4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Crusie Control not working...HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Crusie Control not working...HELP...

about 6 months ago i replaced my cig lighter plug along with the fuse. after everything was hooked up and working, a few days later i noticed that my cruise control wasnt working. the plug wasnt working or plugged in since i had bought the car (about 3yrs prior) so i dont know if the reason it wasnt pluged in when i bought the car was due to the cruise control working. at the moment my plug isnt connected and the CC does not work. i tried looking for a fuse under the dash but cant find it. i dont know if the cig lighter plug has anything to do with it but i just find it weird that i got the car with plug not working and CC worked then i fix it with a new one and it stops working. any ideas on what it could be?...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:26 PM

The fuse that powers the cruise control also powers other things like the backup lights. Do the backup lights work?

Another possible cause is the switch on the brake pedal or the clutch pedal. There is a rubber bumper that dries up and falls out, so the switch never gets operated.

Last edited by DennisMik; 12-30-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My cruise cntrl is also not working, id better chk that too
Old 01-01-2012, 10:34 AM

if the light still lights up, but cruise just doesn't engage, check the stoppers on the brake pedals.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The fuse that powers the cruise control also powers other things like the backup lights. Do the backup lights work?

Another possible cause is the switch on the brake pedal or the clutch pedal. There is a rubber bumper that dries up and falls out, so the switch never gets operated.
my reverse lights do work, and that rubber thing did dry up and fall out but it only cost me a penny to fix it lol...
Originally Posted by Snypa
if the light still lights up, but cruise just doesn't engage, check the stoppers on the brake pedals.
this is exactly whats going on, CC light comes on and it doesnt engage. i fixed the rubber thing that the brke peddle had, and now that you and dennis mentioned the rubber thing i think this may have something to do with it. maybe i'll add another penny to it lol...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM

In my case it was the switch on the steering wheel that did not work; replaced it with one from the yard and worked fine, since then no problems at all.

+1 for checking brake switch first. Had a Frontier and it was the problem...had to adjusted.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
this is exactly whats going on, CC light comes on and it doesnt engage. i fixed the rubber thing that the brke peddle had, and now that you and dennis mentioned the rubber thing i think this may have something to do with it. maybe i'll add another penny to it lol...
When you do that, check to see that the pedal does not rest on the switch, i.e., that there is still a little bit of play in the plunger of the switch. If the pedal rests against the switch, the switch will eventually break. The switch is threaded for adjusting. In fact, you don't have to add the penney, adjust the switch.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 AM

sorry to piggy back off this topic but what if your Dashboard cruise control switch doesn't come on? I heard a while back that this is a voltage regulator issue?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

good luck bro
Old 03-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Fixed my cruise control for $1 with a bolt and a nut. The bolt I had lying around and the wing nut cost $1 for 2. I don't recommend a wing nut because it's very difficult to get it keep the bolt in place because of the location of the hole in the brake that touches the ASCD Stop (Cruise) Switch. Anyway, my cruise works but it feels flaky and it won't hold the speed I sent it at. Like if I had it at 45 mph, it will drop to 40 mph over time. Very weird. I guess I'm not used to cruise control.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When you do that, check to see that the pedal does not rest on the switch, i.e., that there is still a little bit of play in the plunger of the switch. If the pedal rests against the switch, the switch will eventually break. The switch is threaded for adjusting. In fact, you don't have to add the penney, adjust the switch.
o havent had time to mess with the brake switch but i think i'll try this first. it seemslike a 5min fix so i'll mess with it when i get off of work tonight and check back to report
Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 AM

i added the extra penny and nothing :/. when i was changing the plugs i came across the cruise control module (or whatever its called) thats bolted to the fire wall and noticed it loose. i remembered that after i did the valve cover swap last year that thats when the cruise control stopped working. could it be that i did not put the cables back on wrong? i checked everything and it all seems to be put back ok, any advise on this?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM

screw cruise control honestly.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 AM

^^^at first thats what i told myself, but after time it gets annoying especially when i drive 50 miles day. plus cruise control will help me with a bit better gas mileage
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 PM

My cruise works but if I press the clutch in, the cruise light blinks at me. Not sure why..
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
My cruise works but if I press the clutch in, the cruise light blinks at me. Not sure why..
The cruise is supposed to disengage when you put on the brakes or depress the clutch pedal.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bobflood
The cruise is supposed to disengage when you put on the brakes or depress the clutch pedal.
Well yeah... If it didn't you'd just keep accelerating. What I'm getting at is the light blinks when the clutch is engaged even if the cruise is not currently set.

An example would be: I just took the freeway off ramp. I disengage the cruise set and come to a stop. Now I'm driving on city roads. Even though my cruise is not set or in use the cruise light will flash whenever I put the clutch in. Not sure if that's normal. My i30 doesn't do it but it's also an Auto, so I wouldn't know the difference.