4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help on springs!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

Help on springs!!

Which lowering springs are better for our cars?
Eibach pro kit, D2 lowering springs, or whichever ones y'all think. Please I need help before I buy, please post pictures if possible and explain about the ride ect. And thank you!!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Got Retrofit?

What are you going for in terms of drop, comfort, price?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM

i would suggest tein s-tech's since they give the lowest drop, although it's not low enough for my tastes. one thing you'll want to consider is that aftermarket springs call for aftermarket struts as well, since the stock struts are not made to handle the drop.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Eibach - A lil harsh, firm ride, great for handling moderate drop
H&R - Softest spring, nice ride, improved handling moderate drop
Progress - Moderate spring, descent drop, nice handling and ride comfort.
Tein H-Tech's are OK too. Their S-Tech is junk, leaving no suspension travel for the 4th gen. It's only for looks, the drop is just to much for a spring and strut set up.

Good luck with your choice - Search this forum for tons of info.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM

are changing the struts too? another deciding factor
Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM

I would go with the ground control system from Eibach. part numbers start with 6055.xx and the xx are filled with the numbers specifying a strut of your choice. Mine are being made right now and will post back with more info. DONT GO THE CHEAP ROUTE. If you do go with ebay coil overs or cheap springs then you will undoubtedly be replacing them with a higher quality product as I am in the process of. $100 down the drain lol
Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM

back a few years ago the Eibachs had a 1.3" front end drop and a 1.0" rear end drop. With the right wheels wrapped in some clean rubber that can be all you need. A lot of .orgers were using that setup with 17s I think and it looked mighty clean
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for this comparison, I just ordered the H&R springs for my '97 and matching them with KYB AGX struts. I've had Eibachs before on other cars and thought the ride was harsh so was curious to try the H&Rs on my DD.

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Eibach - A lil harsh, firm ride, great for handling moderate drop
H&R - Softest spring, nice ride, improved handling moderate drop
Progress - Moderate spring, descent drop, nice handling and ride comfort.
Tein H-Tech's are OK too. Their S-Tech is junk, leaving no suspension travel for the 4th gen. It's only for looks, the drop is just to much for a spring and strut set up.

Good luck with your choice - Search this forum for tons of info.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 PM

H&R's will def be a more stock like comfy ride quality. I personally want a more performance oriented ride so I went the Eibach route. I didn't think the drop would be enough so I got the ground control for adjustability. A lot of people over drop their car and think the cornering improved simply by dropping it. The suspension is set up with an arc from the factory and over lowering a car doesn't help anything but blowing struts early I guess. I am guilty of all of the above too and went for "look" over functionality and truly better handling. The ground control system should remedy this.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
I would go with the ground control system from Eibach. part numbers start with 6055.xx and the xx are filled with the numbers specifying a strut of your choice. Mine are being made right now and will post back with more info. DONT GO THE CHEAP ROUTE. If you do go with ebay coil overs or cheap springs then you will undoubtedly be replacing them with a higher quality product as I am in the process of. $100 down the drain lol
You honestly should've just gone with coilovers.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
You honestly should've just gone with coilovers.
Agreed...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM

I made the right choice in the end, the ground control are coil overs, just with the strut of your choice lol. In theory a spring/strut should handle the same but it simply does not and the ground control is a quality kit that will last so im happy with my purchase especially for $400 for all 4
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 AM

Only difference between 1000 dollar coilovers and ground control is the tube design and camber adjustableness... qside from that ground control is suitable for a good drop while stil providing a good quality oe like ride... if you NEED camber adjustment you can add camber plates after... everyone is so fast to INSIST on coilovers...not to be a "hater" but coilovers that cost 1000-1800 are overpriced and the downfall to themis you MUST use their shocks....id rather have agxs or illuminas in a coilover versus their own .and alot of the time you break something it will take weeks before they can make the part you need and your car is down...for a good everyday coilover ground control is perfectly fine...a nice.mix between ride comfort and height....and half the cost.....just my opinion....
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned

so many decisions
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

I think I should change the shocks because I have the KYB GR-2's.
Has anyone tried the D2 SPRINGS?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Well its proven on the 4th gens if u want a quality ride w/ a drop of more than 1.5" Front, then you should get coilovers. Anything else will be bottoming out, ride like crap, and blow your strut.

