4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brand Specific: Autolumination.com's Halo.Xenon Bulbs - 6000K vs. 8000k -front look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Brand Specific: Autolumination.com's Halo.Xenon Bulbs - 6000K vs. 8000k -front look?

Anyone have experience with http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm 's bulbs? I'm thinking about buying from them. I'm going for a pure white/bluish look but not too purple using the Halogen Xenon "HID Look" bulbs. There are so many brands out there and I hear many bad things vs. good about each and it's left me just very indecisive and unsure about which to go with, I'm trying to save myself a repeat of trial and error with misc. brands, so I'm looking at the brand below in particular and seeing if any of you know or have experience / would recommend which of these bulbs to get >

Genuine Autolumination Xenon Plasma Sets 100% Premium Quartz Glass (the 9004 $11.99 per set and H3 $8.99 per set ones, the 2nd products on the autolumination.com site below just below the Yellow's)

(Autolumination.com):
Does anyone know if the 6000k (9004+H3) from Autolumination.com look more pure white/bluish or do they have a purple tint to them when viewed from the front of the car?? And what about vs. the 8000k

Thanks.. in advance!

ps.
I realize there are lots of threads on these types of bulbs. But, I have searched. I have found. I have even tried certain brands so far but no luck. So a new search via the .org I found this company, I'm looking for info on their specific bulbs, or your recommendations. If you are going to post, "why bother, just get HID" or something non productive please save yourself the time and other peoples time and just do not post! I suppose if someone can recommend in confidence a brand of halo bulbs that give a nice blue tint/pure white and not so much purple, by all means. I'm interested. I'm NOT TRYING TO MIMIC HID LOOK. I just want a bulb that is blue/white (not purple) so it looks better with my blue LED 194's. Awful yellow stock color just kills the front end.

Summary/In Short: Looking for a bluish/pure white look Trying to avoid purple tint look as much as possible.

Purpose: This is to somewhat match/flow better with my blue LED 194 side runner bulbs. I'm NOT trying to mimic HID. .

Moreover: Already bought a cheaper 'Spark' brand of Xenon Plasma 6000k'bulbs and they were awful, bad output and very purple though were supposed to look blue. So trying to avoid a repeat of this If possible.

Last edited by moonlitesounds; 01-29-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Clarification! x2
Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Additional:

The Diamond Blue Night Vision bulbs of theirs, anyone ever try them? Do they actually improve visibility at night and how do they look when viewed from the front - purple or blue/white?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:51 PM

While colored bulbs may look cool, most bulbs that have tinted color glass (blue/purple/etc.) will negatively affect light output.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM

here we go again....

IBTL....
Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Why not just get an HID kit? Get the color + output + glare.
Makes more sense.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 PM

Ah, I know what you are talking about I am trying to find a halogen bulb that shines a slight blue or even purple light. But I couldn't find anything in retail stores so I just settled on the whitest lights, but some of my friends say that my lights are too blinding even though they're standard Sylvania bulbs.

Also, HID kits are expensive, and they're illegal. I mean I am sure a cop would know that a honda civic would not come with a HID kit legally installed so its not really worth the trouble. But if you want to give me a HID kit for free, I would gladly accept
Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 PM

just get a decent HID kit and call it a day.. Come on now
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM

we sure need better headlights for maxima..not alot of people have money or time to do retro...
Old 01-28-2009, 05:48 PM

http://www.eurodezigns.com/index.htm

i had those and they gave a nice blue tint and were very bright.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by watson
http://www.eurodezigns.com/index.htm

i had those and they gave a nice blue tint and were very bright.

Dead Link... ^^

anyways...
I do thank anyone for posting but how many read that part that said don't post please if you are going to say just get HID's. I don't want to at this time, I have my reasons! So this is the alternative. And there are many brands to choose from, so I wanted to know if anyone has experience with Autolumination.com's 6000k and 8000k bulbs. Or I suppose if someone can recommend in confidence a brand of halo bulbs that give a nice blue tint/pure white and not so much purple, by all means. I'm interested. I'm NOT TRYING TO MIMIC HID LOOK. I just want a bulb that is blue/white (not purple) so it looks better with my blue LED 194's. Awful yellow stock color just kills the front end.

