4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Ebay Headers

I've searched the forums for all possible related threads and it seems most people have been satisfied by purchasing their headers from Ebay. Want peoples' opinions on purchasing this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-ST...ht_3236wt_1219

I am aware that shorty headers will not yield as much gains as equal length headers and that the y-pipe will ultimately determine the amount of gains. Still, the price is cheap (don't have money for OBX or Cattman) and it looks promising. I also have plastic ramps to drive the car onto and a friend with all the tools who will help me out on the install.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 AM

I had a similar set a couple years ago. My y pipe flanges were off by 1/4" or so and had to be bent to fit the stock exhaust manifolds. Just sharing my experience with them, you may or may not have that issue since you are installing the headers as well.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I had a similar set a couple years ago. My y pipe flanges were off by 1/4" or so and had to be bent to fit the stock exhaust manifolds. Just sharing my experience with them, you may or may not have that issue since you are installing the headers as well.
So you just had the y-pipe installed? I believe this y-pipe can only fit these set of headers
Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 AM

i would just save your money for some OBX or cattman.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:16 PM

i have a set of these on my car right now

heres my experience the throttle is more responsive, it idles and runs real smooth, i felt a minor performance increase, and they sound good. for the money i have no complaints. my latest best track time was 15.2 at 91mph (im an auto with 225k)

but just a word of advice buy factory header gaskets the ones that are included suck
Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by VQPOWERGLE
Well this is cheap, and I'm not crazy about getting every single HP. Plus I don't have the money

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
i have a set of these on my car right now

heres my experience the throttle is more responsive, it idles and runs real smooth, i felt a minor performance increase, and they sound good. for the money i have no complaints. my latest best track time was 15.2 at 91mph (im an auto with 225k)

but just a word of advice buy factory header gaskets the ones that are included suck
How hard was the installation, and how long did it take? I've heard it is a 6-8 hour job. I'm guessing the OEM gasket and this are the same so I can use the one off the stock manifold?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:05 PM

i would replace the gaskets you could re use them if there in ok shape because there aluminum but new headers new gaskets for me

the install wasnt that bad about 6 hrs is right just a few tips remove the uim abd yank the heat shields off youll thank me later
Old 11-26-2011, 01:53 PM

i would replace the gaskets you could re use them if there in ok shape because there aluminum but new headers new gaskets for me

the install wasnt that bad about 6 hrs is right just a few tips remove the uim abd yank the heat shields off youll thank me later
I'll keep your advice in mind
Old 11-26-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by VQPOWERGLE
Just installed my Cattmans last night and are loving them, yeah I say OBX or Cattmans...
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Just installed my Cattmans last night and are loving them, yeah I say OBX or Cattmans...
I'd have to wait too long to have the money for them and I am an impatient person. And I know I'd get more gains...:'(
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
So you just had the y-pipe installed? I believe this y-pipe can only fit these set of headers
Yes. Then I pulled it off for a set of Altima headers off ebay.
No, look at the y pipe in the ebay link and compare it to warpspeed or cattman y pipe.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Yes. Then I pulled it off for a set of Altima headers off ebay.
No, look at the y pipe in the ebay link and compare it to warpspeed or cattman y pipe.
Did you feel a significant difference in performance and exhaust note? It seems to me for those altima headers you don't need an extension on a socket wrench to bolt the y-pipe to the headers, because they are much longer, whereas for the shorties you do
Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Did you feel a significant difference in performance and exhaust note? It seems to me for those altima headers you don't need an extension on a socket wrench to bolt the y-pipe to the headers, because they are much longer, whereas for the shorties you do
Performance, yes. Even with going from y pipe to headers. Exhaust note was no louder since my precats were already removed. Starting from stock then installing headers& y pipe, it will get a little louder.

These altima headers are another can of worms. You will have to make a new y pipe and modify the rear header.

Either way, using an extension to install 6 bolts should be the least of your worries.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Either way, using an extension to install 6 bolts should be the least of your worries.
Awesome, I'm looking forward to the sound difference. It's funny, I was mostly worried about having a long enough extension lol. My friend should have all the parts for the job. Rear manifold is a pita from what I've read
Old 11-27-2011, 11:36 AM

I installed a set of the ebay headers and y pipe last night and I recommend using factory header gaskets and I would replace the nuts and studs with header bolts. On the new header the tube of the header is wider than stock and even when perfectly in position the nut would rub against the pipe. Then at the base the nut was hitting against the welds of the pipe to manifold plate. The hardest part for myself was getting the egr pipe on and off. What a PITA!! I am doing a big project so I already removed UIM. The lower and upper oil pans are off as well. I have not started it yet due to the other projests still in progress. I wish you luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 918noah
I installed a set of the ebay headers and y pipe last night and I recommend using factory header gaskets and I would replace the nuts and studs with header bolts. On the new header the tube of the header is wider than stock and even when perfectly in position the nut would rub against the pipe. Then at the base the nut was hitting against the welds of the pipe to manifold plate. The hardest part for myself was getting the egr pipe on and off. What a PITA!! I am doing a big project so I already removed UIM. The lower and upper oil pans are off as well. I have not started it yet due to the other projests still in progress. I wish you luck.
Similar to the ones in the link by chance?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 PM

yes same ones different seller.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...h/4952749c.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...h/cca2bd3f.jpg

I hope those show up never posted pic or link on here before.

Just for fun the rest of car so far.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...h/6e026fe4.jpg

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:53 AM

headers are too much work IMO.

Just get the WS y-pipe and call it day.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 918noah
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/918noah/4952749c.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...h/cca2bd3f.jpg

I hope those show up never posted pic or link on here before.

