4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some ideas for installing aftermarket shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 PM

Need some ideas for installing aftermarket shift ****

So, I went out and bought a cheap shift **** that has the plastic inserts and 3 set screws for my 5 speed standard. I hacked the stock shift lever down but left a little bit of thread left...just In case. Well, I tried to Install the new ****, but as I knew would happen, I stripped the holes for the set screws. So then I hacked the hell out of my stock **** to get the threaded part that is inside. I jb welded that inside the new **** hoping to be able to thread It onto the shifter. Well, it wont screw on now for some reason and just spins without grabbing threads, but if I push down on it, it feels like it is sliding over the threas (if that makes sense). Anyone have any idea what I could do to get he new **** to stay on other than jb welding the whole thing to the shifter? I guess I will do that If I dont have any other choice but if I ever want to remove it, I won't be able to If it is jb welded on. Hope this all makes sense and thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 12-02-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Just the tip.

You could take the whole shifter out and get it rethreaded. A machine shop should be able to do that. Its a 12x1.25 thread pattern.
Or you could get a short throw shifter.
Or you could get another aftermarket **** with good threads on the setscrews. Make sure to use thread locker.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
You could take the whole shifter out and get it rethreaded. A machine shop should be able to do that. Its a 12x1.25 thread pattern.
Or you could get a short throw shifter.
Or you could get another aftermarket **** with good threads on the setscrews. Make sure to use thread locker.
It should be a 10x1.25. I bought a Blox 490 shift **** for my 5 speed Maxima, and that's the size and thread pitch it was.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:40 PM

JB Weld = temporary half a$$ fix.

You can drill some new holes and tap new threads on the aftermarket **** you got which may hold up for a little while.

As for the stock **** and shift lever, I think you've pretty much screwed that part up. If I were you I'd get a short shift kit with a good **** and put those on the car instead. I would not continue down the road you're going with the aftermarket **** or JB welding things to each other.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 PM

I would buy an aftermarket short throw shifter and correct threaded ****. It may cost a bit more but will save you alot of headache bro. I just purchased a 97 max 5spd with a universal shift **** and OEM shifter and it felt like i was driving a truck the damn thing was so tall!....i HATE it!!!! I am currently on the hunt for an OEM **** so if you have the original ill buy it
Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ncmaxvq
I would buy an aftermarket short throw shifter and correct threaded ****. It may cost a bit more but will save you alot of headache bro. I just purchased a 97 max 5spd with a universal shift **** and OEM shifter and it felt like i was driving a truck the damn thing was so tall!....i HATE it!!!! I am currently on the hunt for an OEM **** so if you have the original ill buy it
I really wish I still had the factory **** in one piece but I cut it all up to get the threaded piece inside.

I'll have to look at my aftermarket **** in the daylight cause it threaded on yesterday but stupid me took it off today to check it and now it won't go back on.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 AM

Ok, I think I figured out what I'm gonna do. Gonna drill out the plastic threaded piece from the factory **** that I put into the aftermarket one and get a nut that is the same thread, jb weld it up in the aftermarket **** and call it a day. The plastic threaded piece from the factory **** is what is stripped(no threads at all) so that's why its not screwing on. I can't see why this won't work.

Thanks for everyone's quick input...I'll keep you updated

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 12-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM

I have a aftermarket STs actually cut it down a tad more and rethreaded it and I have a arc **** now. Threaded is better I think but the ones with screws aren't bad as long as there on good
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 PM

Get a screw on *** u like. Hack the old threads off your lever and really thread to fit ***.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Get a screw on *** u like. Hack the old threads off your lever and really thread to fit ***.

Yeah, I think I'll have to hit the salvage yard and see if I can find something that'll fit.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 AM

well this momo shifter that i bought comes with a little plastic cup that goes over the threads u don't need the threads u put shifter on top of the plastic and put 3 bolts on the bottom of it i think i got it for like 90 or which in your case if u buy that **** i don't think u will even need them if u take all the thread off i think the **** will fit right in to the shifter and just use the bolts to tighten it humm i might that try that case my **** is a little high

http://www.momousa.com/products/prod...****-pack.html

Last edited by gerber2022; 12-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM

I've never been a fan of universal fit shift *****. I've purchased several of them over the many years i've owned cars, and they all, sooner or later, eventually start to loosen up, and those little allen head screws can only be torqued down so much before they strip. When I decided to replace the factory shift **** on my Maxima, I did Google searches to see what the thread pitch/size was, and then started searching for a shift **** that threads on. I wanted a weighted shift ****, and I came across the models offered by Blox. I bought one of their 490 shift *****, and couldn't be happier. Solid direct fit, and much better improved shifts. I'm done with universal fit *****, and will never buy another one ever again.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
I've never been a fan of universal fit shift *****. I've purchased several of them over the many years i've owned cars, and they all, sooner or later, eventually start to loosen up, and those little allen head screws can only be torqued down so much before they strip. When I decided to replace the factory shift **** on my Maxima, I did Google searches to see what the thread pitch/size was, and then started searching for a shift **** that threads on. I wanted a weighted shift ****, and I came across the models offered by Blox. I bought one of their 490 shift *****, and couldn't be happier. Solid direct fit, and much better improved shifts. I'm done with universal fit *****, and will never buy another one ever again.
same here i two have had this happend to me but it has been a year that i had this momo **** and i drive rough i given this little **** hell and to my surprise it has held up good but then again like you said maybe after another year or so it might go out i hoping that it will not
Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by gerber2022
same here i two have had this happend to me but it has been a year that i had this momo **** and i drive rough i given this little **** hell and to my surprise it has held up good but then again like you said maybe after another year or so it might go out i hoping that it will not
Good to hear that your Momo is holding up. Those are a higher quality than the cheap crap sold at your local chain auto parts stores. I had one a while back on my 89 SHO, and I got roughly 2ish years out of it before it started to loosen up on a regular basis. Careful torquing with the allen wrench started becoming more and more difficult, and I was finding myself having to re-tighten it every week or so. That's got annoying to do, and I ended up putting the old worn out shift **** back on it. I sold the car shortly after.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 AM

Well, I know I will take some crap for what I did, but here goes. I had a couple different sizes of rubber hose laying around so I took 1 that would fit the threads of the metal part of the shifter and shoved that inside the shift ****, then took a bigger piece of hose that would fit further down the shifter and shoved that inside the ****. Tightened the set screws on the **** and jammed the bastard on there. So, its tight now until I can figure something else out (AKA find $$$ to do it right). I know but I dont feel like screwing with it too much right now.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 PM

i just took off my 5.5 gen shift **** cause it was soo worn and finally a part of the leather was bothering my hand so it was annoying to shift started yesterday so i asked my brother to let me borrow his stock altima se-r **** and its actually way nicer then the maxima one if u ask me even tho its cheaper then the max **** its heavier more weighted by like 40 percent more its a little taller and it reminds me of the euro type *****. i was shifting with it and it feels easier to shift. but last night i ordered a razo short **** my brother had his in his sentra spec-v for 4 years and it still looks brand new and now its in his altima se-r and he put a the stock back in his sentra. when i drove the sentra with the **** it shifts very easily effortless. i may buy some thread lock to make it not wobble when i get it in the mail or possibly a metal adapter
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 AM

I never mess with those crappy universal shift *****. You can get a decent **** thats threaded on eBay for $20. I have one of those, a razo and a b&m. I prefer the b&m since that's the shifter I have. I do wish it was a little heavier though but that's just my preference.