4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spray on tint on amber bumper lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM

Spray on tint on amber bumper lights

Has anyone used that spray on tail light tint on their factory amber bumper lights? I've searched for pics but have been unsuccessful so I really am looking for daytime and night time pics to see what it looks like at both times of day. I live in Maine and they are fairly strict with lights being the correct color so I want to make sure they will really be amber at night. I know the can says it will but I want to make sure.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 AM

why not just buy these, and throw amber bulbs in them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PC-95-99-Ni...ht_6335wt_1396

EDIT: 5,000th post WOOT WOOT!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Glad I could get you to 5000! And eh, no reason not to buy those really, just looking to save a few bucks if I can get the same results with a $12 can of spray.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 AM

Chrisman287 did his with spray tint IIRC, IMHO the ebay lights look better.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Maxima Owner

i did it years back on my tails on my 4th gen....it works ok.....i personally like the amber lol
Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 AM

niteshades is ****in horse**** dude. dont use that on any part of your car. it looks dull and crappy, no matter how many times you hand polish it... like other users seem to think. it still looks like nite shades.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
why not just buy these, and throw amber bulbs in them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PC-95-99-Ni...ht_6335wt_1396

EDIT: 5,000th post WOOT WOOT!
Save your time the hassle and just buy a black housing amber bumper lense and a amber turn bulb. The tint works fine but if you spray on too many coats you won't see the light. It's very hard and time consuming to lightened the shade so you have to be careful you don't apply too many coats.

The ticket you'll get would cost more the housing and the amber light. Good luck.

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 12-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM

I think going with the smoked housings with amber bulbs would be the best route to take instead of using the tint spray.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
just buy a black housing amber bumper lense .
link?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Got Retrofit?

I've never spray tinted anything lol That crap looks tacky.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
I think going with the smoked housings with amber bulbs would be the best route to take instead of using the tint spray.
this
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Here ya go I got a can of nite shades for free so I said why not, just to see if I was gonna like the black or stay amber

But of course I have changed my set up

Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by renots
You really need a new sig lol
Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM

what he said ^^^^^^
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by renots
Here ya go I got a can of nite shades for free so I said why not, just to see if I was gonna like the black or stay amber

Thanks for the pics. That, along with all the other comments, pretty much made my decision for me to NOT spray them. They look ok during the day but very blotchy when lit.

People recommend black lights on dark cars (mine is green) correct?

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 12-07-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Edit to remove request for pics
Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM

I, personally, like the clear corners on 4th/5th gens.

But it also depends on the color of the car. If you have a dark colored car, I'd say tint them.

I used some Niteshades on the tail lights of my G coupe. However, I don't like the completely blacked out look. I left them sort of a deep red color:

That top pic is the best shot I have of them in the daylight right now. This is pre-wet sanding and buffing. They're crystal clear, now. I need to refinish them, actually, because some scratched the paint right down to the lens on one of them.

I tinted my side markers as well, but they're still a dark shade of amber.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 PM

omg. you ruined your taillights with that dull *** crap.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I, personally, like the clear corners on 4th/5th gens.

But it also depends on the color of the car. If you have a dark colored car, I'd say tint them.

I used some Niteshades on the tail lights of my G coupe. However, I don't like the completely blacked out look. I left them sort of a deep red color:

That top pic is the best shot I have of them in the daylight right now. This is pre-wet sanding and buffing. They're crystal clear, now. I need to refinish them, actually, because some scratched the paint right down to the lens on one of them.

I tinted my side markers as well, but they're still a dark shade of amber.
> You.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM

If you really insist on pictures of the finished product, I'll gladly furnish them. It's dark and cold outside right now, though.

Edit:

Actually. Found one. Low-res. But here.

See? Glossy, just like the rest of the car.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:28 PM

If you really insist on pictures of the finished product, I'll gladly furnish them. It's dark and cold outside right now, though.

Edit:

Actually. Found one. Low-res. But here.

See? Glossy, just like the rest of the car.
Those came out good. You sprayed that on the inside of the lens right? I was just thrown off by the "wet standing and buffing" so now I'm wondering if u did it on the outside.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
Those came out good. You sprayed that on the inside of the lens right? I was just thrown off by the "wet standing and buffing" so now I'm wondering if u did it on the outside.
Nope. It's on the outside.

I prepped the tail lights by hitting them with 1200 grit sandpaper. Then, I taped off the reverse lights (hence why they aren't tinted), hit the tails with 12 or 13 light coats of the Nite Shades, and then went to town putting on a nice, heavy layer of clear.

After the clear hardened, I wet-sanded and then buffed the tail lights to get the orange peel/cloudy look out of them.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Nope. It's on the outside.

I prepped the tail lights by hitting them with 1200 grit sandpaper. Then, I taped off the reverse lights (hence why they aren't tinted), hit the tails with 12 or 13 light coats of the Nite Shades, and then went to town putting on a nice, heavy layer of clear.