Back to the topic. =)

Last edited by moonlitesounds; 01-29-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM

I don't know how the bulbs you posted above perform, but I do know the best bulbs you can get imo are the Silver Star Ultra. All though they say its white and the brightest they offer it does have a slight blue tint. I bought them just for better light, but shortly after they somewhat appeared blue to me. At least compared to most halogens out there. The price would be about $50 + tax at your local parts store, but you can pick it up on eBay for around $32 shipped give or take. I can't really complain as far as the light output goes since it's the best one you can buy, imo (as far as stock factory terms go).

And my friend swears by "Cool Blue". All though they are like a mini hid look, its way too blueish for me. I think my Ultras are much more clearer to see anyways.

Anyother bulbs out there besides these 2 will probably give you poor lighting only case they are tinted with film as mentioned above. You want to get a naturally looking bulb. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by moonlitesounds
Dead Link... ^^

anyways...
I do thank anyone for posting but how many read that part that said don't post please if you are going to say just get HID's. I don't want to at this time, I have my reasons! So this is the alternative. And there are many brands to choose from, so I wanted to know if anyone has experience with Autolumination.com's 6000k and 8000k bulbs. Or I suppose if someone can recommend in confidence a brand of halo bulbs that give a nice blue tint/pure white and not so much purple, by all means. I'm interested. I'm NOT TRYING TO MIMIC HID LOOK. I just want a bulb that is blue/white (not purple) so it looks better with my blue LED 194's. Awful yellow stock color just kills the front end.

Back to the topic. =)
Well you can get silverstars, but they won't last long. In my experience most bulbs with bluish coating, hell any coating at all, usually don't last long. Not to mention it will kill your output.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Yah I hear Silverstars don't last long... anyone else back that up? As for PETRO's post, hmm.. got a pic of them on your car?

If you get 65/45W draw wouldnt that be fine .. just don't get 100/80w draw.....
Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 PM

I'll provide you some pics tomorrow after work. I'll even put one of my stockers just to show you the difference. And yea I got the 65/45w so we'll see how long it'll last, but so far so good.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
While colored bulbs may look cool, most bulbs that have tinted color glass (blue/purple/etc.) will negatively affect light output.
i will vouch for this, my blue HID look bulbs sucked ***
Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 AM

ALL tinted bulbs I repeat ALL tinted hid,white,purple,yellow, whatever color you want will suck and not last. If you are going to throw money away. Get you a 6dollar hid kit off flea bay and call it good. Get 5k kit if you want clear white.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM

i had the ones that had the blue color bulbs on my other car and they lasted about 8 months until the low beem blew out on one, and the high beam blew out on the other one. It much much harder to see with them in the rain also, i would suggest to just get and HID kit for a true blue color without the affected vision.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Xfactor22
i would suggest to just get and HID kit for a true blue color without the affected vision.
Put your flame suit on.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by riceyasian86
Why not just get an HID kit? Get the color + output + glare.
Makes more sense.
glare ftw.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM

I am currently using Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Bulbs I think that's what it's called or something hawk it was behind the box shows you all the silverstar bulbs output & name and this one was the highest light output for 9004..they cost around 54.99cnd and they are better then stock bulbs..notice a big difference and they give out a bit of a purple light..
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Got Retrofit?

Got mine off eBay. Can't find the exact 1's anymore so don't ask. The seller was xenonranger. Heres a pic:
Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Got mine off eBay. Can't find the exact 1's anymore so don't ask. The seller was xenonranger. Heres a pic:
That's not bad looks ok to me, are they in 'crystal' clear housings or stock housings? or what. Do you know if they're 6000k or do you remember.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM

That's not bad looks ok to me, are they in 'crystal' clear housings or stock housings? or what. Do you know if they're 6000k or do you remember.
That output is horrid. But if you like it i love it. I can see the hairs on chicks .
Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM

hahaha! Okay it's not GOOD. But it's better than what I have now. =p
Besides, driving on the city streets it isn't so bad, they are mostly lit up every where anyhow. So for now... it's ok.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 PM

I've bought from autolumination before and they've been good. I had them on my wifes car for about 2 years without going bad and when I sold it they still worked. I bought ones with a purple light to it. I don't know about the specific ones you're asking about; but the ones I bought worked very well! Hopefully that's more of what you were asking for than the "go for the hid kit" answer. g/l
Old 01-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Got Retrofit?