Just for fun the rest of car so far.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...h/6e026fe4.jpg
Quality looks pretty good. Clean engine bay

Originally Posted by cashoit
headers are too much work IMO.

Just get the WS y-pipe and call it day.
I'm going to bite the bullet and do it anyway. Even If I don't get too much gains from it, I'll at least have more experience working on a car; it'll benefit me with installing future mods
Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Quality looks pretty good. Clean engine bay

I'm going to bite the bullet and do it anyway. Even If I don't get too much gains from it, I'll at least have more experience working on a car; it'll benefit me with installing future mods

O you will get gains, thats a definite. My only issue is are those gains worth the time/effort, especially since the y-pipe will give decent gains for much less work.

On the positive side, install will be good learning experience.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Bump'n it up. Got home and opened the package and lookie here:

I want to contribute to the org and make a step-by-step write up. Let's see how it goes. Quality is AWESOME and I can't wait to run open headers for a little bit. AW YEAH
Old 12-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Don't forget to toss those mainifold gaskets straight in the trash
Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM

awesome i want to buy the same headers and y pipe let us know how i ends
Old 12-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Don't forget to toss those mainifold gaskets straight in the trash
Ha yeah I was surprised how flimsy these things are
Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Can anyone recommend a set of headers that will fit with the warpspeed Y pipe?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 AM

Fed-spec or cali-spec wsp y-pipe? The shorty headers, which come with their own y-pipe, cost less than the warpspeed y-pipe.
Originally Posted by benjie
Can anyone recommend a set of headers that will fit with the warpspeed Y pipe?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Fed-spec or cali-spec wsp y-pipe? The shorty headers, which come with their own y-pipe, cost less than the warpspeed y-pipe.
I'm Cali spec. The headers are not required but would give me the cleaner look that I want. My concern was finding the right Y pipe as my 99 is a little more difficult to work with. Inspection and all.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Is there a header that will work with my budget ypipe
Old 01-08-2012, 05:06 AM

Alright well me and my friends are going to do the install today. Need opinions on these general steps:
1. Remove y-pipe
2. Remove heat shield, O2 of front header
3. Remove front header
4. Remove Intake Mani
5. Remove rear header
6. Install Rear + Front Header
7. Install Y-pipe

Any comments?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Don't forget the heat shield on the rear and the EGR. You can pull the radiator fans if you need a little more room upfront.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Dont re use the old gaskets. The metal gaskets are designed to compress and create the seal. Since they already compressed to fit the stock headers then the seal wont be good. Gaskets are cheap. You might have to go to 3 different dealerships to get them, but itll be worth it. Im going to get the OBX y-pipe but if you have no problems with fitment and it sounds good such then I will consider getting this y-pipe instead and probably just not install the headers unless I have to so please post back with your experiences. Pictures would be great too

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 01-08-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:53 PM

Did you have to use a breaker bar for the EGR? I tried on mine and it wouldnt budge..instead my whole engine was moving on the engine mounts...I felt like I was just twisting the actual EGR device out of my engine.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM

3 hours in, unbolted front header and y pipe form it. completely removed intake manifold. have to saw off y pipe form cat because it is COMPLETELY rusted. IM glad I have 3 other friends working with me. these header bolts are a PAIN IN THE BUTTOCKS took off heat shields of everything.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Dont re use the old gaskets. The metal gaskets are designed to compress and create the seal. Since they already compressed to fit the stock headers then the seal wont be good. Gaskets are cheap. You might have to go to 3 different dealerships to get them, but itll be worth it. Im going to get the OBX y-pipe but if you have no problems with fitment and it sounds good such then I will consider getting this y-pipe instead and probably just not install the headers unless I have to so please post back with your experiences. Pictures would be great too
Stock gaskets can be reused as long as they are still in decent condition. I've removed/installed my headers 4 or 5 times now and my stock gaskets sealed up each time without any issues.

Never heard of OBX selling just a y pipe. If you only install the y pipe out of the shorty header set, chances are the y pipe won't line up properly. When I installed mine the y pipe flanges were about 1/4" off. Your mileage may vary, just sharing my experience.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM

I'm kind of freaking out because this is my first major job and I have to have the car by tomorrow but am kind of reassured because I have one friend who built his engine from heads up who will stay with me til its done and another who is just good with stuff like this and will also chill with me. Hope this is all worth it, I'm having a heart attack
Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 PM

any pics so far?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM

How the hell am I supposed to get the rear heat shield out? form the top? I can't reach the rear header bolts without removing it

No pics unfortunately, i don't have a camera

Oh nvm I think I have to take out the y pipe and slide it out from underneath

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:47 PM

How the hell am I supposed to get the rear heat shield out? form the top? I can't reach the rear header bolts without removing it
Cut off, grind off, drill off or chisel off the heat shield bolt heads! This was the hardest part of Nissan V6 Exhaust manifold removal.....Everything else should easy and straight forward! I've installed Cattman, Obx, Pacesetter, etc type of headers and just take your time....Nissan VQ exhaust gasket reuseable and they're not aluminum but stainless steel....

I just recently acquired this 4th Gen which is equipped with a Warpspeed Ypipe (that I did install for my Buddy),....I like those headers, and I'm sure you should see some performance improvement. Just make sure you do some intake and catback mods to totally benefit from your header mod! I'm interested in those headers since they are so inexpensive....any problems I'll refab them for less then $80!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-11-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM

Is the only thing holding the y pipe the bolts that connec them to the headers and the O2 sensors?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM

GL... on the install did mine solo but got it done and it was all over like 2 in the morning but I did it and saved money on install, now for 5.5 I know i can do it in like 6 hours or less...

Quick Reply: Ebay Headers