4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help, my '97 front bumper isn't fitting 100% on my '96...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 08:06 PM
Licensed to Spell

Help, my '97 front bumper isn't fitting 100% on my '96...

Hey guys. To those of you who have done the 95/96 --> 97/99 front end conversion, please help (Redmax, yellowbrother, etc.) Well, many months ago when I started doing my 'homework' on this, everyone one I asked assured me that the '97 bumper cover was a direct bolt on for my '96. Well, it is for the most part but I'm having a hard time in one spot. Let's see, how do I explain this? Imagine the two plastic push screws directly under the legs of the grill. The metal hole on the bumper that receives those screws is elevated on my '96 bumper and and also on my '96 bumper cover so it can go over easily. Now the '97 bumper cover isn't raised there, so it doesn't want to go over easily - without bending/twisting the bumper cover anyway. Did anyone else experience this and what did you do? I guess I could just cut away a small 1"x1" square and that should do it. Is that what you guys did? Thanks so much.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IIRC, Yellowbrother said he had to cut one part to make the bumper fit. I'm not sure if it's the same part you are talking about.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Ramius83

I had to do the same thing on my conversion too. Also, that little "scoop" on the driver's side of the car needs to come off too. It is not needed.

Old 01-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by Ramius83
I had to do the same thing on my conversion too. Also, that little "scoop" on the driver's side of the car needs to come off too. It is not needed.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick feedback (gosh I LOVE the .org). Little, "scoop"? I think I know wat you are talking about. I noticed it tonight for the first time, ironically. I didn't think it would get in the way thogh, it does, huh? What is it there for? It is only about one foot long and goes to nothing? All I can see it doing is bringing a smidge of cool airinto the bottom of the engine. ?? Are we talking about the same one? And why does it need to be removed? Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Ramius83

It doesn't need to be removed, however, this scoop is not there on a 97-99 Maxima. And once you get the bumper on, this scoop will have to be bent a little to the passenger's side to fit in right. It looks funny anyways. So just use some elbow grease and remove it. It is held in by little snaps that are a pain in the *** to get off, but it will come off eventually. As far as I know it provides a small amount of air to the engine, but it does absolutely no good what-so-ever.

Old 01-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Licensed to Spell

It doesn't need to be removed, however, this scoop is not there on a 97-99 Maxima. And once you get the bumper on, this scoop will have to be bent a little to the passenger's side to fit in right. It looks funny anyways. So just use some elbow grease and remove it. It is held in by little snaps that are a pain in the *** to get off, but it will come off eventually. As far as I know it provides a small amount of air to the engine, but it does absolutely no good what-so-ever.

Thanks Ram. Well, it's all in place now. however, the scoop is a good 2-3" out of the way. It is completely blocked by the bumper and I don't see it getting any air now but isn't in the way and it isn't visible. I think I'll just leave it for now. Interesting...

Anyway, one last question about this. I don't have my '96 bumper with me tonight but I could swear it had screws permanently attached to it where the bumper meets the fender. There are holes for these screws/bolts on the fender. Now the '97 bumper cover just has holes as well. So now I guess you have to use a nut and a bolt (two handed) instead of just a nut (one handed). Kind of a bummer. So I'm looking at my hardware provided with the bumper cover and I can't make heads or tails of it! I see parts I have never seen and can't imagine using and I don't see 6 matching nuts and bolts that would work for the application I mentioned above. This sucks. I know this is asking a lot but can you explain what the nuts and bolts look like exactly that hold on the bumper cover to the fender?

Thanks so much everyone. It is just so cool to be able to run into the house, log on and ask a question in the middle of you project and get immediate answers. You guys are life savers.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:24 AM
Ramius83

Ok, about those screws on the bumper that mee up with holes in the fender. Those screws are mounted on a piece of plastic. All you have to do is take a flat hard screw driver and PRY that plastic piece off of the bumper and put it on the new bumper. If you look closely enough you will see what I mean. But if you do not know what I mean, read the next paragraph.

Regarding all your extra parts: You should have two strips of plastic with holes in it. Well, the screws go through the holes and then the plastic strip is put into the side of the bumper. Then you push the bumper flush with the fenders and push the screws into the holes in the fender. Then you reach underneath the Maxima and tighten down those screws with the provided nuts. Do you understand what I am saying. If not I will make a corney drawing to explain it.

Old 01-02-2002, 09:44 AM
Licensed to Spell

Ok, about those screws on the bumper that mee up with holes in the fender. Those screws are mounted on a piece of plastic. All you have to do is take a flat hard screw driver and PRY that plastic piece off of the bumper and put it on the new bumper. If you look closely enough you will see what I mean. But if you do not know what I mean, read the next paragraph.

Regarding all your extra parts: You should have two strips of plastic with holes in it. Well, the screws go through the holes and then the plastic strip is put into the side of the bumper. Then you push the bumper flush with the fenders and push the screws into the holes in the fender. Then you reach underneath the Maxima and tighten down those screws with the provided nuts. Do you understand what I am saying. If not I will make a corney drawing to explain it.

