4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spray on tint on amber bumper lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

If you are worried about being legal keep in mind you need an amber reflector up front too. The ebay trash does not have a reflector at all.

I wouldn't spray the stock lights. Get some window tint and apply it to the lights. If you don't like it, just peel it off.

FWIW I have had countless bumper light setups. I have been back to stock for years. Aftermarket lights just look cheap and cheesy to me. Its the end of 2011, that stuff have been played out.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM

yeah so is crossing guard orange.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM

The people that dont like niteshades are the people that dont know how to paint. I personally dont like blacked out lights but like with any paint in order for them to look good you have to know how to properly paint something like Mr.Brett seems to know how to do. If you sand your lights down, sand a little then spray and clear coat in 5mins, yes of course they will look like ****. I sanded my side turn lights for 20mins each and insured they were as smooth as silk. sprayed the nite shades, then sanded with 1000 grit. sprayed 1 more coat of nite shades. Light sand. Then started in on the clear coat and after dry and wet sanding the clear coat and with a polish with an orbital they look professionally done. I don't illuminate my side markers though so I don't have pics with them lit up. If you expect them to look good with no prep and no finish then your gonna be disappointed. However if you take your time sanding before the first coat and then LIGHTLY build up coats and finishing with wet and dry sanding then it looks awesome. I have taken all of the lights on my car off and sanded them down and clear coated them and they all look brand new. At first after sanding them, you will think you have ruined them but in reality that means you have sanded properly. After a clear coat, headlights and fog lights look brand new. If you take the same care with nite shades then they turn out perfect and all for $13? the lights you buy online are a rip and never fit perfectly like OEM's do. Only reason I replace lights is if I find OEM lights at the pull-a-part or mine have broken like my taillights(replaced with online altezza style). End of discussion. If you do it right they turn out awesome. If you dont they look dull and chip 2 months down the road anyways.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 12-11-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:20 PM

^^^^ this is an excellent write up with great explanation! I am still undecided what I am going to do. Thanks everyone for all the input. It's looking like with the niteshades I need to do a lot of work to get it right like Mr. Brett so I may just do the ebay ones and save the headaches.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
^^^^ this is an excellent write up with great explanation! I am still undecided what I am going to do. Thanks everyone for all the input. It's looking like with the niteshades I need to do a lot of work to get it right like Mr. Brett so I may just do the ebay ones and save the headaches.
Its really not so bad. Wal-Mart has a paint section with all of the necessary sand paper stages. Trust me, those aftermarket lights never fit right and usually a buyer will try to tighten them in to fit right and end up breaking them. There is always a gap. Then again you will get pulled over with overly smoked tails. The best thing is to only do 2 or 3 coats and leave some red showing through. Most cops pull you over because by law they have to be reflective. A few light coats. See how you like it. If you don't sand it all off, clear coat it and order the aftermarkets. TRUST ME, they DO NOT fit perfect though. Another idea is hit the pull-a-part and paint a busted one and see how you like it. I just dont like people discounting products when they dont read the directions and do it the right way. WHich is always the hard and time consuming way lol. The way your sig looks though I think you should stick with what you got. Just sand em down and throw some clear on there and it will look glossy and like factory new
Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM

^^^^ just to be clear,I a looking to do the front Orange ones only. I don't have the motivation to do anything with the tails right now. LOL

But I guess this I good for anyone who stumbles across this thread looking or info.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Just do it. you will be pleased. Most cops wont mess with you for that. I used to have mine black but I cant go 5mins without changing something so I sanded it all down(about 20mins to get it all off) and just clear coated it. Looks better than new now. Thats what I would recommend honestly, Just sand em down a ton and get them as smooth as silk and then clear coat till the cows come home while sanding in between coats with a 1000 grit. You will be surprised how dull yours were when you are done. Plus it only costs a can of clear and $5 in sand paper at wally world. I always fix before I buy new.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
The people that dont like niteshades are the people that dont know how to paint. I personally dont like blacked out lights but like with any paint in order for them to look good you have to know how to properly paint something like Mr.Brett seems to know how to do. If you sand your lights down, sand a little then spray and clear coat in 5mins, yes of course they will look like ****. I sanded my side turn lights for 20mins each and insured they were as smooth as silk. sprayed the nite shades, then sanded with 1000 grit. sprayed 1 more coat of nite shades. Light sand. Then started in on the clear coat and after dry and wet sanding the clear coat and with a polish with an orbital they look professionally done. I don't illuminate my side markers though so I don't have pics with them lit up. If you expect them to look good with no prep and no finish then your gonna be disappointed. However if you take your time sanding before the first coat and then LIGHTLY build up coats and finishing with wet and dry sanding then it looks awesome. I have taken all of the lights on my car off and sanded them down and clear coated them and they all look brand new. At first after sanding them, you will think you have ruined them but in reality that means you have sanded properly. After a clear coat, headlights and fog lights look brand new. If you take the same care with nite shades then they turn out perfect and all for $13? the lights you buy online are a rip and never fit perfectly like OEM's do. Only reason I replace lights is if I find OEM lights at the pull-a-part or mine have broken like my taillights(replaced with online altezza style). End of discussion. If you do it right they turn out awesome. If you dont they look dull and chip 2 months down the road anyways.