I have H&Rs and tokico blues and i like the setup. It hits a lil harder on the bad bumps than stock but im happy. If i had to do it all over again, i would do illuminas up front on setting 2 and blues in the back.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:09 AM

KYB GR-2s are stock replacement only. They are not performance springs. Check their website.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Only difference between 1000 dollar coilovers and ground control is the tube design and camber adjustableness... qside from that ground control is suitable for a good drop while stil providing a good quality oe like ride... if you NEED camber adjustment you can add camber plates after... everyone is so fast to INSIST on coilovers...not to be a "hater" but coilovers that cost 1000-1800 are overpriced and the downfall to themis you MUST use their shocks....id rather have agxs or illuminas in a coilover versus their own .and alot of the time you break something it will take weeks before they can make the part you need and your car is down...for a good everyday coilover ground control is perfectly fine...a nice.mix between ride comfort and height....and half the cost.....just my opinion....
GC's are garbage with anything other than Koni struts. Yay for no suspension travel!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

Has anyone found any good offers on the Eibach ground control?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Schnell kaputt

You're likely not going to find GCs for less than $400. Look for a used set.

GR-2s can handle a moderate drop but it's still best suited as a replacement item at factory height.

I personally would spend the extra money on a set of Konis as you can shorten them (though it still doesn't mean you can slam the car) if you're going with sleeve coilovers. It saves from doing things twice down the road.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Banned

so the lowest but best one is the Eibach?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Schnell kaputt

Define "best". If best means best handling spring Eibach would probably be it but they are a mild drop spring. Best paired with a good shock (Koni).

If you want the lowest drop spring, those cheap EBay springs (purple) have been the biggest drop I've seen for a lowering spring based on user pics submitted on here, but I think they ran them on OEM shocks which ended up failing. KSport springs also drop low and evenly, moreso than S-Techs based on user pics.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Chris youre sooo wrong....depends on how low they are set.... personally i think slammin a car is a waste...cant barely drive anywhere and it destroys other chassis parts fast...anything from 1.5-2.5 is a good drop on a 4th gen.... i got 2.2 and after settling about 2.5 on progress with illuminas and i think it rides better than any setup ive been in....but again my opinion....its his money his car let him do what he wants.....
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Banned

Chris youre sooo wrong....depends on how low they are set.... personally i think slammin a car is a waste...cant barely drive anywhere and it destroys other chassis parts fast...anything from 1.5-2.5 is a good drop on a 4th gen.... i got 2.2 and after settling about 2.5 on progress with illuminas and i think it rides better than any setup ive been in....but again my opinion....its his money his car let him do what he wants.....
Yes it is my money but i want to put it to good use and everyone tells me a different type of springs that are good to them but honestly i have no idea cause ive never bought a pair so im trying to get the most information before i do anything. Ive always looked at the Eibach because of the handling but i want something that lowers it but doesn't slam it, that's why im looking for springs and not coil overs, oh and im sitting on 18's so im looking for a nice drop thatr wont make my car look 4x4.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM

I got Tein S-tech paired with kyb gr-2. (Will switch to Koni once I get the funds). 225/45/17 front, 215/55/17 rear. (I will switch to 235 when I get the chance). Front feels stiff and the rear feel loose in terms of ride quality (I guess its time to change the trailing arm bushings). And yes I live in a city with sh1tty roads. As most stated, S-techs are more looks but ride quality is not **** either.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Got Retrofit?

Other than the auto-x guys, everyone gets adjustable set ups to slam the car. Anything past 1.5" = no suspension travel.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
OG

Reading through the posts, I'm guessing you won't be doing any serious competitive racing, so spending a large amount on coilovers doesn't seem logical to me.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go H&R mated w/ tokicos. You'll get a decent drop, not too harsh of a ride, and still gain some performance.

Now if you plan on being competitive, then do it right the first time and invest in a good set of coilovers.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Ground control is garbage? I cant believe such ignorance. They are made to fit the strut you specify and I specified KYB AGX. I dont slam my car for looks or car shows. I upgrade my suspension components for a true handling performance increase. Not the illusion of better handling just because you dropped it 2.5". The car was set with a pre determined arch travel and unless you replace major suspension components, you cant change that. Over dropping shortens this travel and performance DECREASES. Over dropping and expensive coil overs on your daily driver is an addiction. It is treatable though lol

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 01-18-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 PM

I have Tokico Illumina struts and springs and as far as ride goes I think its pretty dam good. Especially seeing as I can adjust the struts to become softer or more stiff for a better ride. EDIT: I think the Tokico springs dropped it 1.3" so not that big of drop but decent

I was also looking at the Ground controls for the cheaper price compared to coilovers, but honestly think about it, once you spend the $400 on the GCs then another almost $600 for konis (best struts on GCs as they can be shortened as already mentioned), you may as well buy COs as they are the all around best as far as performance and comfort goes.