Yeah better then stock. Stock housings and "6000K" temperature.

Originally Posted by kzoosho
That output is horrid. But if you like it i love it. I can see the hairs on chicks .
Your so used to the power of retro. Your output is amazing compared to mine. But hey at least they're better then stock and I spent a little under $10 shipped for them. Whatever.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM

Yeah better then stock. Stock housings and "6000K" temperature.
Ah yes. I currently have mine in stock housings, but it's poor. I'm thinking it would look better/have slightly better output in crystal clear housings no?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:19 PM

Your so used to the power of retro. Your output is amazing compared to mine. But hey at least they're better then stock and I spent a little under $10 shipped for them. Whatever.
U are right, I did it once and did it right. Why do something more than once when you can have it done and out the way?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Got Retrofit?

Ah yes. I currently have mine in stock housings, but it's poor. I'm thinking it would look better/have slightly better output in crystal clear housings no?
Get some OEM '97-'99 headlight since they're clearer then '95-'96 headlights.

Originally Posted by kzoosho
Why do something more than once when you can have it done and out the way?
When you don't have $, you gotta go the cheap route.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 PM

Get some OEM '97-'99 headlight since they're clearer then '95-'96 headlights.

When you don't have $, you gotta go the cheap route.

Rather than that, I'm going to get the housings from Option Racing... they should be a tad better still with these bulbs than my stock housings. See this pic of them if you want tell me what you think

And, I'm going the cheap route heh. Clearly. So while going the cheap route, of course can't ask for the best, just the best out of the cheap route... if possible. hah

So, anyone else have any thoughts/experience with the bulbs mentioned in the main topic post?
Or, any that they can recommend that aren't purple looking.

For the fogs, has anyone tried the Silverstar Ultras? (H3) or most of you who have used Silverstar bulbs just used them for your headlights?
As perhaps I'll have to settle with them if I find that the 6000k halo bulbs are too dim of a light output. I was driving on a country road last night in the snow and the only safe, reasonable amount of light I was getting were from my stock fog bulbs =S so.

Last edited by moonlitesounds; 01-31-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Got Retrofit?

Rather than that, I'm going to get the housings from Option Racing... they should be a tad better still with these bulbs than my stock housings. See this pic of them if you want tell me what you think
If your gonna go with those, why not go OEM? Those probably scatter the light poorly.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 PM

You think so?? I figured they would allow for more light to be put through the lens as it's the clearest I've seen for a 1pc. Didn't think the beam pattern would be that bad in it, so you think stock 97 headlights may be a better choice really?
Anyone ever try those headlights or very similar ones that can add any input for these with regular bulbs and/or the 'hid' look bulbs?

For the fogs, has anyone tried the Silverstar Ultras? (H3) or most of you who have used Silverstar bulbs just used them for your headlights?
As perhaps I'll have to settle with them if I find that the 6000k halo bulbs are too dim of a light output. I was driving on a country road last night in the snow and the only safe, reasonable amount of light I was getting were from my stock fog bulbs =S so.

Last edited by moonlitesounds; 02-01-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:21 PM

I'll take pics today for you man. Sorry I haven't got to it sooner.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 PM

You think so?? I figured they would allow for more light to be put through the lens as it's the clearest I've seen for a 1pc. Didn't think the beam pattern would be that bad in it, so you think stock 97 headlights may be a better choice really?
Anyone ever try those headlights or very similar ones that can add any input for these with regular bulbs and/or the 'hid' look bulbs?
they don't look much different than the 97-99 headlights. i would take OEM over aftermarket anyday... OEM products almost always stand up to more than aftermarkets do. simple question of R&D budget if you ask me.

I DO NOT RECCOMMEND going with the headlights for < $10 route, mine burned out in less than 3 months within 2 days of each other, so i definitely recommend staying away from those.

as for the OP, though, i do not have experience with those.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by petro2342
I don't know how the bulbs you posted above perform, but I do know the best bulbs you can get imo are the Silver Star Ultra. All though they say its white and the brightest they offer it does have a slight blue tint. I bought them just for better light, but shortly after they somewhat appeared blue to me. At least compared to most halogens out there. The price would be about $50 + tax at your local parts store, but you can pick it up on eBay for around $32 shipped give or take. I can't really complain as far as the light output goes since it's the best one you can buy, imo (as far as stock factory terms go).

