when he starts s#!t you shoud get all up in his face and be like all whats ur problem chill man. Gangster **** lol
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM

you failed at being funny. You lose 3 internetz
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Schnell kaputt

Originally Posted by anomaly117
you won't find anybody who's done that on the org
It's been done

A newer member did that with some purple EBay springs recently. If you searched through older threads, you'll find that many members who ran Sprint springs have also done it.

I plan on doing it myself with my CMS springs. Too much rake. Yay to losing more suspension travel
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 AM

K sports are the lowest lowering spring for our 4th gens already.. Don't cut, if you seriously want to slam your max, than spend the 700 bucks and get a used set of coils....I wouldnt ever slam a DD though, Im on eibach pros and it's not bad
Old 02-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bonka
It's been done

A newer member did that with some purple EBay springs recently. If you searched through older threads, you'll find that many members who ran Sprint springs have also done it.

I plan on doing it myself with my CMS springs. Too much rake. Yay to losing more suspension travel
didn't know, my bad. i guess i'm basing that on the fact the a great majority would never do it.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
When you lower a car it handles worse. Where the hell do you get your facts??

I'm dropped on progress springs and agx struts. I have my struts set to full stiffness. My car has zero body roll now and is much more confident cornering at higher speeds.

I mean really, you said similar stuff about coil overs too.... check your facts
I'm not just singling you out, but I really need to make a point.

Lowering your car can make it handle worse. There are all kinds of things to take into consideration to keep the suspension geometry in check. Too bad there are very few Maxima enthusiasts that have taken their suspension setup seriously. Most just want to look cool, drop it, and loose the wheel gap; at the lowest price possible. Wheel gap has nothing to do with suspension. $80 ebay 2.2" drop looks cool, that's it. It's not safe. It's not practical. It's not at all a good handling setup. Spend the money, do it right, deal with wheel gap.

Do you have any idea how compression and rebound work? That's what you are adjusting with the **** on the struts. Setting your strut to full stiff is going to limit how well your tires stay in contact with the road. When your tires can't stay in contact with the road, you loose control of the car. It rides like crap and is not safe. You are using struts to tune body roll? You are doing it wrong. If you absolutely think body roll is bad, up the spring rate or get a RSB.

AGX are the worst strut money can buy. Ask me how I know. I'll just tell you, I've had them. I've paired them with Eibach, Intrax, CMS, and stock. You can not tune them to the spring. The ride is either bouncy or rough. In internet terms, they suck. Illuminas are just about as bad. Koni's are the only strut worth pairing with a lowering spring.

FWIW, I also had Ground Controls. They were paired with CSK and rode far better than any spring I paired with AGX.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 AM

It has been done by jnco... Not on ksports but sprints... Lets just say, it looked good, rode like crap, and when I found his original sprints, he swapped back to those within a week... Your ride will suffer. No it wont affect your handling, it will just be bumpy and harsh...
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 PM

I did RESEARCH, and ksport is what I went with. End result just a schoshe high imo. So unless you have useful insite, refrain from posting.
Ha don't mean to single you out bro, but I think in the future you will eventually regret cutting those springs. Less wheel gap is not worth the worse ride quality for you to endure. If you do want it lower, check out Ground Controls. They're cheaper than COs and if you know how to toy with them I believe your car will handle better than it does on the K-Sports
Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 PM

im just looking for another 1/2 inch or so.
Put a speaker box or some tools n' **** back there. You'll get your 1/2 inch you're looking for.

Oh, and don't cut your springs.

If you're really that **** about the exact ride height of your car that a 1/2 inch is bothering you, then get coilovers.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Put a speaker box or some tools n' **** back there. You'll get your 1/2 inch you're looking for.

Oh, and don't cut your springs.

If you're really that **** about the exact ride height of your car that a 1/2 inch is bothering you, then get coilovers.
best post in this thread so far.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
I'm not just singling you out, but I really need to make a point.

Lowering your car can make it handle worse. There are all kinds of things to take into consideration to keep the suspension geometry in check. Too bad there are very few Maxima enthusiasts that have taken their suspension setup seriously. Most just want to look cool, drop it, and loose the wheel gap; at the lowest price possible. Wheel gap has nothing to do with suspension. $80 ebay 2.2" drop looks cool, that's it. It's not safe. It's not practical. It's not at all a good handling setup. Spend the money, do it right, deal with wheel gap.

Do you have any idea how compression and rebound work? That's what you are adjusting with the **** on the struts. Setting your strut to full stiff is going to limit how well your tires stay in contact with the road. When your tires can't stay in contact with the road, you loose control of the car. It rides like crap and is not safe. You are using struts to tune body roll? You are doing it wrong. If you absolutely think body roll is bad, up the spring rate or get a RSB.

AGX are the worst strut money can buy. Ask me how I know. I'll just tell you, I've had them. I've paired them with Eibach, Intrax, CMS, and stock. You can not tune them to the spring. The ride is either bouncy or rough. In internet terms, they suck. Illuminas are just about as bad. Koni's are the only strut worth pairing with a lowering spring.

FWIW, I also had Ground Controls. They were paired with CSK and rode far better than any spring I paired with AGX.

The definition of ricer is doing something for looks. Over-lowering is the definition of ricer. I don't care that I have a inch or 2 of wheel gap as long as I don't bounce around and ruin my Yokohama's from mis-alignment. Everything on my suspension was thought out and paired with my budget so I cant disagree with you more on the quality of AGX's. The reason most people dislike them is because they ride with them on full stiff like that guy who quoted me wrong or simple regurgitate what others have said about them. AGX's on the middle setting both front and rear is a damn good strut that lasts a very long time and paired with GC sleeves is a good set-up for a relatively low cost.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:27 PM

ShockNAwe getting butt hurt in every thread since December 2011
Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM

I was agreeing with him? the only thing I disagreed on was the quality of AGX struts. Shouldn't you be yelling at someone for posting in a month old thread? Tigershark a wannabe mod since he joined
Old 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 PM

^^^^^LMAO I knew I missed the org for a reason!!!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Tigershark a wannabe mod since he joined
Name:  mod.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  20.4 KB
but seriously, if you knew me you would know that I am much easier going everywhere else......I must live up to being the internet police on the ORG
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM

The people who are commenting coilovers. You think if he's resorting to cutting springs, that spending $800-$1000 would be out of the picture.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Cutting springs is always shot down by a lot of people. I too think its a bad idea, but when you think about it, the whole hot rod scene of the early 50's was all self modding by using your own creativity to make your car faster and look cooler than the next guys. I personally have only driven 1 car with cut springs and it handled like crap. For people who don't have thousands of dollars to spend on their cars like some of us do its not the worst thing you could do. The whole point of modding your car is to make it how you like it not how everybody else will approve of it. I said I didnt like viscousmo's car before when I was butthurt but in reality Im actually jealous of it lol. I dont know how to make my car look good at all but I can sure make it sound good lol!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_E_Boi84
^^^^^LMAO I knew I missed the org for a reason!!!!!
You should stick around!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:26 PM

I said I didnt like viscousmo's car before when I was butthurt but in reality Im actually jealous of it lol.
LOL

Quick Reply: cutting rear ksports