Thanks a million Ram, I owe you. Well I'm at work right now so I can't look at the parts. I will e-mail you when I get home if I have any questions after reading what you said and looking at the parts. However, I do feel I have way too many pieces of hardware (nuts, bolts, small plastic, big plastic, etc.) and I also think that's odd that I have to take hardware off my '96 bumper cover. Why wasn't it provided w/ the new bumper cover? Anyway, thanks again.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:18 PM

hey i bet u were wondering where i was, appears ramius did a good job, i still have the scoop in the lower part of the bumper, just curious - did u change the support bar? we had some problems with my old one, but u may not have the same scenario
Old 01-02-2002, 02:10 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by RedMax95
hey i bet u were wondering where i was, appears ramius did a good job, i still have the scoop in the lower part of the bumper, just curious - did u change the support bar? we had some problems with my old one, but u may not have the same scenario
Well, since I don't know what a 'support bar' is, and I am already done installing the front bumper cover, I guess the answer to your question is no. What is it and why would it need to be changed?

Old 01-02-2002, 09:27 PM

Re: :o)

behind the bumper is a long metal bar that goes just about the entire width of the car, its there to suppport the bumper in an accident situation, dont get worried, they are slightly different, my old one just happened to be slightly bent from an accident my mom had in it about 5 years ago
Old 01-03-2002, 04:44 PM

sorry for the late reply but here is what i did...although it seem like ur problem was already solved...but mite as well put in my two cents...just for future reference...everything about the bumper is plug and play except for those two bracket next to the headlights...i just rip them rite out...i believe ramius modify those bracket...the styrofoam piece should fit into the new bumper...no other piece is needed other then the grill...
Old 01-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
sorry for the late reply but here is what i did...although it seem like ur problem was already solved...but mite as well put in my two cents...just for future reference...everything about the bumper is plug and play except for those two bracket next to the headlights...i just rip them rite out...i believe ramius modify those bracket...the styrofoam piece should fit into the new bumper...no other piece is needed other then the grill...

Thanks yellow. Now are you saying you ripped off the metal brackets on the bumper or did you cut out the part that goes over those on the bumper cover? Thanks again for responding, I appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:59 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Thanks yellow. Now are you saying you ripped off the metal brackets on the bumper or did you cut out the part that goes over those on the bumper cover? Thanks again for responding, I appreciate it.
i ripped off the metal brackets...i did not do any modification to the bumper...
Old 01-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

i ripped off the metal brackets...i did not do any modification to the bumper...
I think you worded that incorrectly but I know what you mean (you DID modify the bumper, ... but not the bumper cover). Shoot, that was good thinking. Maybe I should have done that too instead of cutting the bumper cover. Oh well, too late now. Hey, yellow, what did you ever decide on about the grill legs being too short problem? I too like my '96 grill much better than my '97 grill. I was thinking of bringing it to a body shop for a 'leg extension' estimate. Either that or attack it myself with bondo, epoxy, etc. and just bring it in to be painted. What do you think?

P.s. Did anyone else cut the bumper cover instead?
Old 01-04-2002, 09:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

not me, but i had this thread added to the 4th gen faqs about the bumper swap
Old 02-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How much does this conversion usually cost?? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2002, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Davis16
How much does this conversion usually cost?? Thanks!
i say about 3 to 4 hundred...depending on ur parts source...installation labor if any....and painting if any...
Old 02-25-2002, 11:38 AM

about 700 for me, bumper, support bar, grille, and the money came in the d*** good paint job
Old 02-25-2002, 11:43 AM

cost me $220 for everything minus the grille but i did get a spoiler with the trunk. It was alreadly pianted black so...
Old 02-25-2002, 12:20 PM

about 700 for me, bumper, support bar, grille, and the money came in the d*** good paint job
good lord have mercy!!! jesus christ of latter day saint!!!! could've done something a lil bit more special with that kind of money...
Old 02-25-2002, 12:24 PM

ya i know, lets see the bumper was about 150, the bar was 100, grille was 75, and the paint was expensive, fortunately this was my birthday present and didnt cost me a cent
Old 02-25-2002, 12:57 PM

ya i know, lets see the bumper was about 150, the bar was 100, grille was 75, and the paint was expensive, fortunately this was my birthday present and didnt cost me a cent
i went el cheapo on the paint...and now that my lil bro got into a lil fender bender with my max...it doesn't look like it use to..
Old 02-25-2002, 01:54 PM

are you riding stock height? i just scraped my bumper for the first time a few minutes ago i guess thats what i get for having sprints, ive been wanting a lip but am afraid id scrape it everywhere
Old 02-25-2002, 05:20 PM
Producto Colombiano

are you riding stock height? i just scraped my bumper for the first time a few minutes ago i guess thats what i get for having sprints, ive been wanting a lip but am afraid id scrape it everywhere
i'm gonna try the conversion as well. i was wondering if there is any place that will sell a 97/99 bumper cover with the lip already attached, or do i have to get them seperately?
Old 02-25-2002, 06:11 PM

if i'm not careful with my angle then i will scrap...i got eibach springs...and for the other guy...u have to buy the bumper and lip seperate...unless someone is selling it as one...other then that...the closest u'll get is the sarona front...which is not so great in quality/fit...
Old 04-30-2002, 07:39 AM

Question,

What is the "bar" that redmax is referring to?
Old 04-30-2002, 08:12 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Question,

Originally posted by Kevin
What is the "bar" that redmax is referring to?

