4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car died on me! No power, what is causing it to short?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Car died on me! No power, what is causing it to short?

Now I have been digging searching similar post/threads but couldn't seem to find a answer am looking for...hopefully you guys can be a great help!

So am driving down the highway, cruising.. then all of a sudden..Felt like the governor kicked in or something...(I don't drive like that)...car falls on its butt... all powered cut off..speedometer blank...needles all plummet...
No response, I merge over rolling to the shoulder...
so I get my car towed (thank you AAA).. My brother looks at it, notices blown fuse(s) Which I was guessing.. (not like I have spare fuses w/ me)

He traces all of my wiring, and notices the ignition wire getting so hot so soon!
Where you can smell it and see it smoke a bit under the steering/dash
We couldn't figure out why it is doing this, what's causing it to short out like that????? We don't really know the next approach, considering he looked through all my wiring.. is there something we are overlooking missing/skipping???
Any ground issues? etc.
Please help. What to do?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Pullin3RD; 10-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:53 PM

If the wire for your starter is getting hot and smoking, the starter solenoid is drawing too much current or there is something that has cut into the wire. When you turn the key to start, does the engine crank?

Last edited by DennisMik; 10-17-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the wire for your starter is getting hot and smoking, the starter solenoid is drawing too much current or there is something that has cur into the wire. When you turn the key to start, does the engine crank?

Am sorry it was the ignition wire not starter, I edited my post above too.
No car doesn't crank over.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Which fuses does it blow? That will help determine what is shorted.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM

At the starter, disconnect the thin wire that goes to it. This wire is for the solenoid and comes from the ignition switch. Then turn the key and see if the wire still gets hot. If the wire under the dash does not get hot, you have a starter problem.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM

Ignition fuse blown, we looked over the wire diagram
it is possibly a bad injector or one of the injectors is grounded with the manifold?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the replies
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM

It's certainly possible for a fuel injector to short out, but the ignition fuse also supplies power to other things besides the fuel injectors. You can disconnect the injector wires and test the ohms. I think they should be about 12 ohms.

The coil packs also get their power through the same fuse. These have a higher likelyhood of going bad than the injectors. There is also a condensor (capacitor) on the 12 volt line to the coil packs that could short.

Were any other fuses blown? The other thing is that when you said that the ignition wire got hot and smoked, I assumed a certain wire which may have been wrong. Could you describe this wire a little more?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 AM

We checked the front injectors one by one seeing if they were getting the wire hot.
We did not check the under/manifold injectors, would have to break/remove the manifold.
There is 3 of them right?? so we are thinking a injector is bad under the manifold, or a faulty, bad injector harness???? possibly a wire is pinched???

The wire that is getting hot, is black/red
thanks a lot.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 AM

OP,

This is electrical. U are not gonna have fun with this one. U are gonna need the FSM and start reviewing the circuit diagrams. There are a few fuses and relays to replace.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Ahhh, right..okay.. Hmmms..
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM

my first though was the ignition switch may be sticking.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Did you recently change anything in the car? Stereo install, engine mods/repair, lighting, anything? Which side of the ign switch is it, to engine or supply to switch? How about the colors on the wire.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pullin3RD
We checked the front injectors one by one seeing if they were getting the wire hot.
We did not check the under/manifold injectors, would have to break/remove the manifold.
There is 3 of them right?? so we are thinking a injector is bad under the manifold, or a faulty, bad injector harness???? possibly a wire is pinched???

The wire that is getting hot, is black/red
thanks a lot.
The black/red wire I am thinking of is the one under the dash going to the ignition switch. Am I correct on this?

If I am, this wire feeds a lot of other circuits. Most of those other circuits have their own fuses but a few don't.

Please clarify this wire some more - like under the dash, under the hood, approximate area, what it plugs into (if known). There is more than one black/red wire.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Did you recently change anything in the car? Stereo install, engine mods/repair, lighting, anything? Which side of the ign switch is it, to engine or supply to switch? How about the colors on the wire.
engine
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The black/red wire I am thinking of is the one under the dash going to the ignition switch. Am I correct on this?

If I am, this wire feeds a lot of other circuits. Most of those other circuits have their own fuses but a few don't.

Please clarify this wire some more - like under the dash, under the hood, approximate area, what it plugs into (if known). There is more than one black/red wire.
diagram & all of that info you mentioned previous, we've done before I posted thread..
under the dash I believe from the ignition switch, black/red runs around everything like you mentioned it "feeds other circuits too.."

going to check the injectors again and make sure they read 12 ohms like you mentioned before(which we haven't done)
and we are going to have to take off the manifold and check under there (the other injectors) underneath, that I mentioned.. and hope this is the culprit.. I hope we fix the problem and I hope it doesn't keep on happening etc.... thanks man.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 AM

okay.
Update: My car has been sitting in the garage, we did not get a chance to remove the manifold and double check the other injectors, my bro had to swap cars so he could fix something on his car. Anyways he was curious if the car would turn over and surely with a fuse swap and turn of the key it cranked over no problems.. kind of scary..
I dont want to be rolling down the road and same thing happens..
So it turned over but am sketchy on straying to far from home.
am on a swap mentality..
thank you guys for you're help and any other suggestions you guys may have please share I appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM

fuse number 17?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Ignition fuse, if that is fuse number 17, Ill have to double check
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pullin3RD
Ignition fuse, if that is fuse number 17, Ill have to double check
Ignition fuse is not # 17, ignition fuse is letter H under the hood. Not sure why mightyMax95 suggested that one.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 PM

because there is an engine control fuse (in the underdash fuse panel) that when blown exhibits the same symptoms as the OP described. we still have not found the culprit in the wiring for my car.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM

^^^^ Dayumnnnn...

Dennis you're the man

But.... another update... I wanted to get out and take a test drive considering that the car was/is running... So...instead of me taking a cruise lap around my neighborhood..(which I should have done) the car felt torque as normal..so I put faith into my nissan... pulled out on the main road..went a 1/8 of mile if that... and car died..same ****... so we are definitely going to take that dumb manifold off and check those injectors... Ai Yi Yiii!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Okay so we got to the injectors under the manifold and they're fine.
Now I must put it all back together...and see where this all goes from here.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Update: max is rolling, as I was putting baxk together the manifold etc. On the passenger side near o2 sensor, wireharness etc. There is a bracket right on the manifold, it was bent toward the side. It was actually bent over and rubbed onto the wireharness. raw. We did a few tests, put the car on, watched the fuse go..
Wrapped up the raw wire exposed. Took that bent bracket off. New fuse. And am rolling.
Thanks for everyones help on here.
This thread can be deleted.