4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SS Clutch Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM

SS Clutch Lines

Going this route very soon from stock clutch lines. Recently posted to group buy thread for quote and pm'd guy no response yet after few days so looking into other alternatives. My question what brands are you guys running/ used/ liked/ disliked? Seen on Ebay the RTP brand but hate to invest in something without knowing quality or customer reviews. Will be going one piece, I hear this firms your clutch petal feel (switch to SS). Right now my clutch feels like a little baby esp. when I drive other 5spds.....I need that man feel when I hit the clutch.

Here's the link to what I was looking into:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01-Nissan-Maxima-1-piece-Stainless-Steel-clutch-line-/120587237549?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item1c138f38ad

All help is welcomed here thanks guy's
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Ive had the one from ebay ( don't know what brand it was) for over a year now. No leaks, no issues. It did not really make the pedal any firmer but you can almost feel the clutch engaging through the pedal and it looks allot cleaner. Worth while investment IMO.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Just a word. IMO ss isn't really much better than NEW stock rubber. The difference in deflection is barely noticeable and rubber lasts a very long time. The issue with stainless is that if it isn't rubber coated dirt will work it's way in and start internal rubbing and cause leaks.

New rubber lines and new clutch fluid should fix the issue. Not as cool but cheaper.

evo
Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by evo626
Just a word. IMO ss isn't really much better than NEW stock rubber. The difference in deflection is barely noticeable and rubber lasts a very long time. The issue with stainless is that if it isn't rubber coated dirt will work it's way in and start internal rubbing and cause leaks.

New rubber lines and new clutch fluid should fix the issue. Not as cool but cheaper.

evo
The line is rubber coated. Going from a multiple point connection rubber line to a 1 piece master to slave line will reduce the chance of leaks over time. I cant say much for making is stiffer considering that I used silicone brake fluid in my line after install which is way more compressible than your regular brake fluids.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_man_x
The line is rubber coated. Going from a multiple point connection rubber line to a 1 piece master to slave line will reduce the chance of leaks over time. I cant say much for making is stiffer considering that I used silicone brake fluid in my line after install which is way more compressible than your regular brake fluids.
So you suggest switching the fluids over anything. I swear the brake fluid I use from auto zone and w/e was in there now sucks ballz. I so x10 want a firmer feel in my clutch but am considering going 1 pce SS. Looks cleaner IMO. So Guys Any suggestions for gaining a firmer feel to the clutch? Buddy of mine and fellow orger MaximaSpd85 had the same setup clutch wise before upgrading his and before SS lines and his car felt soooo much better when engaging clutch. Perhaps a very slow leak with very old lines could be the issue.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 PM

I was going to link you to the GD, but I see you have already found it.

I bought mine one piece line from the GD on here. It didn't change the stiffness of the clutch, rather the feel of the clutch. For the first week or so it felt grainy, so to speak, at the engagement point.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by JO95MAX5SPD
So you suggest switching the fluids over anything. I swear the brake fluid I use from auto zone and w/e was in there now sucks ballz. I so x10 want a firmer feel in my clutch but am considering going 1 pce SS. Looks cleaner IMO. So Guys Any suggestions for gaining a firmer feel to the clutch? Buddy of mine and fellow orger MaximaSpd85 had the same setup clutch wise before upgrading his and before SS lines and his car felt soooo much better when engaging clutch. Perhaps a very slow leak with very old lines could be the issue.

lol no no no I'm not saying just switch your fluid. I was saying that I cant speak on it making the pedal firmer since I used a silicone fluid. By all means get the SS line ( I did and it looks awesome plus you never have to worry about it again). But if you want stiff pedal it might just be time to put a new clutch in there man.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 PM

one of the best mods ive done one peice SS line.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 AM

deff a great mod had mine for almost a year i love it
Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 AM

SS Clutch lines are teh shiz.

Shoulda came like that factory, screw all of the driving benefits, I'm all about MAINTENANCE benefits, can go from clutch stuck to the floor to driving in under 15 mins because of the SS line (lol if you look close @ my sig you can see it).
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 AM

am i reading this correct....u guys WANT a stiff clutch????
Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
As said earlir, the stiffness of the clutch DOES NOT change, it just becomes more responsive.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
As said earlir, the stiffness of the clutch DOES NOT change, it just becomes more responsive.
more responsive .

I guess u mean the clutch pedal has a more "tighter" or "precise" feel.

For example, when on a hill at a red light and u are holding the clutch pedal at a certain point, the clutch reacts faster to pedal movement (inputs) than with stock lines.

Thats cool man.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM

No you are not reading this correctly... All that chevron techron you use must have gotten to your head.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM

more responsive .

I guess u mean the clutch pedal has a more "tighter" or "precise" feel.

For example, when on a hill at a red light and u are holding the clutch pedal at a certain point, the clutch reacts faster to pedal movement (inputs) than with stock lines.

Thats cool man.
the rubber clutch line expands under pressure and all those junction points plus the rubber oem line tends to leak i bought a new oem line 2 years ago and in less than year and a half it was leaking again . ss line doesnt give as much so u have a more responsive clutch
Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
No you are not reading this correctly... All that chevron techron you use must have gotten to your head.
Chevron haters mang lol
Old 09-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Chevron haters mang lol
Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 PM

thanks guys for input on this, response was the term I was looking for here. I.E. feeling the clutch engage through the petal. Yes mine I know where that point its but you barely feel the clutch engage under normal driving. Only when driving slow or in traffic do I get time to somewhat feel the clutch engaging. Will be going with this mod. However no one really said where they got theirs from or which one they are using. Still no reply in the group deal section on that guy and email looking to be my next option though I rather get it through the org. Feeling the clutch will make me a much happier camper.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Ive had 0 issues with the one off of Ebay for over a year now.