uh no. i dont dislike nite shades because i dont know how to paint. i dislike it because id rather do mine with a sata4000 and a couple oz of clear, with 10% black mixed in. when you do them like that, all you have to do is scuff the lights, and spray. takes 20 minutes and then i let them air cure. **** your 20 minutes of sanding.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 PM

although im sure people are going to read your half a page rant on spray painting.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM

Its really not so bad. Wal-Mart has a paint section with all of the necessary sand paper stages. Trust me, those aftermarket lights never fit right and usually a buyer will try to tighten them in to fit right and end up breaking them. There is always a gap. Then again you will get pulled over with overly smoked tails. The best thing is to only do 2 or 3 coats and leave some red showing through. Most cops pull you over because by law they have to be reflective. A few light coats. See how you like it. If you don't sand it all off, clear coat it and order the aftermarkets. TRUST ME, they DO NOT fit perfect though. Another idea is hit the pull-a-part and paint a busted one and see how you like it. I just dont like people discounting products when they dont read the directions and do it the right way. WHich is always the hard and time consuming way lol. The way your sig looks though I think you should stick with what you got. Just sand em down and throw some clear on there and it will look glossy and like factory new
Mine fit fine, my old clears fit fine, my buddies clears fit fine, and my cousins clears fit fine
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
niteshades is ****in horse**** dude. dont use that on any part of your car. it looks dull and crappy, no matter how many times you hand polish it... like other users seem to think. it still looks like nite shades.
You have to wetsand it after it dries then use a buffer with compound and then use wax...ive used nightshade many times and it came out looking like glass everytime
Old 12-11-2011, 05:29 PM

uh no. i dont dislike nite shades because i dont know how to paint. i dislike it because id rather do mine with a sata4000 and a couple oz of clear, with 10% black mixed in. when you do them like that, all you have to do is scuff the lights, and spray. takes 20 minutes and then i let them air cure. **** your 20 minutes of sanding.
a $13 can of paint compared to a spray gun. yes very even comparison there for sure guy
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Mine fit fine, my old clears fit fine, my buddies clears fit fine, and my cousins clears fit fine
yes clears fit fine. I was referring to ebay lights and the cheap ones most people usually go with. Clears are over $100 once again my "rant" was referring to the value of a $13 can of paint over replacing the lights. Like I said obviously wasting my breath I was giving price saving options not go out and buy something new. Now these http://www.slickcar.com/details/9465...ail-lights.asp would be awesome but once again I dont know how that removable piece would fit

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 12-11-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM

are you kidding me dude? you think that link you posted is seriously something cool? your opinion is not valid.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:58 PM

I'd def clearcoat after. Not a fan of niteshades though because the fade over time
Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 PM

are you kidding me dude? you think that link you posted is seriously something cool? your opinion is not valid.
Yes they are "cool" to me. As much as I would like to argue on a forum with you, I don't get enjoyment from insulting people. Maybe Im not a genius, or its a genius thing to argue with people over opinions? I don't know its a mystery. Im not going to argue with you about the merits of an opinion. Look it up in the dictionary. Everyone has one and when you understand that maybe you wont waste your time arguing with people and you will spend more time helping people. Your certainly entitled to your complicated and expensive solution to a simple problem.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:08 PM

see, even though i paint professionally on a daily basis, i would still own a spray gun for my own painting projects. you dont have to buy a ****in $700 sata. go to sears and buy a 60 dollar paint gun. because spraypaint is **** to me honestly. the psi, the spray pattern, the millage of the paint, and the amount of work you have to do for it to come out half way decent when you couldve just sprayed it right the first time.

but youre right. my 20 minute 3 step process is way more complicated than your "write-up" that you wrote up there. by the time people are done reading that **** id be done spraying.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 PM

yes clears fit fine. I was referring to ebay lights and the cheap ones most people usually go with. Clears are over $100 once again my "rant" was referring to the value of a $13 can of paint over replacing the lights. Like I said obviously wasting my breath I was giving price saving options not go out and buy something new. Now these http://www.slickcar.com/details/9465...ail-lights.asp would be awesome but once again I dont know how that removable piece would fit
all sets are $20 ebay sets. my tails are from ebay and they fit fine too.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM

see, even though i paint professionally on a daily basis, i would still own a spray gun for my own painting projects. you dont have to buy a ****in $700 sata. go to sears and buy a 60 dollar paint gun. because spraypaint is **** to me honestly. the psi, the spray pattern, the millage of the paint, and the amount of work you have to do for it to come out half way decent when you couldve just sprayed it right the first time.

but youre right. my 20 minute 3 step process is way more complicated than your "write-up" that you wrote up there. by the time people are done reading that **** id be done spraying.
Your missing the point, he asked a question about nite shades and your telling him to buy a spray gun....and a compressor....and paint. Read the thread before you start posting goodness.

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
all sets are $20 ebay sets. my tails are from ebay and they fit fine too.
Ive never found a $20 set before even at a pulla-part. Take a picture of the seam on your $20 set and post it and lets see if it fits fine