After the clear hardened, I wet-sanded and then buffed the tail lights to get the orange peel/cloudy look out of them.
If I were to do my front bumper lights, is spray the inside of them right? After seeing your results I was thinking of trying it by spraying a coat of clear FIRST on the inside, then several coats of the black. Not sure if doing it that way would give me the gloss look or if it will even matter on the amber plastic.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
If I were to do my front bumper lights, is spray the inside of them right? After seeing your results I was thinking of trying it by spraying a coat of clear FIRST on the inside, then several coats of the black. Not sure if doing it that way would give me the gloss look or if it will even matter on the amber plastic.
No, no. Definitely paint the outside only. Painting inside will make them look cloudy and distorted when they're illuminated.

Do it exactly how I told you, step by step. Yours will turn out the same way mine did.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM

No, no. Definitely paint the outside only. Painting inside will make them look cloudy and distorted when they're illuminated.

Do it exactly how I told you, step by step. Yours will turn out the same way mine did.
Won't doing the outside cause the paint to chip when it gets hit with rocks and sand? I live in Maine and its definitely gonna get hit soon with all that crap.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM

don't do it. buy a cheap pair on eBay and it'll work just fine. thu have a lot if styles too for black.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 PM

yeah they look glossy like the rest of the car in a picture from 15 feet away. but up close i bet they arent anywhere near the same finish as your car. i can tell the difference between clearcoat mixed with black and nite shades in real life. its really apparent to me.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM

and

compared to

you can see in your left tail light that it is clearly much duller than the paint next to it.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
You really need a new sig lol
Lol I kno I do I'm just waiting for some cash for drop springs then I can take some new pics.

An honestly bro, do what everyone else has said an get some off eBay an be done with it! You won't be completely happy til you do as the case with me an my nite shaded ones.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 AM

yeah they look glossy like the rest of the car in a picture from 15 feet away. but up close i bet they arent anywhere near the same finish as your car. i can tell the difference between clearcoat mixed with black and nite shades in real life. its really apparent to me.
Hold on.

I'll go get a fawking picture.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 AM

and itll look like nite shades. guaranteed.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Happy?

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 12-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 AM

And yes, I know my car is dirty. It's been raining the past three days.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 AM

not really because im fairly sure that if we parked our cars next to each other id finally be able to show somebody the difference. but dont worry man, this arguments been going on forever.

and honestly, yes, i can still tell that thats nite shades. youll never make it as shiny as clearcoat because theres too much black in nite shades. unless you spray clearcoat over top of it.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 AM

not really because im fairly sure that if we parked our cars next to each other id finally be able to show somebody the difference. but dont worry man, this arguments been going on forever.

and honestly, yes, i can still tell that thats nite shades. youll never make it as shiny as clearcoat because theres too much black in nite shades. unless you spray clearcoat over top of it.
I did spray clear over it...then wet-sanded and buffed. And then some more.

Hence why it's glossier than normal. My buddy put Niteshades on his Civic's tails with no clear coat. Those you can tell are sprayed.

I mean, anyone who's done paint and body before can tell the difference between overlays and Niteshades. Either way, they turned out good, at least in my mind, and I'm happy. Even my buddy who did paint and body for a living for over 25 years was surprised at how well they turned out. Granted, I'm going to have to redo them in the spring, because some moron scuffed up the finish down through the clear.

I wish I had a higher resolution camera than my phone. The phone's cam doesn't do the finish justice.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Happy, homeboy?

LOL....
They dont even look tinted in these pics. But i'm not arguing, I think they look dope in the other pic. The left tail looked pretty spot on with the rest of the car. I dont know what dude was talkin about. Nice G man
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
LOL....
They dont even look tinted in these pics. But i'm not arguing, I think they look dope in the other pic. The left tail looked pretty spot on with the rest of the car. I dont know what dude was talkin about. Nice G man
I know, the sun shining right on them makes them look lighter than they are. But trust me, they're tinted. If they weren't, they'd be a glaring cherry red. Something that I couldn't stand when I bought the car. Hence darkening them up a bit.

Appreciate it, though.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM

i dont want you to think im just doggin on you for no reason. im just trying to let people know if they get them tinted like mine, they will definitely be happy with the results. the difference is in person, not in pics. i used nite shades on my taillights years ago when i didnt know any better. but now i can tell the difference between the different methods of tinting with my naked eye from pretty far away.

and just fyi mine arent tint overlays, theyre clearcoat mixed with black base. and the taillights on my maxima i posted are not sanded, buffed, or anything. just sprayed and installed.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM

heres how mine were with vht niteshades, I didn't tint them excessively, they have some clear coat on them as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM

pretty much the epitome of why i protest niteshades.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Just buy smoked or clear ones. When the whole tail light is tinted I like the clear for the reverse to show but too dark is no bueno looks like a$$ then

Quick Reply: Spray on tint on amber bumper lights