4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rough highway ride, suspension replacement for front, question about parts....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Rough highway ride, suspension replacement for front, question about parts....

A lesson for all those who drink and drive. I clipped a curb 4 YEARS ago and to this day my Max has suffered numerous alignment/suspension failure
Don't drink and drive kids...at least don't get $hitfaced wasted and drive. So, I've replaced the axles left/right up front and got new tires. I had an alignment done shortly after. Everything is aligned EXCEPT my camber (they cannot adjust camber) so my tire on right is slightly like / if you were looking from BEHIND towards the FRONT. I have 100k on the car. I clipped the front right wheel on a huge curb turning right and hitting the curb at a turned angle. They suggested I get a camber kit to correct this issue. I however feel replacing the rest of whats bent will be the best option. I am not a suspension expert so I'm reaching out to the greatest forum on the planet to help me out. I know about tie rods and control arms and struts and bushings and all that good stuff, but dont know what really would be the most likely to be the culprit for my car riding EXTREMELY rough at highway speeds around 65+. Anything under 65 is relatively smooth. For all I know it might quite possibly be the wheel itself? Bent rim maybe? Idiots not mounting the tires correctly? For another note, my right rear tire has fix a flat, and I'm starting to believe that might have something to do with it. I'm thinking about purchasing this kit to correct the camber issue anyway which is described as:

* Control Arm Suspension kit for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 models *

This 8-piece kit includes:

Left & Right Control Arms w/ Ball Joints

Left & Right Outer Tie Rods

Left and Right Inner Tie Rods

Left and Right Sway Bar Links

Nissan Maxima 1995 - 1999

My question is....am I missing anything...I feel like I need to talk to God everytime I hit Interstate 4...

thanks,
regretful drunkard

Last edited by gatorsteeler; 10-08-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Front Sway bar bushings.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=7.5118

Make sure wheels are balanced and fix that flat.

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 10-08-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Maybe the control arms will fix the camber problem, but none of the other item will affect the camber one way or the other. But the camber problem could also be caused by a bent strut or possibly the strut bearing at the top.

I'm not sure how to interpret the rough ride at highway speeds. I would probably have to experience it. But the way I think, if you had a bent strut, the up/down motion would be restricted and maybe this is a possibility.

What you might want to consider is to take the car to a frame shop, not a wheel alignment shop. A frame shop will tell you exactly why the camber is off.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by gatorsteeler
They suggested I get a camber kit to correct this issue. I however feel replacing the rest of whats bent will be the best option.

Most likely it's a bent control arm.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by gatorsteeler
A lesson for all those who drink and drive. I clipped a curb 4 YEARS ago and to this day my Max has suffered numerous alignment/suspension failure
Don't drink and drive kids...at least don't get $hitfaced wasted and drive. So, I've replaced the axles left/right up front and got new tires. I had an alignment done shortly after. Everything is aligned EXCEPT my camber (they cannot adjust camber) so my tire on right is slightly like / if you were looking from BEHIND towards the FRONT. I have 100k on the car. I clipped the front right wheel on a huge curb turning right and hitting the curb at a turned angle. They suggested I get a camber kit to correct this issue. I however feel replacing the rest of whats bent will be the best option. I am not a suspension expert so I'm reaching out to the greatest forum on the planet to help me out. I know about tie rods and control arms and struts and bushings and all that good stuff, but dont know what really would be the most likely to be the culprit for my car riding EXTREMELY rough at highway speeds around 65+. Anything under 65 is relatively smooth. For all I know it might quite possibly be the wheel itself? Bent rim maybe? Idiots not mounting the tires correctly? For another note, my right rear tire has fix a flat, and I'm starting to believe that might have something to do with it. I'm thinking about purchasing this kit to correct the camber issue anyway which is described as:

* Control Arm Suspension kit for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 models *

This 8-piece kit includes:

Left & Right Control Arms w/ Ball Joints

Left & Right Outer Tie Rods

Left and Right Inner Tie Rods

Left and Right Sway Bar Links

Nissan Maxima 1995 - 1999

My question is....am I missing anything...I feel like I need to talk to God everytime I hit Interstate 4...

thanks,
regretful drunkard
Link to suspension kit? just curious cause i may order that as well, my suspension has 202k stock miles on it and rides pretty rough on the highway as well, new tire/balance/alignment already so time to do some preventative maintainence!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 AM

http://www.gearheaddeals.com/2011/09...uspension-kit/
Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM

the kit i quoted was from ebay....but the price of this one linked was very similar, just look for suspension kit 94-99 maxima
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Yea I don't really trust those sites. I much rather order the kit off eBay. By the way i need to rebuild my front suspension so on the market for a kit also.