And my friend swears by "Cool Blue". All though they are like a mini hid look, its way too blueish for me. I think my Ultras are much more clearer to see anyways.

Anyother bulbs out there besides these 2 will probably give you poor lighting only case they are tinted with film as mentioned above. You want to get a naturally looking bulb. Good luck!
Cool Blue too blueish? I have them. They're just really white, and the hi-beam is pretty good. For the price, they are worth it. They aren't really blue at all though.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM

Chrisman that is a very nice color! That is the exact tint I was going for, but some of the tinted bulbs that I tried still shined white for some reason. But either way, bright white isn't too bad it just doesn't stand out as much, there are some people at my school who bought halogen bulbs that shined green and purple, but for some reason they won't tell me where to get those bulbs. Although I know its basically a cop magnet, since any color other than blue, white, and yellow are technically illegal in Washington...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LEDs - Don't do it.

I've been looking through all of these threads and cannot understand the infatuation with LEDs. I was at first intrigued and read all threads on replacing stock lights due to the smoke / fog / haze issues due the overheating and low quality bulb coatings. I was sold on the concept that this was a better solution, so emailed Autolumination on what my best option was for a 2003 Escalade. My reply was “We have had good results with the 3157 20 led Tower II, 30 led SMT, 7 watt and 5 watt Cree bulbs” so I ordered the Tower II LEDs both the white and amber. They were very cheaply made and two were not even glued well enough to survive insertion. One of the other two had a line of LEDs that did not work, so I basically only got 1 working bulb of the 4. I replied back to Autolumination where the quickly replied with a several page email (apparently they get this a lot) stating that it was clearly my fault and suggested that I should be an electrical engineer to diagnose and fix them myself…no offer to return their faulty equiptment…out $80. They also said that I should have bought the additional components to deal with the electrical spikes so I would have been out even more cash. I then decided to do what others have done and order the 4114LLs and Sylvania 3157A/4157A ST BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Lights which are super sweet…look awesome. I also replaced the blinker lights while I was at it. In total, I think it cost me less than $30 to replace all bulbs and it looks awesome. No burnouts and no more smoke. By the way, I also read all the posts on the smoke / haze / fog headlight issues and cleaned them first with some purified water and a dash of soap rinsed with purified water and then tried again with half and half purified water and alcohol which seemed to do a slightly better job. Hope this helps anyone considering cleaning their lenses, changing their bulbs or considering LEDs. I’d suggest going the simple route; much cheaper and better results. BTW anyone looking for the stock bulb specs:

2003 CADILLAC Escalade

Low beam headlamp
HID-D1R

High beam headlamp
9005SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
9005ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
9005XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
9005CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
3157A
3157NALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
3157A
3157NALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal
3157ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
3157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
3157ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
3157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
880ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.

License plate
194ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light

Front sidemarker
194ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Glove box

Map light
211-2
211-2LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
578LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Dome light
211-2
211-2LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
578LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Step/Courtesy light
168ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Trunk/Cargo area

Daytime running light
4114LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why did you just post a bunch of info about bulbs for an escalade on a maxima forum?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
Why did you just post a bunch of info about bulbs for an escalade on a maxima forum?
thinking the same thing....

I have 6000KHID's no retro fit and mine are bad. My adjustment screws are broken so I need to find a way around it. Stock is a no no, the light pattern is simply dangerous at night (yes yes 6000k glare are too). But, when I'm driving 3 hours to Houston at night, I can actually see the road with the HID's. I'm just trying to find a temporary inexpensive solution to have proper lighting. In my family, they have had bad luck with Sylvania's with them shorting out within 2-4 months.

HELLA makes some clear bulbs that are supposed to be promising. But, they are expensive ($70) and have read reviews on Amazon of them shorting early. Not a risk I want to take with $70 + shipping
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM

LOOK AT THE DATES OF THE THREADS YOU ARE READING!!!

newb