4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What de-energizes the egi relay? (eccs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

What de-energizes the egi relay? (eccs)

I have a crazy battery drain that ive narrowed down to the egi relay by the battery. When i turn the key off it does not click off unless i pull the associated eccs fuse or disconnect the battery. Based on a comparison test i did with another max it should click off within 3 seconds or so. Yes, ive replaced the relay with many others. So if you pull out your haynes or fsms, can anyone help me out? All these damn lines and circuit diagrams are beyond my intelligence i guess because i cant find out what actually sends the signal to deenergize the relay. Could it just be a matter of the ground to that relay?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM

The ECCS relay is energized by the ECM module. There is a white with black stripe wire that runs from the ECCS relay to the ECM module pin 4. When that wire is grounded (0 Volts) by the ECM module the ECCS relay turns on.

It appears that the relay should turn on shortly after the ignition switch is turned to on and turn off shortly after the ignition switch is turned to off. If it does not turn off it can mean that the W/B wire is somehow touching ground or there is a problem with the ECM module.

If you pull the connector that has the white/black wire from the ECM module and the ECCS relay turns off that means the ECM module is keeping the relay turned on. If the ECCS relay still does not turn off when you remove that connector from the ECM module that means the B/W wire is probably shorted.

When/how did the problem start? What made you notice the problem? Have you been doing anything with the ECU module or associated circuits? Is it possible you may have done something to damage the ECM module? What made you decide to even start looking at the ECCS relay?

Last edited by Nopike; 09-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. you sound knowledgable and i hope you can lead me in the right direction.

Anyways, this started happening sometime around the time when i did my clutch, about mid june. The only thing that happened that day is that it did rain and my engine bay got slightly wet, so a short is definitely possible. im just not sure why nothing else went wrong, or how the water got underneath the relay box covers, etc. or it may not have nothing to do with it at all. who knows? anyways, i noticed it when my battery died. after getting it recharged i heard my iacv clicking repeatedly, so i originally thought somehow the iacv was killing the battery. i left that unplugged and the battery was still dying everyday. i then realized that my Emanage Ultimate stayed powered on. So then i knew something was giving power to the ecu at all times. i started pulling fuses to find out which one would turn the emanage off, and it was the eccs fuse. So i then found that the eccs fuse was making the egi relay click off. basically thats how i figured out it was something in the egi circuit. with that being said, i dont think its the emanage or its wiring. i redid the wiring twice since then. i didnt do anything directly to the ecu, but i have heard stories of the iacv taking out the ecu, but thats normally on 5th gens. the car drives normally under all conditions.

maybe sometime this week, im going to pull the battery out, the tray, and everything around there so that i can take a better look at all of the related wiring to that relay box.

Last edited by MaximaSpd85; 09-13-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Nopike is right on the money. However you're thinking about the engine bay getting wet, and it causing a short... you're thinking about it the wrong way. If you unplug the main ECU plug and the relay does not shut off, then the B/W wire to the relay is being shorted to ground. In other words, the wire is pinched against the frame, engine, or has frayed and is touching a ground.

Like Nopike said, its either a short to ground or bad ECM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence MOHFpro90. Not sure it's that simple, but have to start somewhere. It's possible power is still being applied to the ECU Module when it should be turned off. This may be why the ECU module never turns off the ECCS relay.

I really need to spend some time studying the system to understand it and the FSM is sometimes limited in the information it provides.

Maximaspd85 If you have not already done so you may consider removing all of your Emanage wiring to make sure that is not affecting the ECU Module operation.

Last edited by Nopike; 09-13-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM

ok, so tomorrow i will unplug the ecu connector and see if the relay de-energizes. if it does not, then the wire is shorted more than likely. if it does shut off, then its the ecu.

ill also try to run the car without the EMU and see what happens. hopefully itll crank up and atleast idle lol, with the bigger injectors and all.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM

yea, if its the wire, then run another wire from the ECCS to the ECU. If its the ECU, plenty of those in the junkyard.