You can buy a new set of K-Sports or Megan Racing COs for 850-900, have 30-32 ways of adjustablility and ride comfort and be as slammed or 4x4 as you wanna be. I myself like to be kissing the ground

Last edited by -ReLLiK-; 01-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 PM

My suspension(ground control and KYB AGX's) will come in about $600 give or take but it will be more because im replacing boots and bushings and basically doing a suspension overhaul, so I see what your saying. The advantage? I can change struts if I wanted to. With coil overs, you are stuck and if something goes wrong? who knows what you will pay for new struts on those. I think the GC is a good compromise for those that don't professionally compete but it still allows you to have fun at a local meet or a fun auto-cross event as well. Its performance, but not high performance because I don't need that and i'm not making money form racing to warrant the cost. In the end, with OEM control arms, sway bar and end links the suspension cant be high performance even with the addition of $1000 coil-overs. The travel arch of your suspension doesn't change with that 1 mod
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM

My suspension(ground control and KYB AGX's) will come in about $600 give or take but it will be more because im replacing boots and bushings and basically doing a suspension overhaul, so I see what your saying. The advantage? I can change struts if I wanted to. With coil overs, you are stuck and if something goes wrong? who knows what you will pay for new struts on those. I think the GC is a good compromise for those that don't professionally compete but it still allows you to have fun at a local meet or a fun auto-cross event as well. Its performance, but not high performance because I don't need that and i'm not making money form racing to warrant the cost. In the end, with OEM control arms, sway bar and end links the suspension cant be high performance even with the addition of $1000 coil-overs. The travel arch of your suspension doesn't change with that 1 mod
Stop giving out advice
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM

if you stop putting ricer headlights on and stop the black on black on black addiction? agreed
Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 PM
OG

Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Got Retrofit?

Ground control is garbage? I cant believe such ignorance. They are made to fit the strut you specify and I specified KYB AGX. I dont slam my car for looks or car shows. I upgrade my suspensionOver dropping shortens this travel and performance DECREASES. Over dropping and expensive coil overs on your daily driver is an addiction. It is treatable though lol
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
GC's are garbage with anything other than Koni struts. Yay for no suspension travel!
Reading > you. Like I said, you might as well have bought coils. With pretty much any coils other than Tein's, you wouldn't lose suspension travel no matter how low you'd want to go. You'll learn.

And FYI, if you blow a coil, replacements are only like $100 shipped and you rebuild it yourself. At least it's like that with KSport's. I'm not sure about the other companies since I haven't had experience with them.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM

I don't need that and i'm not making money from racing to warrant the cost. In the end, with OEM control arms, sway bar and end links the suspension cant be high performance even with the addition of $1000 coil-overs. The travel arch of your suspension doesn't change with that 1 mod
reading>you too sir. Expensive coil-overs are a waste of money IMO unless you change you entire suspension, which only adds to the cost and actually NEED not just WANT a high performance ride. Over spending on performance parts you don't need is ignorant.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM

if you stop putting ricer headlights on and stop the black on black on black addiction? agreed
Are you speaking of my OEM retrofitted headlights?

Yeah, you're an idiot.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Got Retrofit?

reading>you too sir. Expensive coil-overs are a waste of money IMO unless you change you entire suspension, which only adds to the cost and actually NEED not just WANT a high performance ride. Over spending on performance parts you don't need is ignorant.
A waste? How so?

Why change what's not broken? There's no need to change every front end part because you're lowering the car. Where you got that idea, I'm not sure of.

If you think I'm ignorant, you need to look in a mirror. You do realize that you're talking all this nonsense about over spending on performance parts that you don't need yet you're purchasing parts solely for "handling performance":
Ground control is garbage? I cant believe such ignorance. They are made to fit the strut you specify and I specified KYB AGX. I dont slam my car for looks or car shows. I upgrade my suspension components for a true handling performance increase. Not the illusion of better handling just because you dropped it 2.5". The car was set with a pre determined arch travel and unless you replace major suspension components, you cant change that. Over dropping shortens this travel and performance DECREASES. Over dropping and expensive coil overs on your daily driver is an addiction. It is treatable though lol
Continue to contradict yourself. It's funny.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM

lol at someone actually suggesting that struts and springs or GC's actually compare to coilovers from a performance perspective...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM

Its a waste because it doesn't improve handling that much. To improve handling then your talking about the arch of the wheel travel and it depends on more than the springs. I assumed you would know this being around for so long. Its not worth it to me to drop over $800 on coil-overs themselves. especially because stock, our cars have no camber or caster adjustments to make anyways. The money is better spent on other things is all im saying im not getting into an insult fest on a forum. Everybody has their opinions. and yes visciousmo I meant whatever it is you want to call those. Good comeback though for someone who wants to start insulting others
Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 PM

when did I compare them? I said they aren't worth it. Goodness reading is at a minimum today. $800 coil-overs dont improve handling as much as people would like to think. I get suspension advice from someone who has been racing and doing performance allignments for almot his whole life. In reality, if you want to have a high performance corner cutter then dont get a 4th gen like me lol

Quick Reply: Help on springs!!