Kevin, from what I understand, there is an extra crash protection bar that came with the '97/'99s. It is not necessary for the '96 --> '97 conversion, I did not buy one. It's up to you wether you want to or not.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:50 AM

Re: Re: Question,

Kevin, from what I understand, there is an extra crash protection bar that came with the '97/'99s. It is not necessary for the '96 --> '97 conversion, I did not buy one. It's up to you wether you want to or not.
Thanks man. can't wait to do this.

I've been looking around to get my bumper painted. it's mad expensive. so far the cheapest i've found is $250. the bumper cover I found is sterling gray and It's gotta be stripped.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:45 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Question,

Thanks man. can't wait to do this.

I've been looking around to get my bumper painted. it's mad expensive. so far the cheapest i've found is $250. the bumper cover I found is sterling gray and It's gotta be stripped.

Oh yeah, you should have asked me ahead of time. Don't think you'll save any money in the long run by buying a used bumper of a different color. Like you said, it has to be stripped. It would be cheaper to just buy a new one and have it painted. But, oh well, it's done. The end result will be the same and you'll be stoked.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question,

Oh yeah, you should have asked me ahead of time. Don't think you'll save any money in the long run by buying a used bumper of a different color. Like you said, it has to be stripped. It would be cheaper to just buy a new one and have it painted. But, oh well, it's done. The end result will be the same and you'll be stoked.
i agree, also check your pm's
Old 04-30-2002, 11:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question,

i agree, also check your pm's
Thanks folks. When I do my conversion I will be taking pictures of the whole procedure, maybe we can also add them to tha FAQ page.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:37 PM

FYi....just finished my front end conversion. It was a pain in the *** but well worth it for the look. Unfortunatly I didn't take pictures, it was just getting too messy didn;t want to get grease on my camera.

ptatohed- I also cut the bumper cover instead of the Brackets next to the headlight, I don't think it makes a differenc either way.

Kevin
Old 08-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Licensed to Spell

FYi....just finished my front end conversion. It was a pain in the *** but well worth it for the look. Unfortunatly I didn't take pictures, it was just getting too messy didn;t want to get grease on my camera.

ptatohed- I also cut the bumper cover instead of the Brackets next to the headlight, I don't think it makes a differenc either way.

Kevin

Good for you Kevin.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:44 PM

jus curious, if converting to a 97 bumper cover, can you opt to not use a grill at all? i've seen a max w/o a grill and i think it looks cool, although i dun kno if it wuz photochopped.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by aznsap
jus curious, if converting to a 97 bumper cover, can you opt to not use a grill at all? i've seen a max w/o a grill and i think it looks cool, although i dun kno if it wuz photochopped.
Sure, you can opt to not use a grille. But, this will expose the latch mechanism that controls the hood. It will be pretty ugly. Granted, if you saw the photoshop, they probably blacked out the latch mechanism. IMHO, this would look kinda odd, something should be there to fill that space......

Old 01-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by aznsap
Wow, this thread was brought back on its 1-year anniversary date. azn, yes, you can go without a grill. Like Ram said, it is a little ugly. It actually looks pretty darn cool. Very aggressive with a large mouth/opening. But, like we said, there is some ugly stuff you have to look at. I am in the process of removing my '96 honeycomb and placing diamand grilling in its place. So right now I am driving around with no honeycomb (just the upper bar and outer legs). I like it, I wish it looked good so I can keep it. If you do want to go with no grill, I'd at least place some custom grilling in there to hide the ugly stuff.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:14 AM

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a new 97-99 unpainted front bumper cover because mine is has a huge 1 foot hole in it from an accident my mom had during the winter.

Also, do I need new bumper lights or do the 95-96 ones fit?

I know I have to replace the grill and I wanted to get an aftermarket 97-99 billet grill, will this fit with no modifications after doing the bumper conversion?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Ebay has the cheapest prices I have seen. Search under Maxima bumper, and you will pull them up. You can get one for less then $100. shipped.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Bmr4life
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a new 97-99 unpainted front bumper cover because mine is has a huge 1 foot hole in it from an accident my mom had during the winter.

Also, do I need new bumper lights or do the 95-96 ones fit?

I know I have to replace the grill and I wanted to get an aftermarket 97-99 billet grill, will this fit with no modifications after doing the bumper conversion?
I guess E-bay for the cheapest but it won't be genuine Nissan.

Same bumper lights.

Any grill you buy/use will fit fine with no modification.

Quick Reply: Help, my '97 front bumper isn't fitting 100% on my '96...